[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

On 10/29/2016 at 3:42 AM, OhioBob said:

I'm using the cfgs from Galileo's plant pack.  You can download the entire package by going to the thread below.  The planet with the rings is Tellumo and its small moon is Lili.

If you download the package you will find that neither the rings nor moon has any inclination, which was not our original intent.  We were forced to settle for no inclination because when we tried to add inclination we couldn't get the rings and moon to be coplanar (as described earlier).

For yesterday's experiment, I edited Tellumo.cfg to split the single ring into two separate rings with 30o inclination, and I edited Lili.cfg to add 30o of orbital inclination.  These edits are what you see in my previous post.  After making these initial edits and loading KSP, I could immediately see the changes and everything appeared as expected.  After that, however, things started to go haywire.  No matter what changes I now make to Tellumo.cfg or Lili.cfg, nothing changes when I load up KSP.  I even reinstalled the original cfgs, but when I load up KSP I still get Tellumo having two separate rings inclined 30o and Lili is still inclined 30o.  It makes no sense.  It's like its completely ignoring what it in the cfgs and is somehow remembering and using the settings from a previous version.

Sorry to necro this post from October, but I would really like to know the solution to this and I couldn't find one.  Right now, the only way I can get my rings and moons to consistently be coplanar is to set inclination to 0 for both of them, and I really would like not having to do that if at all possible.

Basically, to reiterate the problem, I can set my ring system to an angle and then manipulate the orbits of my moons to match up with its plane, but upon re-loading the game, sometimes it gets screwed up, seemingly randomly.  It's as if the longitude of ascending node for the ring system is not fixed and changes on a whim for reasons I can't figure out, and there's no way (that I know of, anyway) to specify it within the config.  Locking rotation just makes the ring plane sort of wobble around the planet unrealistically.

Edited by narhiril
minor text fixes

@narhiril, I was never able to get the ring problem fixed and gave up on it.  We ended up just setting the ring inclination to zero.  I'm sorry to hear you're having problems as well.  I was planning to try experimenting with it again, but in light of your reported problem, it doesn't sound like there's much point to it.  I would really like to see a solution to this issue.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to specify a ring ascending node in the ring config.

8 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

@narhiril, I was never able to get the ring problem fixed and gave up on it.  We ended up just setting the ring inclination to zero.  I'm sorry to hear you're having problems as well.  I was planning to try experimenting with it again, but in light of your reported problem, it doesn't sound like there's much point to it.  I would really like to see a solution to this issue.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to specify a ring ascending node in the ring config.

Don't forget an atmosphere temperature curve that is separate from the atmosphere maxAltitude value :wink:

Ok, I have little clue how to code other than to change already defined values, and I would like to make a planet. I cannot figure out the format or anything and I can't seem to find anyone who is willing to explain it to me. Could anyone please help me out? (preferably through private messages)

Edited by Noname117

Hey, @Thomas P., I'm not sure if I'm the only one having this problem, but when I install Kopernicus (and it's dependencies), the fps drop sharply in the KSC. I mean, normally I get 60 fps in KSC,  but with Kopernicus, it drops to 38 fps (even without any addon planets installed).

Is this a normal thing? Or could it be some incompatibility issue? I have a lot of mods, if you need, I can provide a list.

@Thomas P. I have to ask a question. Why isn't there a system for exporting textures provided with Kopernicus like in Kittopia? I know they are both your mods but IMHO Kopernicus should have some sort of texture renderer script that reads your config files and generates the textures. This would be a great help in a lot of situations and might make procedural generation really work well. Especially if it was an external application that could generate the Textures desired. (As we all know how stable KSP is when it gets pushed... It would be valuable to develop free from ingame constraints. Perhaps an app that could show the player his/her planet as it would look ingame without actually opening KSP.)

