[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

15 minutes ago, BigFatStupidHead said:

Really? I'm using

biomeMap = BUILTIN/dres_biome

in my Dres space program, and the biomes all -seem- to work correctly. Is there something subtle going on there I should notice? Heightmaps definitely need to be imported though.

huh, that's odd... last time I checked that wasn't working. maybe it's just my memory that's tricking me...

2 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

I can't delete Minmus for some odd reason. I've written the .cfg file correctly as far as I can tell

@Kopernicus:FOR[MinmusOnlyDeletion]
{
	!Body,* {}
}

The :FOR[MinmusOnlyDeletion] will tell the game that it only needs to delete Minmus. The !Body part will delete the body.

this is not actually true. Muahahahahahahahaha!

Edited by GregroxMun
This is a joke don't do this.

17 minutes ago, GregroxMun said:

@Kopernicus:FOR[MinmusOnlyDeletion]
{
	!Body,* {}
}

The :FOR[MinmusOnlyDeletion] will tell the game that it only needs to delete Minmus. The !Body part will delete the body.

this is not actually true. Muahahahahahahahaha!

So, I guess it's really a joke. I'll just see if I still have that .cfg file that somehow deleted the Mun and use it for Minmus

35 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

So, I guess it's really a joke. I'll just see if I still have that .cfg file that somehow deleted the Mun and use it for Minmus

[Serious now]

To delete a body, just do !Body[Name]{}

Edited by GregroxMun
I'm being serious now.

Help, I have a problem with... well, something, that's preventing me from taking advantage of this mod.

9KKeWKf.png

This is Sarnus from OPL and one of its moons, with Eeloo in the background. I originally thought this was a problem with OPL itself, but I installed several more packs and found that a few of them share this problem. I use Galactic Neighborhood to load multiple planet packs, and the only ones that work completely are the Real Solar System and the Tyfon System with Asclepius and Kronkus. OPL has no textures, neither does Kplus, New Horizons, or Uncharted Lands, although New Horizons has a few planets with textures and its planets have a slightly different texture, sort of bluish with white lines instead of yellow with black lines.

I have no idea what might be causing this, although I'm off to find the thread on Active Texture Manager or whatever it is to see if somehow that mod is doing something. Since I didn't install it I don't know anything about it but I think it was installed as a dependency. I have Tarsier Space Tech which I thought disabled Active Textures for its telescopes, but I'm out of other things to try.

Oh, and I'm on Linux and CKAN isn't working at all, so no solutions involving that will work.

9 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Please show us an image of your GameData folder. :)

mGA4XRL.png

I'm not sure how to display the whole tree with this file manager, but I do know that all the archives were unzipped, and all these folders are from inside the GameData folder inside the archive. I could double check that, but this is like my foruth or fifth clean install trying to get things working so I doubt that's the problem. EDIT: Double checked and yes, they are all correct.

Edited by ruiluth

Ok. Are you on the dev build with enhanced OnDemand loading or on the latest release? If you are on the dev build try the latest release, and/or remove Tarsier Space Tech. It messes with OnDemand weirdly.

29 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Ok. Are you on the dev build with enhanced OnDemand loading or on the latest release? If you are on the dev build try the latest release, and/or remove Tarsier Space Tech. It messes with OnDemand weirdly.

I was on 1.0.5. I tried just now with 1.0.4 also, but same issue. Those are the latest releases, not the dev builds, correct? Also, I installed TST to try to get rid of the problem, but it didn't. I'll try removing it, but I'm pretty sure it won't do anything.

EDIT: Removed TST and now the space center is gone, I get empty space with the message, "Focus: Helios-III", referring to a Kerbin duplicate orbiting the star Helios. I can figure out how to fix that, it's no big deal, but the textureless bodies are still textureless, so no fix there.

Edited by ruiluth

4 hours ago, ruiluth said:

I was on 1.0.5. I tried just now with 1.0.4 also, but same issue. Those are the latest releases, not the dev builds, correct? Also, I installed TST to try to get rid of the problem, but it didn't. I'll try removing it, but I'm pretty sure it won't do anything.

EDIT: Removed TST and now the space center is gone, I get empty space with the message, "Focus: Helios-III", referring to a Kerbin duplicate orbiting the star Helios. I can figure out how to fix that, it's no big deal, but the textureless bodies are still textureless, so no fix there.

I have seen this bug reported in multiple threads lately

Try to install only the minimum requirements for opm

ModuleManager+kopernicus+opm

See if you still get the bug

6 hours ago, ruiluth said:

the only ones that work completely are the Real Solar System and the Tyfon System with Asclepius and Kronkus.

If I had to guess I would suspect that one of the mods that does work correctly includes MM patches that aren't specific enough and are corrupting other bodies.  As Sigma88 said, your best bet is probably to start with a minimal OPM install.  If that doesn't work then supply all the details you can in the OPM thread.  If that does work then add your other planet packs one at a time until the problem happens again.  Basically, try to find the minimal install that goes wrong in this way and then post all the details you can in the relevant thread(s).

