Flat-Bottom Shuttle Systems

Starlord Kerman

Nice update!*

*Where can I send the invoice for the replacement of the Kerbalnauts that I just accidentally liquified after combining the new engine mount (Variant 2) with the Tundra Exploration "Raptor" engines? Hitting 20g+ acceleration in LKO was bad for their health. I need the Blunderbirds to rescue their gooey remains from a solar orbit somehow...?

On 3/17/2019 at 1:31 AM, Starlord Kerman said:

New expanded cargo bays.

• The standard cargo bays can now part-switch into Beluga Cargo Bays, which are much larger, and can easily accommodate 2.5m parts

Not to be greedy, but do you think you can make a variant of this which fits the Mk2.5 form, for inclusion in the Mk2.5 Spaceplane mod?

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I see that CKAN is checked in Spacedock, but it's not there.  Would you like me to get it added to CKAN? 

Oh, on the CKAN page it says:

"If you check this checkbox, then a request to index your mod will be generated automatically and submitted to the CKAN team for review. They might need to make changes, but your work is complete!"

Is there something else I must do?

39 minutes ago, Starlord Kerman said:

"If you check this checkbox, then a request to index your mod will be generated automatically and submitted to the CKAN team for review. They might need to make changes, but your work is complete!"

It doesnt always work.  I'll take care of it this evening

43 minutes ago, Starlord Kerman said:

It's broken currently. (The GitHub user that used to submit the pull requests was deleted somehow, https://github.com/KSP-SpaceDock/SpaceDock/issues/188.)

I guess we should update that wiki...

46 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

This mod has now been added to CKAN

cool, thanks

7 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not to be greedy, but do you think you can make a variant of this which fits the Mk2.5 form, for inclusion in the Mk2.5 Spaceplane mod? 

I could make the model and animate it in blender. However, I'd suggest you find someone else for the textures/UV map, I don't think I could get the textures to match very well.

2 hours ago, Starlord Kerman said:

cool, thanks

I could make the model and animate it in blender. However, I'd suggest you find someone else for the textures/UV map, I don't think I could get the textures to match very well.

That would be fine, I have someone who is willing to take a shot at it for me

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 7:46 PM, Starlord Kerman said:

cool, thanks

Just wondering if you are going to be doing this

9 minutes ago, Starlord Kerman said:

I've put the parts in blender, the next step would be doing the textures and UV map. Here's the link so you can look into that.

https://github.com/StarlordKerman/Expanded-Cargo-Bay

Nice.  Someone else also offered to do the parts, will be interesting to see the two different approaches.

Thanks

10 hours ago, Fr8monkey said:

I’m a moron in general; but can someone put up some pre built ships for use. Everyone I build, even copying the ones on the front page, have the worst aerodynamics. They fly like a brick. Thanks. 

Sure, I have some example crafts, but I think they use tweak scale, is that ok?

Oh my holly Kraken, why you don't use .dds insted of .png? That mod is co large (130 mb) for it's part count, the ShadowWorks mod with SLS, Ares 1 and5, Atlas, two Orions, shuttle and ISS parts is only 80 mb (but have crappy models tho)! Seriously, why not .dds? The mod could weight ~30-40 mb instead of 130, it's so cool and so owersized :(

Edited by NiL

In addition to there being too many files in PNG format, too many of the textures are needlessly high resolution. Except for the wings, it is possible to get away with reducing all the textures to1024x1024 without noticeably losing quality (otherwise 2048x2048 for parts that are both rather big and rather detailed). Too many textures are 4096x4096 right now. Shrinking them down can shrink the download to 1/2, maybe 1/4 its current size.

The problem with (any texture format other than DDS) is that these files remain in RAM (or the video memory) after being converted to DDS anyway, which means needless overhead and wasted memory on textures while KSP is running. PNG is also bad in that (assuming a share-alike mod, source files are unavailable, or another case where textures can be and need to be recolored or remastered by a 3rd party) the alpha channel as-is, is not friendly to these efforts, but the alpha channel in a DDS file is friendly.

Edited by JadeOfMaar

BTW When I build this in the SPH then move to the VAB to attach it to a rocket, the wings flip.  The left side goes upside down.  I also cant seem to correct this in the VAB

EDIT - this actually seems to happen ONLY when I change teh orientation of the craft (i.e. point its nose upwards)

Edited by funkcanna

On 3/31/2019 at 6:06 AM, funkcanna said:

BTW When I build this in the SPH then move to the VAB to attach it to a rocket, the wings flip.  The left side goes upside down.  I also cant seem to correct this in the VAB

EDIT - this actually seems to happen ONLY when I change teh orientation of the craft (i.e. point its nose upwards)

The root of this problem is that the wings (still) attempt to use stack nodes in mirror symmetry. After a sizeable deal of struggling I have fully disproven the possibility of this. Use only surface-attach for mirror symmetry.

On 3/31/2019 at 4:06 AM, funkcanna said:

This happens even with surface attached wings. The problem is the wings in my shuttle pack have a designated top and bottom, which kerbal doesn't like. The stock wings actually flip upside down too, but you can't tell since they are symmetrical.

9 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

The root of this problem is that the wings (still) attempt to use stack nodes in mirror symmetry. After a sizeable deal of struggling I have fully disproven the possibility of this. Use only surface-attach for mirror symmetry.

The use of nodes doesn't matter, I've tested it as purely surface attach and they still rotate when switching editors. I think the stock wings are symmetrical top to bottom for this reason.

On 3/30/2019 at 5:24 AM, NiL said:

Oh my holly Kraken, why you don't use .dds insted of .png? That mod is co large (130 mb) for it's part count, the ShadowWorks mod with SLS, Ares 1 and5, Atlas, two Orions, shuttle and ISS parts is only 80 mb (but have crappy models tho)! Seriously, why not .dds? The mod could weight ~30-40 mb instead of 130, it's so cool and so owersized

If I were to change it, would .tga be the smallest? I like the png because it's so easy to edit, someone could easily add a different color option or something. I guess if enough people feel the sizes are too big I could change that in the next update.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.