[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

Kopernicus 1.3.0-5 is incompatible with Kerbol Origins installed, though it was working just fine with Kopernicus 1.3.0-4.  Here's my KSP.log with only those two mods installed, both with 1.3.0-4 and 1.3.0-5.  With the latest Kopernicus its an unending stream of null reference exceptions that never manages to load the Space Center.  With the previous version, there's a single null reference exception thrown related to an asteroid, but no other exceptions and the game loads up just fine.

(I'm tagging @amarius1 who authored Kerbol Origins as sometimes these sorts of conflicts are addressed in changes to the planet pack)

1 hour ago, Delvan said:

Kopernicus 1.3.0-5 is incompatible with Kerbol Origins installed, though it was working just fine with Kopernicus 1.3.0-4.  Here's my KSP.log with only those two mods installed, both with 1.3.0-4 and 1.3.0-5.  With the latest Kopernicus its an unending stream of null reference exceptions that never manages to load the Space Center.  With the previous version, there's a single null reference exception thrown related to an asteroid, but no other exceptions and the game loads up just fine.

(I'm tagging @amarius1 who authored Kerbol Origins as sometimes these sorts of conflicts are addressed in changes to the planet pack)

Please report planet pack issues on the planet pack's thread, not here

12 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

As I understand it's impossible to start kopernicus in 1.3.1, right?

correct and as 1.3.1 just a prerelease at this point, there's very little chance that you'll see a Kopernicus release for it until it becomes official

Edited by TheRagingIrishman

12 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

As I understand it's impossible to start kopernicus in 1.3.1, right?

Yes. Kopernicus is version locked. The 1.3.1 prerelease is out to find bugs and issues with the stock game. Not play with planet packs. 

Ninja'd by an Irishman

Edited by Galileo

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Yes. Kopernicus is version locked. The 1.3.1 prerelease is out to find bugs and issues with the stock game. Not play with planet packs. 

Ninja'd by an Irishman

Well, it's quite strange politics - locking mod for upcoming versions. Every KSP version contains plenty of bugs and it's our personal problem if we will find more with outdated mod.

53 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Well, it's quite strange politics - locking mod for upcoming versions. Every KSP version contains plenty of bugs and it's our personal problem if we will find more with outdated mod.

Too many people cant handle the responsibility, and show up here complaining that things are broken. To avoid that, the kopernicus devs version lock the mod. If people could learn to be adults, less like entitled kids and respect the devs wishes to not have continuous bugs reported on unsupported versions of ksp, we wouldnt have the version lock. It's not politics, it's more about respect for the dev.

Edited by Galileo

26 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Too many people cant handle the responsibility, and show up here complaining that things are broken. To avoid that, the kopernicus devs version lock the mod. If people could learn to be adults, and respect the devs wishes to not have continuous bugs reported on unsupported versions of ksp, we wouldnt have the version lock. It's not politics, it's more about respect for the dev.

Well, if people will use 1.3.1 with kopernicus they will show up here that this mod is totally broken, it doesn't work at all. I don't think it's better. I dont know any other mod with automatic disabling for any new small patch, like 1.3.1.

5 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Well, if people will use 1.3.1 with kopernicus they will show up here that this mod is totally broken, it doesn't work at all. I don't think it's better. I dont know any other mod with automatic disabling for any new small patch, like 1.3.1.

step 1

a new version of KSP comes out

step 2

people with no patience pretend suff for free and, when they don't get it, hell ensues

step 3

once things get out of hand, a moderator (usually @Snark) swoops in to save the day and deletes all messages

step 4

repeat from step 1

29 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

That's where people like myself, sigma and many others will come in and shake our fingers and scare shoo people away. I'm not sure what you are arguing, or if you are arguing at all. Regardless, an unlocked version will not happen. But, as ThomasP always says, " feel free to compile it yourself without the version lock". If you can't figure out how to do that, tough luck, you must wait.

If only the forum software would allow for a sticky note at the top of each thread page.

Edited by Galileo

25 minutes ago, Alexoff said:

Also, people who try to load a kopernicus version on an unsupported KSP version will see a popup telling them that the mod is not compatible and that they should wait for an update.

That said, I usually release a new Kopernicus within one day after a KSP release. I just don't support pre-releases.