5 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

and/or remove Tarsier Space Tech. It messes with OnDemand weirdly.

Any idea what this actually does to OnDemand?

For what it's worth, I discovered that Gregroxmun's RevSS also tries to disable ondemand in its settings, and when put in my main install was making yellow dots around many but not all other bodies. Commenting out that line restored normal behaviour for me.

2 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

I have seen this bug reported in multiple threads lately

Try to install only the minimum requirements for opm

ModuleManager+kopernicus+opm

See if you still get the bug

Just tried this. Confirmed, the bug happens with only Kopernicus, OPM, and Module Manager.

2 hours ago, Padishar said:

If I had to guess I would suspect that one of the mods that does work correctly includes MM patches that aren't specific enough and are corrupting other bodies.  As Sigma88 said, your best bet is probably to start with a minimal OPM install.  If that doesn't work then supply all the details you can in the OPM thread.  If that does work then add your other planet packs one at a time until the problem happens again.  Basically, try to find the minimal install that goes wrong in this way and then post all the details you can in the relevant thread(s).

It also happens with only Kopernicus, New Horizons, and Module Manager. It also happened with only Kopernicus, Uncharted Lands, and Module Manager, but that install gave me some new information. Since it changes Kerbin, the texture was removed from it: but only from orbit. A quick test showed that the texture disappeared and faded to the yellow and black one at an altitude of about 62 km (on this world the atmosphere was 80 km high, if that makes a difference. The bug happened again with only Kopernicus, Kplus, and Module Manager. Asclepius and Kronkus again were fine.

I've gone through this method of isolating the offending mod before, and since the bug is happening regardless of other installs, Kopernicus and Module Manager are the only things common to different installs with the same bug, Module Manager works fine without Kopernicus installed, it couldn't really conceivably cause this anyway (could it?)... I'm going to say the problem is with Kopernicus. I could zip up my whole KSP install if you'd like to take a look at it, but I don't know how much help that might be.

EDIT: I did find one other thing that the other mods had in common that Asclepius and Kronkus did not have, specifically this line in a config with a reference to "texture replacer" in the title:

TextureReplacer
{
    keepLoaded = ^KPlus/
}

or ^OPM or ^UnchartedLands. I'm going to try disabling these and see if that fixes things.

EDIT 2: Real Solar System also does not have this config.

EDIT 3: OPM and New Horizons all have an Active Texture Manager config as well, despite me not having that mod. I'll delete those too.

EDIT 4: This made no difference. Still the same bodies displaying textures and the same with black and yellow stripes.

Edited by ruiluth

5 minutes ago, ruiluth said:

I could zip up my whole KSP install if you'd like to take a look at it, but I don't know how much help that might be.

I don't think that will be much help (and will be a large download) though an archive of everything except the Squad folder in your GameData might be (and should be a lot smaller, especially if you do the OPM only one).  It would certainly allow others to create a test install with exactly the same mod setup.

Have you carefully examined your player.log file to see if there is any indication of a problem?  Either way, uploading a complete player.log file (from one of these cut-down installs) for others to have a look at would probably be the best bet.  I have virtually no experience of running KSP on linux but it's starting to sound like the video driver you are using doesn't correctly handle some types of texture (e.g. a particular flavour of DDS) so you may have luck switching to use a different driver and/or looking for advice in a more linux-oriented thread.

It could also be worth checking the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file as this will show the complete configuration that Kopernicus is loading.  Looking at the sections for several of the bodies that have the problem may show something in common...

45 minutes ago, Padishar said:

I don't think that will be much help (and will be a large download) though an archive of everything except the Squad folder in your GameData might be (and should be a lot smaller, especially if you do the OPM only one).  It would certainly allow others to create a test install with exactly the same mod setup.

Have you carefully examined your player.log file to see if there is any indication of a problem?  Either way, uploading a complete player.log file (from one of these cut-down installs) for others to have a look at would probably be the best bet.  I have virtually no experience of running KSP on linux but it's starting to sound like the video driver you are using doesn't correctly handle some types of texture (e.g. a particular flavour of DDS) so you may have luck switching to use a different driver and/or looking for advice in a more linux-oriented thread.

It could also be worth checking the ModuleManager.ConfigCache file as this will show the complete configuration that Kopernicus is loading.  Looking at the sections for several of the bodies that have the problem may show something in common...

Here is a link to my player.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rVPsf67mHTbV9oUndtWXVvUjQ/view?usp=sharing

I tried a couple tricks with my graphics processor, but it didn't help.

I looked through my ModuleManager.ConfigCache and I did discover one interesting thing, namely that the planets that were working had their texture paths with no extension, the path leading to a .dds file, only without the extension, and the non working ones had the .dds or (in one case) .png at the end of the path. Could this be an error with Module Manager after all?

