Kerbodyne Landing Legs

Atom90

6 hours ago, Atom90 said:

Nobody? so sad.

close

HI its not that simple,  the legs in question are part of the KerboDyne plus mod  and as such  for anyone to legitimately create a standalone pack they would have to honor any license used by the original author, and  update repair or modify to achieve full functionality as they have not been updated for some time .  Properly functioning landing legs are not easy to make and  as such many of the people who can do it would rather not  bother spending time on something that belongs to someone else when they could just as easily make their own

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 11:46 AM, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

HI its not that simple,  the legs in question are part of the KerboDyne plus mod  and as such  for anyone to legitimately create a standalone pack they would have to honor any license used by the original author, and  update repair or modify to achieve full functionality as they have not been updated for some time .  Properly functioning landing legs are not easy to make and  as such many of the people who can do it would rather not  bother spending time on something that belongs to someone else when they could just as easily make their own

I don't understand what the problem is, it has a CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 license, meaning as long as you give credit and don't use it commercially you can put it in a new ksp package

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

I don't understand what the problem is, it has a CC BY-NC-SA 3.0 license, meaning as long as you give credit and don't use it commercially you can put it in a new ksp package

Well, just because it can legally be done, doesnt mean it should be done.
If there are no changes/updates/fixes to the parts, and someone just wants these seperated just for ease of installing them alone, instead of installing the whole original mod, then pruning the mod, IMHO, thats not a good idea. If someone does fix these, they should then submit a PR or fix to the original mod dev to update the original mod.
If the orginal dev is not around, and doesnt reply to communications, maybe that someone should consider taking over the whole mod as a whole.

I think it sets a bad precedent to just start splitting out and cherry picking parts of a mod, and releasing them as their own seperate mod.
That can create confusion and a whole mess of issues.

Plus, Spanner is correct, in that its usually better for someone to just start fresh with whole new parts, possibly based on the design or idea of said parts. I have dabbled in fixing/moddifying someone else's old parts, EXTENSIVELY, and have been told by many top, experienced modders, that in most cases, if its not just a simple fix, and it usually never is, its just better and easier to start fresh. After hitting dead ends, and lots of effort to fix things, I whole heartedly agree, especially where fixing the models/textures themselves is involved. Especially if there are more than just basic animations involved.

Edited by Stone Blue

@Stone Blue if the mod is still actively developed I'd agree that you should work with the author(s).

In the case of a mod that's been stagnant for 2 years there's plenty of precedent for peeling out parts into smaller packs. There are a number of great FASA parts packs that credit the original work but only sample out a handful of parts.

6 minutes ago, Espatie said:

Megabig parts packs are not a good idea in general; they take up a ton on memory and resources when users are unlikely to be using everything. Multiple small packs are better than megapacks IMO.

True, but Kerbodyne isn't actually all that big a parts pack.  The rest of the parts even likely work just fine in current KSP - but landing legs have been reworked since it was updated.  If someone were to revive that part (since there's only really the one leg model in the pack), it's worth keeping the rest of the mod around.

All that said - @Bonus Eventus, the author Kerbodyne, was still around as of a month ago.  He's been working on a replacement mod for a while...

Mother is my new mod which will have many of the same features as KP+ did.

I’m releasing the mod in stand alone chunks much like Roverdude and others have done. I’ll be releasing a landing legs pack sometime after the booster pack is released. I plan to include landing legs very similar in style to the KP+ legs.

Edited by Bonus Eventus

On 1/31/2019 at 10:12 AM, Bonus Eventus said:

Mother is my new mod which will have many of the same features as KP+ did.

I’m releasing the mod in stand alone chunks much like Roverdude and others have done. I’ll be releasing a landing legs pack sometime after the booster pack is released. I plan to include landing legs very similar in style to the KP+ legs.

Thanks for your anwser I be wait for the release of your new MOD and you great landing legs.

Atom.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.