New GC in Unity 2019

Unity finally released a slightly improved GC in their 2019 Beta!

It still isn't a modern Generational GC (groan) and is still full stop the world (double groan), but they finally added a change to support for incremental mode at least, so stutter should be substantially less.

Could we get this fast tracked for the next KSP release?

8 hours ago, Ruedii said:

It still isn't a modern Generational GC (groan) and is still full stop the world (double groan)

Still no modern GC? Sigh.
Small progress is progress I guess. I wonder what functionality will be sacrificed at the altar of unity upgrade this time...

• 4 months later...

OK, it's been 4 months since the release of Unity's 19.1 beta, and there's no news that I have found about plans for a future Unity upgrade in KSP. If any Squad developers are reading this, could we have an indication of whether there are any plans to adopt this new version of Unity, or whether it has been evaluated at all to see if it could help ease the problems in long-running KSP games?

Obviously it won't be a magic wand by itself. Having the ability to use incremental GC is a good step, but then developers - including (especially?) mod developers - will have to try out the new technique, and adopt it where appropriate. There's always a cost (temporal/effortial, if not financial) in upgrading the base engine you're working with and then making sure your own code works correctly with it, so it would be good at least to get some feedback from anyone who's tried out Unity's new GC system as to whether it seems a big enough improvement to be worth the investment.

(This post brought to you by yet another frustrating half hour of just trying to add two new components to a large and complex ship, in a VAB that's responding to mouse movements or arrow keys with a 4 or 5 second delay! =:o\ )

On 1/17/2019 at 6:46 PM, klgraham1013 said:

Why not stop relying on Unity to solve KSP's problems?

Netscape, dBase, Lotus... the software graveyard is paved with projects where it was decided to rewrite the core from scratch. Of course there are also cases where it did work out, but it’s a large gamble. Unless a new version of Unity means rewriting 3/4 of the project from scratch, I doubt Squad will switch engines.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.