[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

1 minute ago, Gordon Dry said:

This is the main question. I don't want to bother, but ask the Unity devs. That's all to say for now.

Considering my FPS were fine in Unity before I installed Kopernicus and tanked after I installed Kopernicus, I thought I'd ask the Kopernicus devs first if they might have a clue.

Just now, Kobymaru said:

Considering my FPS were fine in Unity before I installed Kopernicus and tanked after I installed Kopernicus, I thought I'd ask the Kopernicus devs first if they might have a clue.

I can't see any kopernicus errors on your log so I can't help you

have you tried with kopernicus but without all other mods? so that you can effectively rule out the possibility of other mods being involved?

also, if you click on the nyan cat in my sig you'll find a list of stuff we need to have the best chance of solving the issue

keep in mind that if this issue only occurs when using a gazillion mods it might take a lot of time to find a solution, if it is even possible...

Well, ofc you're right in the first instance, but IMHO with my experience in games that are based on Unity and have mods, the modding API is not optimal.

Also the multi-core usage is not optimal as well.

This is the culprit what makes it take so long to have a smooth game:

1. Unity needs to be fixed, depending on issue reports coming from game devs and communities
  2. Game (KSP) needs to be fixed, based on Unity fixes, issue reports coming from mod devs and the community
  3. Mods need to be fixed, coming from game changes (based on Unity changes), issue reports from other mod devs and the community

And there it is, the discombobulation ...

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

have you tried with kopernicus but without all other mods?

The reason why I need Kopernicus in the first place is that I wanted to install Astronomers Visual Pack, which has other mods as a dependency. 

so that you can effectively rule out the possibility of other mods being involved

I'm pretty sure that other mods are involved, but I think you will find that players (who are not in the process of debugging) will have other mods installed most of the time. So it might be worth to not dismiss all issue reports from people with other mods.

But either way, I have cleaned my GameData directory as much as I could, and I am left with this:

7dnRe5E.png

The ones that remain are required to load the save. However, note I removed every single DLL from all of the directories, so now they are just part mods and patches.

After loading this quicksave, the game runs at 10 FPS. Removing Kopernicus boosts me up to 22 FPS.

1- the cfg you are using (only if you are using custom configs you wrote, not all the cfgs in GameData)

2- a list of the mods you have installed, complete of which version of KSP you are running

3- KSP logs

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit)
  • Mac OS X: Open Console, on the left side of the window there is a menu that says 'files'. Scroll down the list and find the Unity drop down, under Unity there will be Player.log ( Files>~/Library/Logs>Unity>Player.log )
  • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Squad/Kerbal\ Space\ Program/Player.log

4- ModuleManager.ConfigCache  (you can find that file in GameData, otherwise specify you didn't find one)

5- Kopernicus Logs: the whole "Logs" folder you can find in your KSP installation directory

6- a screenshot of the content of your GameData folder

1- Not using any

2- See above

3- output_log.txt

4- Are you sure that you need this? Anyway, here it is: ModuleManager.ConfigCache

5- Logs.zip

6- Provided above

Edited by Kobymaru

@Sigma88, are you sure the following path and file name is still correct?

3- KSP logs

• Windows: KSP_win\KSP_Data\output_log.txt (32bit) or KSP_win64\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt (64bit)

I don't have a problem to report, but I was reading your instructions and I can't find the above in any of my KSP installations.  I have a KSP_x64_Data folder, but it contains no file named output_log.txt.  What I do have is a file named KSP.log is the root directory of my KSP installation(s).  Is that the file you're referring to?  If so, you should change your instructions.

(edit)  fixed error in my description of the problem.

Edited by OhioBob

18 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

@Sigma88, are you sure the following path and file name is still correct?

I don't have a problem to report, but I was reading your instructions and I can't find the above in any of my KSP installations.  I have a KSP_win64 folder, but there is no KSP_x64_Data folder, nor a file named output_log.txt.  What I do have is a file named KSP.log is the root directory of my KSP installation(s).  Is that the file you're referring to?  If so, you should change your instructions.

KSP_win/  and KSP_win64/ are just placeholder names for "ksp install folder"

So basically if you are running 32bit ksp you want the first while if you are running 64bit you want the second

I copied it from NathanKell's post on how to post bug reports

I didn't think it was confusing, but if it is I can change it

Edited by Sigma88

22 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

KSP_win/  and KSP_win64/ are just placeholder names for "ksp install folder"

So basically if you are running 32bit ksp you want the first while if you are running 64bit you want the second

I copied it from NathanKell's post on how to post bug reports

I didn't think it was confusing, but if it is I can change it

Sorry, I messed up in typing my reply.  I do have a KSP_x64_Data folder.  But there is no file named output_log.txt in that folder.  I have four different installations and none of them have a output_log.txt file.  So the question remains, is the file you're looking for the one named KSP.log in the KSP install folder?

The problem isn't the path (though I did get confused and typed it wrong), the problem is the missing file.

Edited by OhioBob

19 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Sorry, I messed up in typing my reply.  I do have a KSP_x64_Data folder.  But there is no file named output_log.txt in that folder.  I have four different installations and none of them have a output_log.txt file.  So the question remains, is the file you're looking for the one named KSP.log in the KSP install folder?

The problem isn't the path (though I did get confused and typed it wrong), the problem is the missing file.

the fact that you are missing the file might be an indication of some issue in your install. as far as I know those files should always be generated by stock KSP

I don't remember what the differences are between KSP.log and output_log.txt but I do recall that I used to have a reason to ask for the latter rather than the former

1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

the fact that you are missing the file might be an indication of some issue in your install. as far as I know those files should always be generated by stock KSP

I don't remember what the differences are between KSP.log and output_log.txt but I do recall that I used to have a reason to ask for the latter rather than the former

Wasn't there an option to turn the logging off?