20 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

@Thomas P. I have to ask a question. Why isn't there a system for exporting textures provided with Kopernicus like in Kittopia? I know they are both your mods but IMHO Kopernicus should have some sort of texture renderer script that reads your config files and generates the textures. This would be a great help in a lot of situations and might make procedural generation really work well. Especially if it was an external application that could generate the Textures desired. (As we all know how stable KSP is when it gets pushed... It would be valuable to develop free from ingame constraints. Perhaps an app that could show the player his/her planet as it would look ingame without actually opening KSP.)

Because texture export can never happen on the fly. The PQS is slow, and for a 2k texture, you have to make 2097152 calls to the PQS (which results in a much larger amount of work, because of multiple PQSmods who use multiple algorithms), 2097152 calls to a colormap texture, 2097152 calls to a heightmap texture and 2097152 calls to a normalmap texture. In the end you tell Unity to take every pixel, and send it to the GPU so it can be rendered (so 2097152 * 2 calls, you dont need to render the heightmap)

And now, if you dont want to repeat this every time KSP starts, you need to say unity that it should convert all those pixels into a .png or .jpeg file and write them to your disk. After finishing that, your mainmenu loads.
Oh and, if you try to interact with KSP while it does that, it will crash and you can start new.

What about no...

About an external application:

It does almost exactly what you just described, except that it randomizes some values. You can write your own app if you want. Everything is OpenSource and on Github:

Edited by Thomas P.

On 20/1/2017 at 6:12 PM, aluc24 said:

Hey, @Thomas P., I'm not sure if I'm the only one having this problem, but when I install Kopernicus (and it's dependencies), the fps drop sharply in the KSC. I mean, normally I get 60 fps in KSC,  but with Kopernicus, it drops to 38 fps (even without any addon planets installed).

Is this a normal thing? Or could it be some incompatibility issue? I have a lot of mods, if you need, I can provide a list.

the most sensible thing to do would be for you to pinpoint the minimum amount of mods that causes the issue.

it's pointless to provide a list of hundreds of mods and expect us to find the needle in the haystack

first of all start with stock KSP + kopernicus

if the bug is already there we can exclude is an interaction with other mods.

if there's no bug, start adding other mods untill you find the one responsible

when you have found one or few mods that generate the bug, click on the nyan cat in my signature, it'll tell you which files we need from you

@Thomas P. I see your point :) Though to ask another question. You know how Kopernicus has particle systems? The ability to generate hundreds of moving billboard textures. Well. What if you could take a single texture such as... A picture of a nebula. And assign it to an object. Configurable settings would include size, Viewing distance, And color. This would make it possible to have stellar backgrounds that look like this: 8eIscEr.jpg

Also. Would it be possible to set a maximum viewing distance for sunflares? This is kind of a personal appeal as my mod TBG absolutely fills the skies with sunflares and after a certain distance not only do they not go away but they don't even get any smaller. So the skies are far more lit than they should be. So i was wondering if perhaps you could set a maximum distance for flares and beyond that they would go away. After all. At a certain distance currently the flares all just begin to congeal into one object: r4tJi9Y.png

I would greatly appreciate this. I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be for you to make these changes but i would be very happy if you did, And i'm sure a lot of other people would be greatly welcoming of these features.

Edited by daniel l.

8 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Also. Would it be possible to set a maximum viewing distance for sunflares? This is kind of a personal appeal as my mod TBG absolutely fills the skies with sunflares and after a certain distance not only do they not go away but they don't even get any smaller. So the skies are far more lit than they should be. So i was wondering if perhaps you could set a maximum distance for flares and beyond that they would go away. After all. At a certain distance currently the flares all just begin to congeal into one object:

Then I suggest to configure your flares correctly. Kopernicus has everything you need for it, but you need to use it (Multiple Stars are one of the features that I had to hack on top of KSP, because KSP itself has no support for it. Thats why flares WON'T work out of the box if you create a simple clone of the sun)

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/blob/master/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/Configuration/LightShifterLoader.cs#L140-L145

