Flat-Bottom Shuttle Systems

Starlord Kerman

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2019 at 3:42 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

That two-step idea is just what I intend to use to employ a massive soft-deprecation process, actually.

At the point of editing craft files and maybe even persistence, it would be handy to have a batch file that you can drop documents onto to change all the important strings in one shot, or further than that, a mod that accepts semicolon-delimited pairs of strings per line <part.oldname;part.newname> or <part.newname;part.oldname> can be triggered at the KSC scene and which uses KSP itself to do the operations.

At some point soon™ I'd like to do such a big and save-breaking update for OPT. I know one guy who has epic OCD and would be happy to have a tool like this nearby when such update happens. :D

@JadeOfMaar

I've been thinking about this, and think I have a workable solution.  Let me know when  you are going to start doing the part rename.  I'm busy with 1.7.2 updates right now, but will probably do something like this in the future for my mods.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys I got aware of this mod a few days ago and I really like to use it parts, but, I'm a realism geek, in terms of physics atleast, so I've been working on making this mod not only FAR but also Realism Overhaul compatible. I hope to do this for many airplane parts mods eventually because I love (space)planes a lot ;d

Either way, I've a version of this mod now, the latest for 1.7.3. I renamed all the parts to follow this convention: TriCS_Aero*_Partname

*or Command|Structural|Utility 

This allows easy patching for other mods! Which I have started with already, everything except the wings is FAR compatible now, I'm halfway with the realfuels part etc.

I was really hoping someone else could pitch in and maybe derive the wing/control surface values, I'll gladly work it into the patches, i found something on the FAR wiki on it but I just found the explanation confusing lol. If someone else has a better explanation I'm all ears for that!

Similarily, in order to make it Realism overhaul compatible, I was hoping someone could explain one and another about how to configure RCS thrusters, I've had working thrusters but no visible plumes with past attempts on other mods. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! And if anyone is interested in what I have already I'd gladly share it with you too. I do not know the author and I'm not aware if he is working on the mod atm, my intention is not to change anything, merely make it accessible for other mods and playstyles. I did check its license and it should not prohibit me from doing so. When it is finished the author can also choose to update ckan with this version if he wishes to.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

All,

I'm working on adopting this mod.  Right now it's going to be mostly verifying it's good for KSP 1.12, but I've also asked a couple of people who claimed to have some improved versions or patches to send them to me.

I will also be looking at the lift values, looks like they may be too much, would appreciate any input anyone can provide.

Author has also been contacted, mainly for Spacedock access 

Linuxgurugamer

8 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@linuxgurugamer I'll help you out with that. If there any particular features you want that can be config'd, let me know. I can handle the lift ratings easy.

I haven't done anything, but earlier comments by people said that the wings had too much lift.  I was going to look at it in comparison to some of the other small shuttle mods (ie:  2.5 Space Plane Parts, Apus).  If you want to do it, then please do, would save me a bit of work.

20 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Author has also been contacted, mainly for Spacedock access 

@Starlord Kermanhas contacted me, I'm all set to go with the adoption.  Not going to happen this moment, but working on it

Edited by linuxgurugamer

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you want to do it, then please do, would save me a bit of work.

Leave it to me. I'm also looking to setup localization and to re-title the parts so they aren't all over the place in a given category.

19 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Tempting but no thanks. :D I leave ownership to you.

@JadeOfMaar

Question for you regarding the textures in this mod.  I tried running all the PNG files through a DDS converter, but in almost all cases, the resulting DDS file was several times larger than the original PNG file

I used the DDS4KSPcs.exe program.  Options I used were:

• Format: Auto
  • Normalmaps: Automatic
  • Generate Mipmaps:  Tried it both enabled and disabled
  • Resize options: x1

One thing I noticed was that a most of the textures were rather big, either 4096x4096 or 2048x2048

I tried to shrink the big ones down a bit, to 2048x2048.  But that didn't help much.

I also tried doing a few manual conversions with Gimp, but had pretty much the same results

What would you suggest?

41 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I haven't had to use DDS converter tools (guilty of being set in old ways and doing things manually) but perhaps try this: duckar/img2dds on GitHub or ask @cineboxandrew. I'm sure they have something great.

I tried that, got pretty much the same result.

I've contact @cineboxandrew as suggested,thanks

On 1/20/2023 at 12:45 PM, JadeOfMaar said:

Leave it to me. I'm also looking to setup localization and to re-title the parts so they aren't all over the place in a given category.

Are you planning on renamng the parts, or just the descriptions/titles?

I'm working on a TweakScale config, will need to know if you are going to change the part names

@linuxgurugamer I've finished my work and opened a PR. I gotta say that while I did get to reduce the lift ratings for some parts, I had to increase the ratings for roughly as many parts. The parts for this mod may just be too good, especially those large wings, and folks will have to accept it.

While I'm not a FAR user and wouldn't playtest, I went out of my way to make complete FAR configs.

Finally, I noticed no parts that need the cargo shielding module had it so I added it. Someone else is going to have to playtest. All they have to do is juggle some numbers or not use a test craft like I did (made of only hollow/cargo parts). Maybe it's fundamentally broken to do this combination of parts. By simple observation, if the drag vector values aren't all zero, it'll produce drag when moving so only 1 of 4 fuel tanks inside this is properly shielded. (Test craft included in PR.)

MhQm8FC.png

Edited by JadeOfMaar

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I've finished my work and opened a PR. I gotta say that while I did get to reduce the lift ratings for some parts, I had to increase the ratings for roughly as many parts. The parts for this mod may just be too good, especially those large wings, and folks will have to accept it.

While I'm not a FAR user and wouldn't playtest, I went out of my way to make complete FAR configs.

Finally, I noticed no parts that need the cargo shielding module had it so I added it. Someone else is going to have to playtest. All they have to do is juggle some numbers or not use a test craft like I did (made of only hollow/cargo parts). Maybe it's fundamentally broken to do this combination of parts. By simple observation, if the drag vector values aren't all zero, it'll produce drag when moving so only 1 of 4 fuel tanks inside this is properly shielded. (Test craft included in PR.)

Thanks.  That's a lot of work

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.