26 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Well, that's strange.  I bought KSP through their online store.  When a new version comes out I just download the .zip file and extract the contents to my Program Files folder.  Been doing it the same way for years, never had a problem.  I really don't see how something could be wrong with the installation.

Edited by OhioBob

28 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Well, that's strange.  I bought KSP through their online store.  When a new version comes out I just download the .zip file and extract the contents to my Program Files folder.  Been doing it the same way for years, never had a problem.  I really don't see how something could be wrong with the installation.

@NathanKell any ideas on why ohiobob is not getting the output_log.zip file on his install?

EDIT:

I always download the game from steam but I always assumed the versions from steam or squad store were basically the same game

Edited by Sigma88

I've had some experience with making planets in Kopernicus, but I'm getting a little bothered by the stock planets and want to make a mod that keeps Kerbin and its moons while replacing all the other stock bodies with my own planets. Is there a way to do this?

@UranianBlue That only does Duna and Dres. You need a line for each planet and each moon you want to delete. You can do !Body,* {} and delete all at once but only use this in your WIP. If your planet pack is not the first and only one to load in someone's install, it can break the other planet packs.

1 minute ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@UranianBlue That only does Duna and Dres. You need a line for each planet and each moon you want to delete. You can do !Body,* {} and delete all at once but only use this in your WIP. If your planet pack is not the first and only one to load in someone's install, it can break the other planet packs.

Thank you

16 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

I noticed that "NewMod" is where "KOPERNICUS" usually is in planet configs. Is the actual spelling for the name of my mod folder in all caps, or is it okay to leave lowercase letters.

@Sigma88 for some reason, sometimes it creates the log in %appdata% ( search under that for output_log.txt ). @OhioBob hit windows+R and type in %appdata% and hit enter. Then hit ctrl-F and type output_log.txt and hit enter. That should find it. I hope.

(In particular, it's in the Kerbal Space Program folder in Roaming appdata. I *think*. It's been a while since I've seen that happen.)

12 minutes ago, NathanKell said:

@Sigma88 for some reason, sometimes it creates the log in %appdata% ( search under that for output_log.txt ). @OhioBob hit windows+R and type in %appdata% and hit enter. Then hit ctrl-F and type output_log.txt and hit enter. That should find it. I hope.

(In particular, it's in the Kerbal Space Program folder in Roaming appdata. I *think*. It's been a while since I've seen that happen.)

thanks!

@Sigma88, I found it...

KSP_x64/Launcher_Data/output_log.txt

I always start KSP using Launcher.exe rather than KSP_64x.exe, so that probably why it's in that folder.

I'm I launching KSP incorrectly?  I seem to recall that I needed to use Launcher.exe in order to get my mods to install.

Edited by OhioBob

Hi there @Sigma88, Linux x64 user here.  I'm having a game breaking bug on every planet pack I install, and the error shows up under [Kopernicus] in the KSP.log.  Game is hanging on the Loading... screen just before the main menu pops up and after all the parts loading and modulemanager stuff.  I reported it already here in OPM, but then I tried New Horizons and got the same thing.  Basically it's looking for .dds files on my desktop instead of in the game folder.  I know Linux is extra picky about filenames, maybe this is the problem?

KSP.log

Edit: possible workaround discovered! A later attempt running the Launcher directly from within the game directory (instead of the Desktop link to the executable that I normally use) and New Horizons loaded up.  Not sure why - maybe if the KSP runs from the game folder instead of Desktop it picks a different working directory and pathing issues go away? 

Edited by Jetski

On 23/07/2016 at 0:13 PM, Drew Kerman said:

Yes, I'm seeing this as well with just the latest versions of Scatterer & Kopernicus (w/ MFI) installed. Furthermore when the latest version of Distant Object Enhancement is installed as well the sun no longer causes the skybox to dim when it is in view

Did this ever get fixed? I'm still seeing this issue in 1.3 with the latest DOE and Kopernicus.

1). Install both mods

2). Switch to a vessel in orbit

3). Skybox dims if you're looking with the planet in view but doesn't dim when looking only at the sun.

I'm hoping it's just a missing cfg line to fix it!

Edited by SleweD

2 hours ago, SleweD said:

Did this ever get fixed? I'm still seeing this issue in 1.3 with the latest DOE and Kopernicus.

1). Install both mods

2). Switch to a vessel in orbit

3). Skybox dims if you're looking with the planet in view but doesn't dim when looking only at the sun.

I'm hoping it's just a missing cfg line to fix it!

your best chance is probably to ask the dev of DOE to take a look at the issue, he is more familiar with DOE code and so it will be easier for him to understand why DOE is not behaving as expected.

when he figures out what is going wrong it should be easy to spot the part of kopernicus that is causing the issue and fix it

1 hour ago, Sigma88 said:

your best chance is probably to ask the dev of DOE to take a look at the issue, he is more familiar with DOE code and so it will be easier for him to understand why DOE is not behaving as expected.

It seems (according to MoarDV, the dev of DOE) that Kopernicus removes the stock dimming effect on the sun, so I guess that's the issue.

9 minutes ago, SleweD said:

It seems (according to MoarDV, the dev of DOE) that Kopernicus removes the stock dimming effect on the sun, so I guess that's the issue.

@MOARdV do you happen to know where the dimming component is? I assume CelestialBody.something

I can look for it myself but with the limited amount of freetime I have it'll take a while for me to find it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.