[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

2 hours ago, seanth said:

Ok, so PQS "FlattenArea":

If I understand correctly, it will flatten everything. There will be no mountains or anything projecting. So it won't really mimic a "frozen laythe" right?

Imagine replacing the oceans of Laythe with ice. That's approximately what I'm after.

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

I would use the PQS that poodmund posted above because of how much water covers the body. It will flatten anything below the defined altitude in your cfg

I would use "FlattenOcean" which flattens all the terrain under altitude X to be at altitude X

which means you can have all Laythe's terrain at 0 meters but you can retain all the terrain above zero unchanged

@seanth, why don't you try something like this,

Mods
			{	
				VertexHeightOffset
				{
					offset = -2000
					order = 100
					enabled = True
				}
				FlattenOcean
				{
					oceanRadius = 0
					order = 110
					enabled = True
				} 
			}

I just tested it out and it worked great.  VertexHeightOffset shifts the terrain up or down, and FlattenOcean fills in everything below the specified altitude.  So in this example I moved the terrain down 2000 meters, which effectively moved the datum up 2000 meters.  I then filled in everything below the datum.  I ended up with big flat plains just like on Minmus, with the elevation of the plains equal to zero.

Of course the body I tested it on is heightmap generated.  I can't guarantee it will work exactly the same on a PQS generated body, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Edited by OhioBob

6 hours ago, KerbalPhysics said:

Ok can someone reply to me why kopernicus keeps showing an error to me that said "something... due to loading exception? Please reply soon I want this to be fixed for me! :(

Answering that would be close to a miracle given how little information you've shared. Try following the steps for getting help:

I have a question. I am just trying to do a very basic change: remove the texture on Kerbin Shores.

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@PQS
		{
			@Material
			{
				@lowTex = 
			}
		}
	}
}

As I understand it, lowTex should be the one that it uses, but doing this has no effect at all, neither does setting it to blank.dds (a solid 127,127,127,255 texture I made).

Any help?

This also doesn't work:

{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@ScaledVersion
		{
			Material
			{
				texture = MyTerrain/Textures/Kerbin_ScaledVersion.dds
				normals = MyTerrain/Textures/Kerbin_ScaledVersion_n.dds
				mainTex = MyTerrain/Textures/Kerbin_ScaledVersion.dds
				bumpMap = MyTerrain/Textures/Kerbin_ScaledVersion_n.dds
			}
		}
	}
}

Edited by Electrocutor

2 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

My apologies if this has been asked before, but how do you change Kerbin's sea level so that it floods the KSC?

I suggest you try changing the VertexHeightMap offset.  I believe its current setting is -1500.  Using a larger negative offset will lower the terrain and raise the water level.  For example, you might try something like this:

{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@PQS
		{
			@Mods
			{
				@VertexHeightMap
				{
					@offset = -1566
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

The grass around KSC has an elevation of about 65 m, the crawlerway is about 67 m, and the Launchpad is about 72 m.  So changing the offset from -1500 to -1566 should flood the grass, but leave the crawlerway, runway, etc. above water.  Obviously you can make it whatever you want it to be.

Edited by OhioBob

17 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I suggest you try changing the VertexHeightMap offset.  I believe its current setting is -1500.  Using a larger negative offset will lower the terrain and raise the water level.  For example, you might try something like this:

The grass around KSC has an elevation of about 65 m, the crawlerway is about 67 m, and the Launchpad is about 72 m.  So changing the offset from -1500 to -1566 should flood the grass, but leave the crawlerway, runway, etc. above water.  Obviously you can make it whatever you want it to be.

Thanks! Um, I'm pretty new to this. Is that all I have to do to get it to work? Just plop your code into a text document and plop that in the GameData folder? I need click-by-click instructions 'cause I'm duuuuumb

38 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

Thanks! Um, I'm pretty new to this. Is that all I have to do to get it to work? Just plop your code into a text document and plop that in the GameData folder? I need click-by-click instructions 'cause I'm duuuuumb

Yep, that's all there is to it.  Just make sure you give the text file a .cfg extension.  And you need to install Kopernicus.

50 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

@OhioBob I did that but it doesn't appear to work. I just (manually) copied your text into a textedit document, changed the extension to .cfg, and put it in the GameData folder. I have the latest version of Kopernicus installed

Maybe my suggestion doesn't work with Kerbin.  I don't know exactly how Kerbin is generated, it uses a lot of PQS mods that I'm not familiar with.  It's also possible that there could be a syntax error (like maybe one of those @ symbols isn't needed).

