[1.12.x] KerbCam Continued(camera pathing tool for videos)

linuxgurugamer

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far, away....

Oops, wrong topic, let's start again

Back in 2013, forum user @huin make this nice little tool for making videos.  He hasn't been around since May, 2016, and I got a request to see what I could do with it.   The original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/22781-0235-kerbcam-v013-camera-pathing-tool-for-videos/

Forum user @cartman did some recompiles for 1.2 & 1.3, those are currently in CKAN.

Note that Camera Tools will likely cover many of the features of KerbCam and more, and will probably see more love and time than I can spend on KerbCam.  However, quoting @Drew Kerman:

CameraTools is great, but it can't save and reload a camera position/orientation (relative to another object, no less) and if I launch a rocket while the camera is focused on it there is a "jump" in the CameraTools position whereas KerbCam stays put. 

Dependencies

This is a tool for those video makers who want just a bit more camera movement and orientation control.

Excellent tutorial video provided by Rureglathon:

KerbCam on Curse

Note that Camera Tools will likely cover many of the features of KerbCam and more, and will probably see more love and time than I can spend on KerbCam.

KerbCam guidebook on Google Docs

This is a tool for those video makers who want just a bit more camera movement and orientation control.

Excellent tutorial video provided by Rureglathon:

Availability

Installation:

Unzip the ZIP file inside the GameData directory. This should create a "KerbCam" directory there (with a "Plugins" subdirectory), or use CKAN to install

Features:

• Keyed pathing and playback. Create and edit keys, each of which controls the orientation and position of the camera relative to the spacecraft at a given time on the path. Path playback attempts to smoothly interpolate from one point to the next.
  • 6-degrees-of-freedom camera controller. No longer be limited to camera positions that are simple rotations around the craft.
  • Path recording (and playback) and camera movement while paused. This is actually an accidental feature, but one that is very handy for preparatory recording of a path or taking a screenshot while a lot of action is going on. (suggest creating and selecting the new path before pausing to workaround a glitch for now). This should also allow for cool "bullet-time" like effects (albeit with the game paused rather than slowed down).
  • Keyframed linearly interpolated time slowdown/pausing. (bullet time effect)

Make more videos, with greater freedom than you ever had before.

Donations gratefully accepted

Patreon.png

https://www.patreon.com/linuxgurugamer

Edited by linuxgurugamer

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am trying to install Kerbcam on KSP 1.6.1, but it isn't working. When I open the zip file titled "KerbCam-1.6.1-0.19.2," and place it inside the game data folder (as with any mod) on startup KSP tells me the mod is meant for 1.4, and proceed to not work. Is this a common issue? I really want a mod to give me more cinematic shots but I can only find this and camera tools, which has not been updated.

Thanks!

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Looks like the .version file is wrong.  Try deleting the .version file in the directory.

What makes you think it isn't working?

Deleting the .version file removed the message (telling me that the mod is not compatible with 1.6.1) on startup, however, there is no indication that the mod is working. When I press F8 no window comes up to control the camera. 

Thanks

12 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 0.2.1.9

• Version bump to fix bad release
  • Updated CKAN to use Spacedock 

@lalomartinezmm please let me know if this fixes your issue

Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. I am on a Mac, I don't know if that matters, I have the F1, F2, etc keys all set to standard functions so I do not think that is the issue. The game just boots up normally with no sign of the mod installed (apart from the "check for updates" prompt at startup). I should be able to get the KerbCam screen with F8 correct?

Thanks

13 hours ago, lalomartinezmm said:

Unfortunately, it did not fix the issue. I am on a Mac, I don't know if that matters, I have the F1, F2, etc keys all set to standard functions so I do not think that is the issue. The game just boots up normally with no sign of the mod installed (apart from the "check for updates" prompt at startup). I should be able to get the KerbCam screen with F8 correct?

Thanks

I just realized that I hadn't updated the OP with the dependencies.  If they aren't there, it won't work.  I'm assuming you installed it manually, since CKAN would have installed them for you:

Dependencies

2 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I just realized that I hadn't updated the OP with the dependencies.  If they aren't there, it won't work.  I'm assuming you installed it manually, since CKAN would have installed them for you:

Dependencies

Yes! That was the problem, works now. Thanks, my bad not mentioning that I installed it manually

Thanks again!

1 hour ago, lalomartinezmm said:

Yes! That was the problem, works now. Thanks, my bad not mentioning that I installed it manually

Thanks again!

No problem, glad we got it figured out.

Just an FYI, next time please provide a link to the entire log file.  The error would have been obvious to me from looking at it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hiya. Am having some difficulty with Kerbcam.

Sorry I don't have great steps to reproduce. The steps are to put a rocket on the pad and just use the basics of Kerbcam, like create a path, add nodes, save path, play path. All that works fine. However - if I then Revert to VAB, KSP is utterly hosed, and hardly worth describing ... but basically I get a semi-populated flight screen that's all black and has things in weird places and the game is whack, so all bets are off at this point. It's tough to exit the game but I managed to get a log that has lots of mentions about Kerbcam errors in it ... hopefully there's something useful there.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HBNdJFeqePHrXYnO9MiYNOZRfYM0LgxK

I fully realize that my steps to reproduce are utter crap, so if you need me to I can attempt to narrow things down.

Thanks again for all your work on these mods!

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

However - if I then Revert to VAB, KSP is utterly hosed, and hardly worth describing ...

are you certain that when you reverted to VAB KerbCam was not still in control of the camera? I've had similar issues if I forget to toggle off camera control before exiting the flight scene

• 2 months later...

hey @linuxgurugamer I've just updated from KSP v1.5.1 to 1.8.1 and was hoping this was just an old issue but unfortunately its still around: logs

Using KerbCam the first time you enter into a flight scene everything is always fine. As soon as you exit to the TS or KSC then return to the flight scene by any means the next time you try to activate the camera controls it completely breaks the game camera

If you're not really into dealing with this mod anymore, I can try to see if the CameraTools maintainer can fix the "Stationary" camera to *actually* be stationary and not move around so much. KerbCam is still the only way to make the camera stay perfectly positioned at all times relative to other moving objects, including the active vessel

On 2/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, Drew Kerman said:

Using KerbCam the first time you enter into a flight scene everything is always fine. As soon as you exit to the TS or KSC then return to the flight scene by any means the next time you try to activate the camera controls it completely breaks the game camera

I wasn't aware of this.

On 2/24/2020 at 8:51 PM, Drew Kerman said:

I can try to see if the CameraTools maintainer can fix the "Stationary" camera to *actually* be stationary and not move around so much. KerbCam is still the only way to make the camera stay perfectly positioned at all times relative to other moving objects, including the active vessel

See if he can do it.  I took this on at a request, and mostly all I can do with it is fix compile stuff and keep it updated.  I can look at this later, but not sure what's going on yet

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.