The most hilariously wrong thing someone has ever said to you

Fraston

Some time around 1.4.2, when I was browsing the steam community for KSP and came across a discussion about RedShell (you know, the name that brings out the worst in modern KSP players) I clicked on it, and found so much vivid loathing for squad and KSP, and, apon scrolling down, I commented something like: “Cool your tongue, guys, one can only vomit out so much slander, lies and profanity before god decides to strike them down for being insolent. Stop babbling like babies, it makes your brain sound older than it really is.” And this persons response back was something along the lines of “This community is incredibly toxic, you shouldn’t play this game at all.” When I checked my steam notifications, I saw the comment and laughed. I just replied on the discussion: “the only one that’s making this community toxic is you. Now go back to playing Fortnite, as it’s obviously the only game that is suited for your IQ level.”

What is the most egregiously wrong thing you have ever heard or seen from somebody?

Edited by Fraston

Oh boy. *ahem*

"All pictures from Mars are CGI"

This sort of thing can often be satirical on the internet, but this man was serious - he initiated that conversation after overhearing me talking with someone else. These people do really exist.

I'm gonna give him a special mention when I get there.

Edited by cubinator

7 hours ago, Fraston said:

Some time around 1.4.2, when I was browsing the steam community for KSP and came across a discussion about RedShell (you know, the name that brings out the worst in modern KSP players) I clicked on it, and found so much vivid loathing for squad and KSP, and, apon scrolling down, I commented something like: “Cool your tongue, guys, one can only vomit out so much slander, lies and profanity before god decides to strike them down for being insolent. Stop babbling like babies, it makes your brain sound older than it really is.” And my response back was something along the lines of “This community is incredibly toxic, you shouldn’t play this game at all.” When I checked my steam notifications, I saw the comment and laughed. I just replied on the discussion: “the only one that’s making this community toxic is you. Now go back to playing Fortnite, as it’s obviously the only game that is suited for your IQ level.”

What is the most egregiously wrong thing you have ever heard or seen from somebody?

[snip]

...but worst forum experience?

My favorite example is the CMANO (Command: Moderan Air/Naval Operations) forum. Its a very hi spec, very high fidelity, ultra-realistic military sim. I dont have to go into too much detail about the game/sim,  but suffice to say its a mature title at the head of its game, generally for people who know what they are looking for and at least roughly what they are talking about (otherwise it just wouldnt get on your game radar)

But you wouldnt think so from the attitude in the forums.

If you imply anything is wrong with the game (like openly wondering if something is a bug or if you just not sure how something works, implying that there might be a bug) you will have the developers themselves come along and complain about how its a feature, not a bug. Or how about YOU fix it. Or RTFM.

Or if you try and give a reasonable bug report, if you dont also include a sentence or two about how how great the devs are, you will get a bunch of stick about how ungrateful you are being.

Perhaps you are having difficulty using certain tactics and want some tips? Someone will come along and say you should probably play a different game, this one is not for you.

And the kicker is the devs encourage this behaviour. They have said up front that they appreciate people backseat-moderating so that the devs dont have to deal with it. They support people being turned away from the game for asking questions.

Yes, I know, you do often get people asking the same stuff over and over again, when the answer is easy to find. Or people being rude and entitled about bugs or the devs or how often it is updated. But that is a constant for every game, and you dont get the same level of contempt, say for example, in this here set of forums. 

I've literally had the devs themselves write comments on threads just to call me, or others, names. You can check my comment history on here to see how likely it was that this was warranted.

Oh yes, there are some good folks on there who will help you out, some very knowledgable ones, but still, thankfully it is entirely possible to play the game fully, without ever having to interact with the devs or any of the most vitriolic "fans" on the forum.

The screwed up part? It really is one of the best military sims available to the general public.

26 minutes ago, LordFerret said:

"You're all equal, in every way and every sense.  Now, go out an be an individual."

:blink:

=============================================================

Most wrong thing I've ever heard? I spent six years in the United States Navy. How much time do you have? :D

I think the funniest argument I ever got into was with my old youth pastor when he was absolutely, 100%, convinced that muscle was not meat. We could not convince him that the meat you eat from animals, like beef, pork, etc, was muscle. He was somehow imagining that there were these mysterious meat organs in these animals that served no purpose other than to be harvested out of them and be served as food. Hilarity ensued. :D 

"Ptolemy's model will have a revival, you'll soon see !"

- a lady, in a pub, towards us, while a friend was talking with me about one of the probes to the gas giants, i think it was Cassini.

I immediately placed a bulk order to get over it.

R/Prequelmemes: “r/StarWars just circlejerks in whatever is the thing that mean Disney Is Evil, without looking into what the facts actually are”.

Look who’s talking. 

(And yes, that is an actually quote from Prequelmemes just a few days ago after everybody went berserk over Warner Chapell copyright striking that Vader fan film because they thought it had copyrighted music. Jeez, people need to calm down.)

5 hours ago, cubinator said:

Oh boy. *ahem*

"All pictures from Mars are CGI"

A Moon landing hoaxer grandmother and an increasingly radical Stalinist grandfather make this a tough pick for me.

"If a customer gets poisoned, execute every employee!"

"...OK."

The problem with making fun of awful things people have said to you is that you have to repeat the awful thing that was said to you to complain about, and we'd rather not have awful things posted to our forum, even for the purpose of mocking them. We've removed one or two of those from this thread and will now ask folks to leave that kind of discussion for other places on the internet.