EDIT: I think I've made an important discovery. I went through the OPL configs and removed all the .dds extensions from everything in the "Material" section: a texture =, and also a normals = for rocky worlds. This changed all the textures to pure white. They look much better now, but they still have no textures. So... does that help? Has anyone any idea of what's really going on with this?

Edited by ruiluth

49 minutes ago, ruiluth said:

Here is a link to my player.log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-rVPsf67mHTbV9oUndtWXVvUjQ/view?usp=sharing

I tried a couple tricks with my graphics processor, but it didn't help.

I looked through my ModuleManager.ConfigCache and I did discover one interesting thing, namely that the planets that were working had their texture paths with no extension, the path leading to a .dds file, only without the extension, and the non working ones had the .dds or (in one case) .png at the end of the path. Could this be an error with Module Manager after all?

EDIT: I think I've made an important discovery. I went through the OPL configs and removed all the .dds extensions from everything in the "Material" section: a texture =, and also a normals = for rocky worlds. This changed all the textures to pure white. They look much better now, but they still have no textures. So... does that help? Has anyone any idea of what's really going on with this?

The file extension tells Kopernicus to load the texture manually, and not rely on KSP's auto loading system. That is required for On Demand loading to work, and because of that, theese textures are in a folder called "PluginData", which stops KSP from auto-loading them.

The yellow stripes effect you have indicates, that the textures aren't uploaded to GPU properly. Maybe an issue with your drivers?

On 6/15/2016 at 9:13 PM, thepowersss said:

OMG I have the same exact problem for modded planets using Kopernicus!!

http://imgur.com/a/qAGDU

Well, this appears to be the same problem as ruiluth is having but you aren't on linux.  Are you running in OpenGL mode?  Any chance you can upload an output_log.txt and list your machine specs (including model and VRAM size of video card and driver version) etc.?

20 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

The file extension tells Kopernicus to load the texture manually, and not rely on KSP's auto loading system. That is required for On Demand loading to work, and because of that, theese textures are in a folder called "PluginData", which stops KSP from auto-loading them.

The yellow stripes effect you have indicates, that the textures aren't uploaded to GPU properly. Maybe an issue with your drivers?

Well, with that in mind I tested this on another computer, and it worked perfectly with the default configs. So it must be the graphics drivers on my laptop that are causing this problem.

Dangnabit...

I can't say I'm happy about this, this is going to be a HUGE pain in the drive-tubes. After I installed Linux Mint the first time I thought it didn't have the drivers to drive the switchable graphics, so I tried installing some. Unfortunately, the Mint team was better than I gave them credit for and it turned out that I had duplicate drivers doing the same thing. Trying to uninstall one of them uninstalled both and I managed to disable both graphics cards. I managed to get it back into a semi-working state (displaying anything at all) and haven't touched it since, but I suppose now I'm just going to have to figure out that massive headache once and for all.

In any case, I am happy to have the root cause figured out, as now I can get to solving it, and I'm glad to know that the problem wasn't with any of these mods, as it's much easier for me to fix my own computer than twist someone's arm into fixing their code for me. So thank you very much for your help, I'll post back here with any findings I have so that future users can avoid or fix the same problem that I'm having. I believe it may have something to do with the Nouveau drivers, and installing the proprietary ones might fix it, so I'll look into that.

Again, huge thanks for the support. I can't wait to get this working in my game, and also in my new Mission Report, the Kerman Starship Program :D

I'm on Debian with the proprietary nVidia driver, version 352.79-1~bpo8+1, which was installed on the 21st February, and never had the yellow dots issue before trying RevSS, or any other major graphical artefacts in games or applications. So in my case at least I don't think the driver can really be blamed.

(Mixed system, mostly stable with some backports and some packages from testing. I know, I know, the Debian folks frown on that but I wanted to run Debian stable but needed support for Skylake hardware.)

Is this recommendation for texture placement in planet packs still valid? https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/wiki/Memory-Considerations

If not, what's the current "best practice" regarding that, and also regarding any configuration of the load-on-demand system in the planet pack?

8 hours ago, cantab said:

I'm on Debian with the proprietary nVidia driver, version 352.79-1~bpo8+1, which was installed on the 21st February, and never had the yellow dots issue before trying RevSS, or any other major graphical artefacts in games or applications. So in my case at least I don't think the driver can really be blamed.

I just ran into problems with version 364, so if you say that 352 is fine then I'll look for a different solution. I'm using Bumblebee, I wonder if that makes a difference. If it ends up not working I can always use my dad's desktop for the heavy-hitting interplanetary stuff, it's not like I HAVE to have it working on my laptop...

After all, it was my decision to punt Windows 10 in the first place :sticktongue:

EDIT: It looks like Tarsier Space Tech is also causing a problem of its own. I'll post in its thread as well.

Edited by ruiluth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.