[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

28 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

@Sigma88 if the Kopernicus problem is anything similar to the Kerbal Konstructs problem... updating to 1.4.5 fixed an internal bug, KK magically started working again; could this also fix Kopernicus (granted, would need to take out the version lock code, but)...?

Don't even go there... :)

17 minutes ago, Beetlecat said:

Don't even go there... :)

this is a new development as of today.  KK has been fixed by updating to 1.4.5 and nothing else.  I don't know if it's the same problem or not, and 1.4.5 has broken some other things, but it's new information and maybe something that someone, perhaps not you, cares about.

7 hours ago, ss8913 said:

Is there a way I can donate to the Kopernicus folks currently?

In the OP you can find Thomas' paypal link.

I used to have a paypal link as well but since nobody was using it I removed it from the forums some time ago.

Depending if I decide to update my mods to 1.4.5 I might bring the link back on github.

My general attitude towards donations is that they should only be considered as "thank you" for past content. This is important (for me at least) because if I decide to drop a mod I don't want anyone to feel cheated out of their money.

7 hours ago, ss8913 said:

I'm also willing to help with testing and/or coding, if there's something I can read up on what's been investigated so far...

The code is freely available on github, and we have a discord for discussion. However I would advise you to start experimenting with a release of kopernicus that works, maybe trying to look into one of the minor bugs. At this point (a ksp update just dropped) we have a list of stuff to check and we might not have the time to help you on discord. (the code is pretty convoluted, which doesn't help)

6 hours ago, ss8913 said:

if the Kopernicus problem is anything similar to the Kerbal Konstructs problem... updating to 1.4.5 fixed an internal bug, KK magically started working again

I haven't looked into this specifically but if squad reverted something they messed up in 1.4.4 then I would assume that would be one less thing to check for 1.4.5

I don't think this would have been an extremely bad bug for kopernicus, but it could have been relevant for one of my mods, so I'm glad they reverted whatever they goofed up in 1.4.4

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

In the OP you can find Thomas' paypal link.

I used to have a paypal link as well but since nobody was using it I removed it from the forums some time ago.

Depending if I decide to update my mods to 1.4.5 I might bring the link back on github.

My general attitude towards donations is that they should only be considered as "thank you" for past content. This is important (for me at least) because if I decide to drop a mod I don't want anyone to feel cheated out of their money.

The code is freely available on github, and we have a discord for discussion. However I would advise you to start experimenting with a release of kopernicus that works, maybe trying to look into one of the minor bugs. At this point (a ksp update just dropped) we have a list of stuff to check and we might not have the time to help you on discord. (the code is pretty convoluted, which doesn't help)

I haven't looked into this specifically but if squad reverted something they messed up in 1.4.4 then I would assume that would be one less thing to check for 1.4.5

I don't think this would have been an extremely bad bug for kopernicus, but it could have been relevant for one of my mods, so I'm glad they reverted whatever they goofed up in 1.4.4

apparently the maintainer of KK was stumped by 1.4.4; he said it would take significant effort to find and fix KK for that release, but apparently it was actually a *bug* in 1.4.4 which was fixed in 1.4.5; I didn't even have to recompile KK for 1.4.5, the same version that worked in 1.4.3, didn't work in 1.4.4, worked again in 1.4.5 without me having to touch a thing.
That said, there were a couple of things that DID break; my 1.4.x-rebuilt FAR for example, which worked in 1.4.0 through 1.4.4, did not work at all in 1.4.5; however a recompile against 1.4.5 fixed that. (even though FAR does not officially support versions past 1.3.1)

14 hours ago, ss8913 said:

@Sigma88 if the Kopernicus problem is anything similar to the Kerbal Konstructs problem... updating to 1.4.5 fixed an internal bug, KK magically started working again; could this also fix Kopernicus (granted, would need to take out the version lock code, but)...?

There is a Paypal link in the OP, near the bottom.

6 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

About 24 hours ago, Sigma88 already posted some informations on their work and that the summer is always 'a weird period'. Just be patient.

Remember, KSP is always "hurry up and wait". Squad fixes something, breaks something new, modders adapt when they can because they are not paid.

