Iranian Space Agency discussion thread

DDE

There have been several disconnected threads on the topic; given Iran’s persistence, I think it’s time to give it it’s own proper thread.

https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2019/01/15/585830/Iran-satellite

Some sort of an environmental remote sensing sat failed to reach orbital velocity yesterday.

All the usual rules apply, even if my choice of primary source is inherently marred by bias.

So. Iran really wants to join ICBM club, huh? Let's be honest - no one pours billions of local monetary units into rocket R&D, being blissfully unaware rocket with orbital capability can be as well used to deliver explosive payload to almost anywhere.

1 hour ago, Scotius said:

So. Iran really wants to join ICBM club, huh? Let's be honest - no one pours billions of local monetary units into rocket R&D, being blissfully unaware rocket with orbital capability can be as well used to deliver explosive payload to almost anywhere.

*waves hand* Nothing to see here, move along.

• 1 year later...

I think it's time we brought this thread back.

US sanctions blamed for not letting Iran download the versions of KSP with built-in dV counter, leading to premature propellant exhaustion.

P. S. New American rocket:

Spoiler

2000x2000-0-70-8135a0e8d6829107ebdcc43e6

Edited by DDE
Typed "IS" instead of "US"; am now being chased by angry CIA agents

• 2 months later...
On 2/10/2020 at 6:18 AM, DDE said:

I think it's time we brought this thread back.

US sanctions blamed for not letting Iran download the versions of KSP with built-in dV counter, leading to premature propellant exhaustion.

P. S. New American rocket:

Hide contents

2000x2000-0-70-8135a0e8d6829107ebdcc43e6

I busted a gut when I read that! The #%@&#%@ idiots!:sticktongue:  [Snip]

Edited by James Kerman
Redacted by a moderator

Quick! From the top of your head name five Chinese rockets capable of reaching orbit! :D

Guy probably just Googled "Space rockets exploding" and typed down first search results without checking the details.

Not everyone is a space nerd with more than barebones knowledge of rocketry.

Long March 2, Long March 2C, Long March 3, Long March 4A, Long March 5. Admittedly, their naming convention doesn't exactly make that one difficult. :) 

It's clearly the results of a Google failure, especially since Atlas hasn't had a failure since 1993 (Atlas I), and Juno II hasn't even flown since 1961. That said, his general point is right, failures happen, especially early in the program, and even now rockets do blow up from time to time (except Atlas, which is exceptionally reliable).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.