1 hour ago, Alexoff said:

You're correct, it's highly unusual.  In fact, Kopernicus is the only mod I know that does that.  However, it's also the case that Kopernicus has a highly unusual situation, which IMO justifies the version lock.

I'm not saying it's a great solution, just that it's the "least bad" one.    I understand that this probably seems broken to you... but I've seen what Thomas and the other Kopernicus maintainers have to go through, and this way seems like the lesser of two evils.

Here's how it works:  Let's say that a new KSP version comes out.  Let's look at what happens, with and without a version lock:

• With a version lock:  There's a simple, universal, easily understood error message, "this version of Kopernicus won't work on this version of KSP".  Users can just wait until a new Kopernicus version has been prepared and comes out.  True, some users will be impatient and will show up here complaining, but they can be quickly and efficiently dealt with ("yes, that's right, you can't"), so that Thomas & friends can spend their time where it really helps people, which is producing the updated Kopernicus as promptly as possible.
  • Without a version lock:  Various random horrible unpredictable things happen to people.  Different things happen to different people, depending on what planet packs they're running.  They all come here to complain.  Thomas & friends can't address the complaints unless they stop what they're doing (i.e. making a new Kopernicus version) to try to diagnose the particular person's trouble.  So that puts them in the position of either hurting everybody by trying to diagnose bugs that people are reporting, or else telling the people "wait for the new Kopernicus version", which would have been more efficiently and quickly communicated by the version-locked method anyway.

There's basically no upside to having Kopernicus not be version locked.  As a user, you may think there would be, but bitter experience has shown that everybody ends up losing in that case.  So that's how they've done it.

For my part I am really grateful for so many great and committed modders in this community. Do awesome things in countless hours of unpaid work and sharing their work for free. Thank you all, guys and gals! The impatient among us, i'd not only remind them of that but offer them to imagine a Microsoft or Apple issue. Do you get hooked up directly to the developer? Does he take a portion of his free time, just to look at you personal discomfort? Would he fix your problem himself within a day or two, or even in a couple of hours? Would you get the basic softwar, including updates and support from Microsoft or Apple for free? I'm not sure, but I know this happens every day in hundreds of threads in this community, so I've decided for myself to give a big thumbs up for all the developers in here and express my gratitude as open and as often as possible. Maybe, you give it a try once in a time, it even does something good to yourself. =)   

It was just a thought I wanted to share when reading further up, so I apologize for bothering.

SchrottBot

I just (finally) upgraded to 1.3 yesterday... no hurry to attempt 1.3.1...

Just wanted to say how very, very grateful I am to @Thomas P. (and anyone else involved) for keeping this going.... and please, take your time with 1.3.1... I'm not a mod-maker, but from a writers POV, I totally understand the need for patience!  :wink:

Thank you!

Edited by Just Jim

A question for the educated... is there a way to specify Kopernicus to use a specific ground texture area on a specific area of the PQS? Much like we can do with Scatter in landControl where we can set Long/Lat and Altitude boundaries for the scatter to appear, is it possible to do the same with Ground Material diffuse and normal textures?

I understand and support the decision about locking Kopernicus version, although I can't help wondering if version 1.3.1 still has a bug causing flickering orbit lines in map view (when additional planet packs are installed). I remember that was some Unity issue and modders can't do anything about it. I don't have much hope after reading 1.3.1 changelog, but still... 

13 minutes ago, Walker said:

I understand and support the decision about locking Kopernicus version, although I can't help wondering if version 1.3.1 still has a bug causing flickering orbit lines in map view (when additional planet packs are installed). I remember that was some Unity issue and modders can't do anything about it. I don't have much hope after reading 1.3.1 changelog, but still... 

The bug is still there

You can easily check it out since it is a KSP bug that does not require kopernicus

5 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

The bug is still there

You can easily check it out since it is a KSP bug that does not require kopernicus

Oh, thanks for clarification. I was really sure that this bug appeared only with Kopernicus. 

Just now, Walker said:

Oh, thanks for clarification. I was really sure that this bug appeared only with Kopernicus. 

it gets worse with kopernicus if you add planets outside the orbit of Jool

you can find my official bug report here

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.