My advice, find another game to occupy yourself in the meantime.

Edited by demibear

14 hours ago, Trekkie148 said:

So 1.4.5 is out. You promised "No rush please" you would do the updates. just a notification. 

One thing I've learned from being around (re: KSP) for 2 years is: It's very safe to expect and trust that mod-makers who are still active will know soon enough, if not right away, when a new KSP release has landed. There's no need at all to drop "just a notification" for them. There is a need, however, for players to copy their game out of Steam and be less eager to receive game updates, less proud about their Steam hours, or disable auto-updates in Steam. Because updates break things, and updates make Kopernicus stop working. ;) And then players want to nudge the mod-makers and think it's smart and perfectly acceptable to do so. Every single update.

Thomas knows 1.4.5 is out, and life is harsh and/or deeply involved to some of us, as hinted by @4x4cheesecake. Much thanks for their comment. Everyone should read it.

This statement is carefully crafted to inform you, Trekkie,
satisfy the voices of others who will want to come and comment,
and prevent another pass by the forum mods.

4 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

One thing I've learned from being around (re: KSP) for 2 years is: It's very safe to expect and trust that mod-makers who are still active will know soon enough, if not right away, when a new KSP release has landed. There's no need at all to drop "just a notification" for them. There is a need, however, for players to copy their game out of Steam and be less eager to receive game updates, less proud about their Steam hours, or disable auto-updates in Steam. Because updates break things, and updates make Kopernicus stop working. ;) And then players want to nudge the mod-makers and think it's smart and perfectly acceptable to do so. Every single update.

Thomas knows 1.4.5 is out, and life is harsh and/or deeply involved to some of us, as hinted by @4x4cheesecake. Much thanks for their comment. Everyone should read it.

This statement is carefully crafted to inform you, Trekkie,
satisfy the voices of others who will want to come and comment,
and prevent another pass by the forum mods.

Ok sorry @Thomas P. Enjoy your Vacation sorry to nudge you and all this "please update" stuff.

JWXPLUy.jpg

I released Kopernicus 1.4.5-1 and Kopernicus-Backport 1.3.1-10, as well as the first version of the new KittopiaTech on Github. (Links are in the OP as always)

- Updated to KSP 1.4.5
- Integrated the Kittopia logic into Kopernicus code
- Completely rewrote Kittopia to display windows based on the Kopernicus loaders
- Added a new normal map generation algorithm, thanks to Sigma88

Additionally, the backport should include the correct MM version now.

Over the past months I have been working on moving the features of the old KittopiaTech into the core code of Kopernicus, and preparing it's loader classes so they could be used to generate a complete planet editing UI. The reason for that is that I have often forgot to update or bugfix KittopiaTech, simply because I mostly concentrated on Kopernicus. The consequences of this are:

• First: A rewritten KittopiaTech that uses the Unity 5 UI system and should work much better and less buggy than the old one. Yay, I guess?
  • Since all the actual functions are moved to Kopernicus, they will change with Kopernicus updates. KittopiaTech is just a generic UI-generation shim that uses the Kopernicus loading classes and their attributions to show you an UI.
  • It is now less likely that KittopiaTech breaks, even if I do major Kopernicus changes, since there are only a few points where it interacts with Kopernicus directly, as opposed to the old version.

Due to KittopiaTech using a different UI framework now, the look and also the behaviour have changed. Instead of a split window with occasional popups for editing colors etc., everything is a popup window now. Those windows can only be closed by clicking the button that opened them. Thats simply a limitation of the PopupDialog and DialogGUI classes I had to use (i.e. KSP's wrapper for the Unity 5 UI. I could have used the UI directly, or kept using the old GUI system, but that would have probably made me abadon the project after two weeks. :/). A workaround is to open the Kittopia Window Manager by pressing Ctrl + T, and closing the windows from there.

I hope that everyone can work with this, because I really had no alternative to this wonky behaviour.

(all this stuff was the reason for the delay btw, I didn't want to delay this even more)

Edited by Thomas P.