Give this a try instead.  VertexHeightOffset should shift the terrain up or down by the number of meters specified.

{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@PQS
		{
			@Mods
			{
				VertexHeightOffset
				{
					offset = -66
					order = 100000
					enabled = True
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

Edited by OhioBob

3 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

That might not work with Kerbin.  I don't know exactly how Kerbin is generated, it uses a lot of PQS mods that I'm not familiar with.  It's also possible that there could be a syntax error (like maybe one of those @ symbols isn't needed).

Give this a try instead.  VertexHeightOffset should shift the terrain up or down by the number of meters specified.

{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@PQS
		{
			@Mods
			{
				VertexHeightOffset
				{
					offset = -66
					order = 100000
					enabled = True
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

That didn't do anything either. I'm gonna try to find a planet pack and compare it to your code. It might be that this just isn't working for me in particular. Back when I tried to put the KSC on Minmus with the assistance of @GregroxMun, it just didn't work even though he said the code looked fine

Well that did nothing. My head just imploded when I tried to understand the code in the pack I downloaded. Could someone test the code for me? It might just be me

I'm out of ideas then.  For most planets I've worked on, both of those suggestions would have worked.  Maybe Kerbin is immune to some of the usual tricks.  If I get a chance I might play around with it a little bit to see if maybe there's a syntax error that's preventing it from working.  In the meantime, maybe somebody else has a suggestion or can spot an error in my code.

3 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I'm out of ideas then.  For most planets I've worked on, both of those suggestions would have worked.  Maybe Kerbin is immune to some of the usual tricks.  If I get a chance I might play around with it a little bit to see if maybe there's a syntax error that's preventing it from working.  In the meantime, maybe somebody else has a suggestion or can spot an error in my code.

Real quick, could you try to write the code yourself? I'm not sure why but Kopernicus hates me and things that don't work for me work totally fine for everyone else

Just now, Fireheart318 said:

Real quick, could you try to write the code yourself? I'm not sure why but Kopernicus hates me and things that don't work for me work totally fine for everyone else

I just tried the second cfg and it didn't work for me either.  I'm checking into it now to see if I can figure it out.

Well this is interesting.  I made a slight change to the syntax in the second cfg and I got it working, sort of.  It looks like it lowered everything - land, water, everything - except for KSC.  The entire KSC complex is now hovering above the ground.

Let me go back to the first cfg and see if I can get it working.

@Fireheart318, I'm sorry but I'm giving up.  I can't get it to work.

Edited by OhioBob

9 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Well this is interesting.  I made a slight change to the syntax in the second cfg and I got it working, sort of.  It looks like it lowered everything - land, water, everything - except for KSC.  The entire KSC complex is now hovering above the ground.

Okay. Thanks for trying

Wait. Could you post the one that makes the KSC float? I'd like to see what that does too

10 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

Wait. Could you post the one that makes the KSC float? I'd like to see what that does too

I didn't save it, but I think it was this:

{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		%PQS
		{
			%Mods
			{
				%VertexHeightOffset
				{
					offset = -66
					order = 100000
					enabled = True
				}
			}
		}
	}
}

13 hours ago, OhioBob said:

Okay, I messed with that and it's pretty fun. -8000 completely Noah's Arked the place, -66 as you set it gave about a meter of water above the flat part where the KSC was, and -1000 left only higher elevations standing. The islands were pretty much submerged, the mountains were bastions of hope, and Kerbin had a few new continents. I'm gonna see what happens if I set it to something like (positive) 10000 now.

Does anyone know how to move the KSC? I think we're on to something

Edit - I did what I said I would with the height adjustment and all I can say is 'god dammit I'm scared'. The world's entirely gray, the KSC is underground (I think), and it just feels like you're on an alien world. Also, planes are damn near impossible to control!

Edit - DON'T DO IT! The plane I flew, Striker 1, it was on the ground (actually kinda in the ground) when I got there! The KSC is underground! Anything spawned will work, the world looks normal(ish) but when you go high enough, you hit an invisible barrier and are destroyed! Space enthusiasts are doomed! Explorers have nothing to find. If you have Hyperedit, use it to get to the surface, but if you don't, avoid setting it to 10000

Edit - Tried 1000, but the barrier is still there. The rest of Kerbin looks pretty cool though. It's more of an island chain with huge continents but there's still a good amount of water. If you can breach the barrier, do it.

Edited by Fireheart318

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.