1 hour ago, Thomas P. said:

Then I suggest to configure your flares correctly. Kopernicus has everything you need for it, but you need to use it (Multiple Stars are one of the features that I had to hack on top of KSP, because KSP itself has no support for it. Thats why flares WON'T work out of the box if you create a simple clone of the sun)

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/blob/master/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/Configuration/LightShifterLoader.cs#L140-L145

Interesting. :) Though can you explain how i do it in laymen's terms? Also what about the billboard texture suggestion i made? It doesn't seem like it would be such a difficult feature to add. And it could bring nearly infinite benefits.

On 01/16/2017 at 7:55 PM, ThiccRocketScientist said:

For my new series... I need to make a pulsar orbiting far out from Kerbol.

Is it possible?

Technically yes. that is if you want a simple neutron star. If you want a pulsar then it will probably be either extremely difficult. Or impossible.

On 1/21/2017 at 9:49 PM, Sigma88 said:

the most sensible thing to do would be for you to pinpoint the minimum amount of mods that causes the issue.

it's pointless to provide a list of hundreds of mods and expect us to find the needle in the haystack

first of all start with stock KSP + kopernicus

if the bug is already there we can exclude is an interaction with other mods.

if there's no bug, start adding other mods untill you find the one responsible

when you have found one or few mods that generate the bug, click on the nyan cat in my signature, it'll tell you which files we need from you

I'm running 56 mods... Isn't there a faster way than adding these mods one by one until some of them shows the conflict?

40 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

I'm running 56 mods... Isn't there a faster way than adding these mods one by one until some of them shows the conflict?

Delete half of them, load KSP, see if the problem persists. If it does, delete another half of the remaining mods, load KSP, see if the problem persists... rinse and repeat until the issue goes away. Then you know the sample of mods that caused the issue and you can investigate further.

Just now, Poodmund said:

Delete half of them, load KSP, see if the problem persists. If it does, delete another half of the remaining mods, load KSP, see if the problem persists... rinse and repeat until the issue goes away. Then you know the sample of mods that caused the issue and you can investigate further.

Yeah... Would be easy if half of them weren't dependent on the other half :D

Ninja'd by @Poodmund

42 minutes ago, aluc24 said:

Add them 10 by 10. Then when the issues start you know what group of 10 the issues were in and can add them 1 by 1 or 2 by 2 until you see the issue again.  That's the easiest way. 

Edited by Galileo

I'm new to Kopernicus and I have a few issues I don't understand. Namely, editing the radius for Gilly, even if the value is negative, turns it into an enormous space hedgehog with mountains several kilometers long. Using "VertexHeightOffset" does nothing, even when its set to something insane like "-9999999999999". The thing is, I was able to modify other asteroid moons like Bop with little issue. This is even present in planet packs other people made, like the Revamped Stock System Mod. Here's a screenshot from the revamped mod:

3XnuNEi.png

Yeah.

And while we're at it, how do I remove eve's oceans? I know how to create a new body from a template without the original's oceans, but is it possible to remove the ones from a stock body?

Thanks.

5 minutes ago, fenderzilla said:

I'm new to Kopernicus and I have a few issues I don't understand. Namely, editing the radius for Gilly, even if the value is negative, turns it into an enormous space hedgehog with mountains several kilometers long. Using "VertexHeightOffset" does nothing, even when its set to something insane like "-9999999999999". The thing is, I was able to modify other asteroid moons like Bop with little issue. This is even present in planet packs other people made, like the Revamped Stock System Mod. Here's a screenshot from the revamped mod:

Reveal hidden contents

3XnuNEi.png

Yeah.

And while we're at it, how do I remove eve's oceans? I know how to create a new body from a template without the original's oceans, but is it possible to remove the ones from a stock body?

Thanks.

I'm curious,

what is the process that brought you to choose a negative number for the radius?

what would that represent?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.