The inevitable 1.9 and what comes after

On 1/16/2019 at 8:25 AM, steve_v said:

All the communities I have been involved in had less complaining before the lack of developer interaction and incessant pr-speak started. Which came first?

Spot on.

One of the worst communities I've ever seen is the forums for Elite Dangerous, and the only correlation I find is the sickeningly PR-laden devspeak (and I do mean it'll make you sick some of the crap they come out with), ignorance of problems, shameless exploitation of their customer base, evasiveness or just straight silence from the devs. Any company choosing that path ends up with a toxic community divided between people (rightfully or not) complaining about bugs/stupid design decisions, penny pinching and radio silence from the powers that be, and the most depressing phenomenon you'll witness on the internet: people white knighting for a company that isn't even paying them for the service, because they spent €1000 on cosmetic DLC and feel obligated to justify their purchase to the point of absurdity. The most outspoken proverbial bootlickers often end up as forum moderators too, which, as you can imagine, only exasperates the toxicity of the forum until everyone who actually wants to enjoy the game has left.

You don't know how good we have it here, this place is practically a basket full of kittens in comparison. I hope it doesn't go down the same path, but even post-exodus Squad can't possibly be worse than Frontier.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah man, 1.7 will be followed by 2, but it'll be internally versioned as 1.10.

Unity isn't that bad considering what it's doing. The problem with KSP is that it's one of those things that started with what's easy and then ballooned from there, accruing new features that it was never originally intended to have. KSP could do something like switch to fixed-point arithmetic, but that'd be a lot of development time down the drain just to fix a few bugs.

In the long run, I would expect a sequel to fix the major bugs. Starting from scratch using lessons learned is often the bast way forward when it comes to code.

In the meantime, the game is veeeery slowly getting the bugs worked out, the old art replaced, and the QoL features added. Wheels might still be unpredictable, and craft may float above the surface of Mars in RO, but the game will have a lot less of those moments where you just stare in the VAB at what you have to do to get what you want and go "why, Kraken, why?".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.