Some thoughts about KSP development (split from an unrelated thread).

@SQUAD, if you think that this visual pack is a mod that "everyone must have", how about stop messing around with part revamps, that are inferior to work done by people who don't even make parts for a living (Cough Restock cough), how about at least add an extremely minimalistic version of this to stock, that can even work on potato computers like Sci-Fi visual enhancement does.

28 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

@SQUAD, if you think that this visual pack is a mod that "everyone must have", how about stop messing around with part revamps, that are inferior to work done by people who don't even make parts for a living (Cough Restock cough), how about at least add an extremely minimalistic version of this to stock, that can even work on potato computers like Sci-Fi visual enhancement does.

lol

1 hour ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Wait so don't do what one modder's doing and instead do what another modder's doing?

Edited by 5thHorseman
instead instead.

2 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

my potato with an i5-6200U and gtx940mx struggles for 4fps launching with scatterer and stock EVE configs. Unless they figure out a way to optimise scatterer a load and change the profession of EVE from CPU butcher to janitor, there's no chance they'll run well on a potato.

4 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

The game has needed a major graphics overhaul for a couple of years ... maybe that is something they are working toward with these part revamps.  It is painfully obvious that the development team for KSP is so small now that they aren't staffed do any major work on the game.

2 hours ago, Caelib said:

The game has needed a major graphics overhaul for a couple of years ... maybe that is something they are working toward with these part revamps.  It is painfully obvious that the development team for KSP is so small now that they aren't staffed do any major work on the game.

yeah that was kinda what i was thinking as well. I mean once you get through the hype and PR fluff and just look with your own eyes it has been this way for awhile. Now i could say KSP is dead or dying and here come the fan boys to save the day. Then squad will come in and say nothing to see here. Development is fine, the game is fine, the world is fine, everything is hunky-dory and do a contest or something. But look past all that and what do you have? Ok we got part revamps and some bug fixes. Im talking meaningful major updates. changes to Game mechanics,new features,etc. You know, the hard stuff. All we are getting is devs doing modding stuff with some coding here and there to make it work but yeah...pretty much dead. Is there a roadmap anywhere? Oh thats right NDA..I forgot :/

Edited by Redneck

1 hour ago, Redneck said:

yeah that was kinda what i was thinking as well. I mean once you get through the hype and PR fluff and just look with your own eyes it has been this way for awhile. Now i could say KSP is dead or dying and here come the fan boys to save the day. Then squad will come in and say nothing to see here. Development is fine, the game is fine, the world is fine, everything is hunky-dory and do a contest or something. But look past all that and what do you have? Ok we got part revamps and some bug fixes. Im talking meaningful major updates. changes to Game mechanics,new features,etc. You know, the hard stuff. All we are getting is devs doing modding stuff with some coding here and there to make it work but yeah...pretty much dead. Is there a roadmap anywhere? Oh thats right NDA..I forgot :/

I seem to recall there being a bit of the “hard stuff” rolled into 1.6. Delta-v readout?  

I don’t feel like KSP is dying at all.  In fact I’ve seen more progress in 1.5 and 1.6 than I have in a long time.  I think we’re overdue for some DLC options, like maybe an RSS and RO option for those who want realism.  But I think they’re definitely working toward a revamp of the core game, and honestly, I feel like maybe they’re testing features for a KSP 2. 

I’ve had periods in the past where I feared KSP was on its last legs, like with the developer exodus a few years back, but now I don’t get that sense. Maybe it’s just me. 

Just the fact that we have this kind of community interaction with the devs is more than a lot of other games can say. If the company is paying a PR person to write these posts and paying artists to make engines and models, paying for all this stuff, it ain't dead, no matter what you say. 

13 hours ago, Redneck said:

. Im talking meaningful major updates. changes to Game mechanics,new features,etc

Well, for 1.6, there is  

DeltaV/isp/twr readouts

Removable helmets

Ability to make parts shiny

Idle animations

Return-to-launch side waypoints

Performance improvements

And ofcourse the main focus, part revamps

1.5 had

Stock better burn time

Stock take command

and more art revamps.

1.4 had

Kerbal parachutes

In editor Switch between vab and sph

And even more art revamps.

Each version also has a metric ton of under the hood aditions or bug fixes but I ain't gonna list them all.

If ksp was dead, then we wouldn't be getting any of this (or any updates at all)

Edited by GrandProtectorDark

58 minutes ago, Redneck said:

and here they come as predicted

But answer me my previous question.
If ksp was dead, why are we still getting content updates?

And secondly, why do you personally think it is dead?

(and btw, fanboys, really? Did you not consider that people maybe like the new updates for real)

Edited by GrandProtectorDark

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.