linuxgurugamer

[1.8.x] KerbCam Continued(camera pathing tool for videos)

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away....

Oops, wrong topic, let's start again

Back in 2013, forum user @huin make this nice little tool for making videos.  He hasn't been around since May, 2016, and I got a request to see what I could do with it.   The original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/22781-0235-kerbcam-v013-camera-pathing-tool-for-videos/

Forum user @cartman did some recompiles for 1.2 & 1.3, those are currently in CKAN.

Note that Camera Tools will likely cover many of the features of KerbCam and more, and will probably see more love and time than I can spend on KerbCam.  However, quoting @Drew Kerman:

CameraTools is great, but it can't save and reload a camera position/orientation (relative to another object, no less) and if I launch a rocket while the camera is focused on it there is a "jump" in the CameraTools position whereas KerbCam stays put. 

Dependencies

This is a tool for those video makers who want just a bit more camera movement and orientation control.

Excellent tutorial video provided by Rureglathon:

KerbCam on Curse

Note that Camera Tools will likely cover many of the features of KerbCam and more, and will probably see more love and time than I can spend on KerbCam.

KerbCam guidebook on Google Docs

This is a tool for those video makers who want just a bit more camera movement and orientation control.

Excellent tutorial video provided by Rureglathon:

Availability

Installation:

Unzip the ZIP file inside the GameData directory. This should create a "KerbCam" directory there (with a "Plugins" subdirectory), or use CKAN to install

Features:

• Keyed pathing and playback. Create and edit keys, each of which controls the orientation and position of the camera relative to the spacecraft at a given time on the path. Path playback attempts to smoothly interpolate from one point to the next.
  • 6-degrees-of-freedom camera controller. No longer be limited to camera positions that are simple rotations around the craft.
  • Path recording (and playback) and camera movement while paused. This is actually an accidental feature, but one that is very handy for preparatory recording of a path or taking a screenshot while a lot of action is going on. (suggest creating and selecting the new path before pausing to workaround a glitch for now). This should also allow for cool "bullet-time" like effects (albeit with the game paused rather than slowed down).
  • Keyframed linearly interpolated time slowdown/pausing. (bullet time effect)

Make more videos, with greater freedom than you ever had before.

Donations gratefully accepted

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Edited by linuxgurugamer

the camera tools link shows up an error please link a version for 1.6<3

thank you!:D

I am trying to install Kerbcam on KSP 1.6.1, but it isn't working. When I open the zip file titled "KerbCam-1.6.1-0.19.2," and place it inside the game data folder (as with any mod) on startup KSP tells me the mod is meant for 1.4, and proceed to not work. Is this a common issue? I really want a mod to give me more cinematic shots but I can only find this and camera tools, which has not been updated.

Thanks!

Looks like the .version file is wrong.  Try deleting the .version file in the directory.

What makes you think it isn't working?

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Looks like the .version file is wrong.  Try deleting the .version file in the directory.

What makes you think it isn't working?

Deleting the .version file removed the message (telling me that the mod is not compatible with 1.6.1) on startup, however, there is no indication that the mod is working. When I press F8 no window comes up to control the camera. 

Thanks

New release, 0.2.1.9

• Version bump to fix bad release
  • Updated CKAN to use Spacedock 

@lalomartinezmm please let me know if this fixes your issue

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.2.1.9

• Version bump to fix bad release
  • Updated CKAN to use Spacedock 

@lalomartinezmm please let me know if this fixes your issue

Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. I am on a Mac, I don't know if that matters, I have the F1, F2, etc keys all set to standard functions so I do not think that is the issue. The game just boots up normally with no sign of the mod installed (apart from the "check for updates" prompt at startup). I should be able to get the KerbCam screen with F8 correct?

Thanks

As far as I know, yes.  But you have to be in the Flight scene, it won't work or do anything in any other scene

13 hours ago, lalomartinezmm said:

Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. I am on a Mac, I don't know if that matters, I have the F1, F2, etc keys all set to standard functions so I do not think that is the issue. The game just boots up normally with no sign of the mod installed (apart from the "check for updates" prompt at startup). I should be able to get the KerbCam screen with F8 correct?

Thanks

I just realized that I hadn't updated the OP with the dependencies.  If they aren't there, it won't work.  I'm assuming you installed it manually, since CKAN would have installed them for you:

Dependencies

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I just realized that I hadn't updated the OP with the dependencies.  If they aren't there, it won't work.  I'm assuming you installed it manually, since CKAN would have installed them for you:

Dependencies

Yes! That was the problem, works now. Thanks, my bad not mentioning that I installed it manually

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, lalomartinezmm said:

Yes! That was the problem, works now. Thanks, my bad not mentioning that I installed it manually

Thanks again!

No problem, glad we got it figured out.

Just an FYI, next time please provide a link to the entire log file.  The error would have been obvious to me from looking at it.

How do I install this mod and the dependencies it needs?  There are no clear instructions on how to do so successfully.

New release, 0.20.0

• Updated for KSP 1.8
  • Updated WindowEvents with current spellings