Trying to fit command seats inside service bay (Eve lander), but Command seat + Kerbal + bay = Kraken

I have a command seat inside a small bay (weight savings), but no matter how many times I tweak it, when a kerbal enters/exits, he collides with the vessel and violently topples my lander.

Does anyone have screenshots/subassemblies of the correct seat position?

Who knew that this would be the hardest part of designing my first Eve lander? Getting to Eve orbit was a charm compared to trying to fix this cursed chair...

13 hours ago, It'snorocketscience said:

I have a command seat inside a small bay (weight savings), but no matter how many times I tweak it, when a kerbal enters/exits, he collides with the vessel and violently topples my lander.

Does anyone have screenshots/subassemblies of the correct seat position?

Who knew that this would be the hardest part of designing my first Eve lander? Getting to Eve orbit was a charm compared to trying to fix this cursed chair...

Do this test, it might surprise you.

In the VAB take a small bay. and add a command seat. Add any batteries that your EVE ascent vehicle would need. Check the mass.

Look at the 1 man lander can. take out the Mono-propellant. It already has batteries. Check the Mass.

Still think it's worth it?

28 minutes ago, Daveroski said:

Do this test, it might surprise you.

In the VAB take a small bay. and add a command seat. Add any batteries that your EVE ascent vehicle would need. Check the mass.

Look at the 1 man lander can. take out the Mono-propellant. It already has batteries. Check the Mass.

Still think it's worth it?

Yes. My lander doesn't use EC or reaction wheels. Engine gimbals, 4 fins, and Jeb's SAS comfortably get the lander to orbit. I could build a bigger lander, but i'm strapped for cash in my career save. Other players/youtube videos seem to have no trouble with fitting seats inside service bays...

My command setup: 0.24 tons (payload bay, command chair + kerbal inside) vs 0.6 (lander can with no monoprop), not to mention the lander can's heat tolerance is poor. The nosecones (2000K tolerance) were already getting quite hot during ascent and descent tests...

Edited by It'snorocketscience
edited for clarity

I used the lander can and the first round nose cone. It's heat tolerance is higher. Not starting my gravity turn until 30k was key.

I ended up with fuel to spare and wished I had kept the mono and RCS. Could have done the whole thing differently. Perhaps i will have another go at some point.

D.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.