Add programable computers

I think if the devs where able to add programable computers it would make the game more fun.

and when I say programable I mean like there is a computer and you can change what the computer tells the craft to do. For example, once you open the computers GUI you have this side bar with lots of actions, variables and commands (for example two of the actions might be: (input craft name) set target (input variable (1) ) | activate (input function) , throttle (input variable (2) ) | target (input variable (1) = range 0.5 (input command). Now all that I said above may seem like nonsense but here a brief description so a variable is information that can change so variable (1) could be something a part like a docking port or a number such as 5. When you do open it instead of all that nonsense it will be in the “blocky” language so what you see is simplified but underneath it is something the computer can read so let’s say variable (1) was a docking port, the function was RCS, variable (2) was 5, the craft name was ship 1 and the command was dock.

you will see something like this:  Ship 1, set target as | docking port | | activate RCS | | & | throttle up to |5|    When | docking port | is in range | dock | . And the game will see something that it can understand.

if this was implemented it would allow you to do stuff such as make the solar panels extends when the battery runs out, make observations and deploy parachutes once below a certain altitude. All while your working on a new craft.

This is already easily doable with the KoS and KPRC (?) mods.    While it is normally not the right answer for "please add X to stock", theses solutions do it so well, it would almost be a waste of resources for the devs to work on such a feature when other things are lacking. 

11 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

This is already easily doable with the KoS and KPRC (?) mods.

I guess what @XBOX-KERBAL1 describes is more something like this:

A simple GUI which provides programm blocks so even people without knowlegde about programming can write an autopilot for their rockets and I have to admit, I would love to see something like this. It's easy to understand, educational and would somehow fit to the game because you would be able to build an autopilot like your rockets: by stacking block on block and enjoy some explosions if anything went wrong.

BUT....this would take a lot of development resources and I'm not quiet sure if it is worth to spent the time and money on a feature, which would probably end like the mission builder (basically the same concept but even SQUAD stopped picking a 'Mission of the Week', probably because there are no more new missions :o)
The problem with such a editor would be the limited scope. Sure, you can use it to build an autopilot which brings your vessel into orbit but are you going to do this everytime you want to launch a vessel or would you like to use the same script everytime? As soon as you get into it, you will just create a script for the most common maneuver: Launch, docking, hohmann transfer and maybe landing. You might be able to share these scripts as well, so you don't even have to do it on your own and just download the script of someone else so the editor will be abandoned as soon as these scripts are done.

So yeah...I like the idea, would love to see it, but I guess it is not worth to implement it.

27 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

<SNIP> A simple GUI which provides programm blocks so even people without knowlegde about programming can write an autopilot for their rockets and I have to admit, I would love to see something like this. It's easy to understand, educational and would somehow fit to the game because you would be able to build an autopilot like your rockets: by stacking block on block and enjoy some explosions if anything went wrong.

BUT....this would take a lot of development resources and I'm not quiet sure if it is worth to spent the time and money on a feature, which would probably end like the mission builder (basically the same concept but even SQUAD stopped picking a 'Mission of the Week', probably because there are no more new missions :o) <SNIP>

I like where you're going with this. It seems like this would be similar (I'm guess cuz i'm not a coder) in complexity to the Mission Builder and would be a lot more interesting to me - specifically because it would be educational and would fit more with the core game (at least as I see it). I, like most others, have launched to orbit literally thousands of times and every time is essentially the same. It would be really fun to be able to use a player friendly drap/drop GUI to write a launch script.

I'd buy a DLC that included a system like this (or gladly hand over $15 paypal to a modder)

Edited by Tyko

16 hours ago, Steven Mading said:

About kOS and kRPC:

Presumably with a name like "XBOX1-KERBAL1", the OP is playing on a console port, so any mod which needs a keyboard and text editor isn't really an option.

I had thought about that after posting, having seen their name.   The console ports are so far behind the PC version that there a better things on the console wishlist first. 

On 1/15/2019 at 5:50 PM, Steven Mading said:

About kOS and kRPC:

Presumably with a name like "XBOX1-KERBAL1", the OP is playing on a console port, so any mod which needs a keyboard and text editor isn't really an option.

Actually your wrong the Xbox one supports keyboard and mouse and there are games that support that feature for example fortnite supports keyboard and mouse on Xbox one.

and keyboards that are designed for Xbox are being released and any keyboard or mouse can support Xbox 

10 hours ago, XBOX-KERBAL1 said:

Actually your wrong the Xbox one supports keyboard and mouse and there are games that support that feature for example fortnite supports keyboard and mouse on Xbox one.

and keyboards that are designed for Xbox are being released and any keyboard or mouse can support Xbox 

Where is xbox's equivalent of notepad.exe so you can type in some simple code for these mods?

Where is xbox's ability to alter its firewall rules to let an external box connect to an RPC server inside KSP?

And has the xbox port of KSP allowed any of the KSP mods to run on it yet?

I doubt someone on xbox is going to be using either kRPC or kOS.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.