I'm having trouble with my normal maps, apparently due to it not loading properly the sunlight is 90 degrees away from where it should be, is anyone willing to take a look. Map was made on GIMP and I used a space engine texture. Sorry if my problem came out of the blue.

Edited by qazqazqaz

Very nice! I love the new Kittopia UI. Must had take a lot of time.

On an unlerated note... Very hyped to see Kopernicus 1.4.13 sometime soon. 

24 minutes ago, qazqazqaz said:

I'm having trouble with my normal maps, apparently due to it not loading properly the sunlight is 90 degrees away from where it should be, is anyone willing to take a look. Map was made on GIMP and I used a space engine texture. Sorry if my problem came out of the blue.

Normal Maps must be either .dds files compressed in the DXT5_NM format (NM for NormalMap) or using a exported normal map from Kittopia (This doesnt require any other program like GIMP or Photoshop)

If a normal map isn't as the game wants, it does the 90 degrees thing.

1 minute ago, Pkmniako said:

Very nice! I love the new Kittopia UI. Must had take a lot of time.

On an unlerated note... Very hyped to see Kopernicus 1.4.13 sometime soon. 

Normal Maps must be either .dds files compressed in the DXT5_NM format (NM for NormalMap) or using a exported normal map from Kittopia (This doesnt require any other program like GIMP or Photoshop)

If a normal map isn't as the game wants, it does the 90 degrees thing.

Thanks.

2 hours ago, qazqazqaz said:

Don't invert on your X-axis. You want the light to be coming from the right hand side of the image on your horizontal map.

35 minutes ago, Korfio said:

Hello has anyone ran this successfully with a planet pack on 1.4.5? Getting a lot of exceptions running with OPM. If it works for you, do you have planet packs that work to recommend?

Got some issues with GPP as well, seems to be just a visual issue in this case. In the tracking station and map view, all planets are looking fine but at the space center and in flight scene, it looks like this (the whole planet seems to be affected but it is just Gael! )

Spoiler

ICTKtXG.png

JO83Wm4.png

aOsqvJ7.png

AyPqYyN.png

Also, while in the tracking station some orbital lines are flickering around (especially Hox, Leto and Grannus):

Spoiler

o8a9six.png

596TXy8.png

This happens on a fresh 1.4.5. install, Kopernicus, GPP and other mods are fresh installed and the savegame is new as well.
Logs (KSP.log and output_log): https://www.dropbox.com/s/0plm6n9n6pivo1a/logs.zip?dl=0

The only noticable thing in the log is this one in line 2288 (appears multiple times):

[LOG 23:08:42.677] Load(Model): GPP/GPP_KSC++/Assets/KK_Statics/kkrocketpad1
[ERR 23:08:42.839] Failed to create Convex Mesh from source mesh "". Source mesh is likely have too many smooth surface regions. Please reduce the surface smoothness of the source mesh. Alternatively turn on Inflate Mesh and increase the Skin Width sufficiently for this mesh.

Pinging @Galileo since I don't know if this issue is GPP or kopernicus related :)

@Korfio, @4x4cheesecake, OPM and GPP haven't been updated for 1.4.5, so naturally you might experience some bugs using the old version with 1.4.5.  Please be patient and wait for an update.  We know the new Kopernicus has been released and we've begun the process testing and debugging.  Updated versions will be released when they're ready.

1 minute ago, OhioBob said:

@Korfio, @4x4cheesecake, OPM and GPP haven't been updated for 1.4.5, so naturally you might experience some bugs using the old version with 1.4.5.  Please be patient and wait for an update.  We know the new Kopernicus has been released and we've begun the process testing and debugging.  Updated versions will be released when they're ready. 

Neither Korfio nor me asked for an update.

I cannot talk for Korfio in this point but my post is intended to help updating / debugging. Like I already said: I don't know if the issue is GPP or Kopernicus related and depending on which mod is the reason for the issue, this can be a) a bug report for kopernicus or b) might be helpful to update GPP.
At least, this is the intention of my post...I'm sorry if it sound different :)

1 minute ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Neither Korfio nor me asked for an update.

I didn't say that you did.  The point of my post was to say we know there's some problems and we're working on them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.