Flat-Bottom Shuttle Systems

Starlord Kerman

EXIuY7J.png

Flat-Bottom Shuttle Systems is a modular parts pack which allows you to build flat-bottom space planes!

These parts have a triangular cross-section of 2.5m and, due to the flat bottom, provide some lift. Please note, the RasterPropMonitor mod is required for the IVAs and will have to be downloaded separately. Comments and feedback are appreciated. 

Updated: 3/17/2019

The latest update includes surface-attachable wings, added adapters for Mk2, Mk2.5 and Mk3, and new engine mounting plates. Now uses B9 Part Switch.

Download from: SpaceDock

Required: RasterPropMonitor

Parts List:

Spoiler
  • Command:
    • 4x modules in 2.5m cross-section
  • Aero
    • 5x wings and flaps
  • Cargo
    • 5x cargo bays, 2.5m
  • Crew
    • 1x crew section, 2.5m
  • Fuel Tanks
    • 1x 2.5m fuel tank
    • 3x tail sections
    • 3x 2.5m adapter
  • Coupling
    • 1x 2.5m decoupler
    • 1x Clamp-o-tron Sr docking module
    • 1x Clamp-o-tron docking module
  • Bonus Parts! (yes, I realize they aren't flat on the bottom)
    • 1x 1.25m command pod
    • 1x 1.25m fuel tank

Sample Images:

Spoiler

FczuGQx.jpg

MzjHlVK.jpg

S9KzFWx.jpg

fjBrzCd.jpg

Cross-section Specifications:

Spoiler

elyS1a8.jpg

Please note this mod is still a work in progress.

Next Update:

Spoiler
  • Tail Cargo Ramp
  • Drone Command Module
  • More Manned Command Modules
  • Add Shroud to Engine Plates

Edited by Starlord Kerman
Update

Ive enjoyed playing with this mod so far. I hope there are some plans for a few additions?? Perhaps some adapters to mk2/3 or a nosecone/dronecore? More adventurous adapter could be for OPT.

Also..for some reason I spawn with no EC. Cockpits have 800 in the editor but when I get to the runway...zero.

Looks great tho. I love spaceplane parts!

12 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

Perhaps some adapters to mk2/3

I think an adapter or two would be a good idea. I'll probably add one to adapt to a 2.5m round cross-section soon.

12 hours ago, Jesusthebird said:

a nosecone/dronecore

Are you looking at building something like the x-37? That might be cool. I'll also look at adding a shroud to the tail-section/engine mount.

53 minutes ago, Starlord Kerman said:

Are you looking at building something like the x-37? That might be cool. I'll also look at adding a shroud to the tail-section/engine mount.

I dont really have a set "idea" :D. I usually just let my mind wander in editor and make all kinds of stuff. A nosecone and/or adapter came to mind when I tried to put wing mounted engines on your super heavy wing(which is awesome btw!) instead of having a nosecone for the tips I used a pair of your cockpits lol.

18 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

I'd like to suggest to slightly enlarge the parts to be slightly above 2.5m

At this point the size of the parts is pretty much set, and also I rather prefer smaller space-planes. Perhaps Tweakscale the parts you're trying to carry slightly?

I was also considering making a piece to adapt existing 2.5m to my cross-section (separate from the adapter I mention above). Something like:

Spoiler

xt0yt5e.jpg

I'm hesitant to make such a part though due to the zero-thickness geometry at the bottom, but I guess it could be used to transport stuff externally? maybe? Thanks for the feedback though :)

These are great.  I've flown your three craft examples from orbit.  Since I am the second worst pilot in the world, I attach a few parachutes to land.   But they are stable enough that I might actually try landing one of them without.

One thing you might want to consider is a module that contains a docking collar.  Or perhaps you can add it to the CMD modules.

Thanks for creating these.  I love them.

Very nice, although I don't like the zero thickness, makes it a bit unrealistic (I know, it's a game)

Might I suggest that you take a look at the Mk2.5 Space Plane mod for inspiration?  The wings I include on it are just resized BigS Delta, but all the other parts were made for the mod by the original author and some others more recently

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Very nice, although I don't like the zero thickness, makes it a bit unrealistic (I know, it's a game)

It could be done as a side part that fades to the middle, and that you have to mirror.  Though the zero- thickness part would be cleaner and easier to use.

13 hours ago, Starlord Kerman said:

I rather prefer smaller space-planes

I don't mean huge size changes, only a few centimeters larger. Right now, the central sphere is exactly 2.5m. 

I meant to say to only make it bigger by 1 % or so. To have 2.5m diameter parts fit very snug with only a tiny bit of into the bay with the top doors

NEW PARTS!

I've updated the mod to include a shroud on the "TriTail" engine mount, a decoupler to fit the cross-section, and an adapter to allow the parts to stack with a 2.5m circular cross-section.

This, of course, allows for stacking the shuttles vertically :D

Spoiler

0mlY7fd.jpg

11 hours ago, thomash said:

a module that contains a docking collar

I was thinking of adding a docking-port section, something clamp-o-tron compatible. I'd have to learn how to make one first though :/

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Might I suggest that you take a look at the Mk2.5 Space Plane mod for inspiration

I actually downloaded that one (many thanks to you for keeping it updated) to use as a reference when I was doing the .cfg for some of my parts. It's a nice looking mod. Idk if it was you or RaginCaucasian who did it, but I am wondering how the fuel capacity for the non-cylindrical cross-section was balanced? 

1 hour ago, Starlord Kerman said:

I actually downloaded that one (many thanks to you for keeping it updated) to use as a reference when I was doing the .cfg for some of my parts. It's a nice looking mod. Idk if it was you or RaginCaucasian who did it, but I am wondering how the fuel capacity for the non-cylindrical cross-section was balanced? 

Are you referring to this: Ze1LPJJ.png

I don't have the exact answer,but basically, cut it in half, top half is 1/2 a circle, and the bottom is approximately a rectangle.  Crunch the number to get a total area, subtract a bit because the corners are curved, and then multiple by the length.

13 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Crunch the number to get a total area, subtract a bit because the corners are curved, and then multiple by the length

So it is purely by volume? In than case I'll just measure the volume in Solidworks :) And dry mass is about 1/8 of fuel mass right? I think I have my parts pretty balanced as it is but they could use some fine-tuning. 

From reading through the Shuttle Challenge v5 thread and others, it seems like your Mk2.5 Space Plane  parts are very well balanced with the stock parts, so thanks for the help. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.