[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

1 hour ago, nervv said:

Hello. Where should I report Kopernicus bug? Kopernicus breaks water physics (at least on Kerbin). All my vessels just sink. The parachute is still open after landing in water and there is no splashed down status. It is like the water is not even there at all.

Hi.

First of all we need to rule out the possibility of other mods interfering.

Make  backup of all the folders in your gamedata folder.

Then remove everything except the "Squad" folder, "Kopernicus" folder, "ModularFlightIntegrator" folder, and modulemanager dll file

Run ksp and start a new game (don't start saved games, create a new one)

Go see if the bug is still there

If it is, close ksp, click on the nyan cat in my sig and upload all the requested file.

Share the link here so that we can take a look

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

Hi.

First of all we need to rule out the possibility of other mods interfering.

Make  backup of all the folders in your gamedata folder.

Then remove everything except the "Squad" folder, "Kopernicus" folder, "ModularFlightIntegrator" folder, and modulemanager dll file

Run ksp and start a new game (don't start saved games, create a new one)

Go see if the bug is still there

If it is, close ksp, click on the nyan cat in my sig and upload all the requested file.

Share the link here so that we can take a look

Yeah, it seems there are other mods interfering. And I have a lot of them... I spend so much time determining which mod does that and now I have to do it all again, becouse I want Kopernicus... Thx for quick response.

5 hours ago, nervv said:

Hello. Where should I report Kopernicus bug? Kopernicus breaks water physics (at least on Kerbin). All my vessels just sink. The parachute is still open after landing in water and there is no splashed down status. It is like the water is not even there at all.

That's the experimental scatterer that causes that issue. Before you decide to use any dev/experimental version, you should really read through the last few pages to get an understanding of what works and doesn't. 

Edited by Galileo

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

That's the experimental scatterer that causes that issue. Before you decide to use any dev/experimental version, you should really read through the last few pages to get an understanding of what works and doesn't. 

You fixed my game, thanks! I didn't know it was experimental, I got it through Andromeda Visuals: Daydream, though I have to admit I did not read the forum. It is really hard to keep track of all these hundreds of mods and sometimes hundreds of pages for each mod. But the game is so much better with them. Thanks to all mod developers. And thanks for the help!

5 minutes ago, Tau137 said:

A question: what is the easiest way to introduce rotation axis tilt on planetary bodies in an existing config (e.g., SVT or OPM)?

Axial tilt cannot be done in KSP. If any planet looks tilted it's because it's likely a gas giant with a deceptive texture and its rings alone are tilted and rotation-locked.

3 minutes ago, JadeOfMaar said:

Axial tilt cannot be done in KSP. If any planet looks tilted it's because it's likely a gas giant with a deceptive texture and its rings alone are tilted and rotation-locked.

I was pretty certain Kopernicus allowed that... or used to allow?

Edited by Tau137

1 hour ago, Tau137 said:

A question: what is the easiest way to introduce rotation axis tilt on planetary bodies in an existing config (e.g., SVT or OPM)?

All bodies in KSP have axes that are normal to a fixed reference plane.  It's possible to incline a body's axis relative to its orbital plane by inclining the orbit (see illustration below).  This is how the mod RSS simulates Earth's axial tilt.  RSS inclines Earth's orbit 23.5 degrees, thus giving it an apparent axial tilt of 23.5 degrees.  However, this technique is very limited.  All bodies still have their axes pointed in the same direction.  So if all the orbits are inclined similarly, all bodies will have similar axial tilts relative to their orbits.  It's impossible to vary the tilts from one body to another.

Figure06.png

I've heard that KSP may eventually add axial tilt, but I have no idea what the status of that is, or how it will be implemented.

Edited by OhioBob

Just now, OhioBob said:

All bodies in KSP have axes that are normal to a fixed reference plane.  It's possible to incline a body's axis relative to its orbital plane by inclining the orbit.  This is how the mod RSS simulates Earth's axial tilt.  RSS inclines Earth's orbit 23.5 degrees, thus giving it an apparent axial tilt of 23.5 degrees.  However, this technique is very limited.  All bodies still have their axes pointed in the same direction.  So if all the orbits are inclined similarly, all bodies will have similar axial tilts.  It's impossible to vary the tilts from one body to another.

I've heard that KSP may eventually add axial tilt, but I have no idea what the status of that is, or how it will be implemented.

Neat, I did not know that (never played in RSS), thanks!

21 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

All bodies in KSP have axes that are normal to a fixed reference plane.  It's possible to incline a body's axis relative to its orbital plane by inclining the orbit (see illustration below).  This is how the mod RSS simulates Earth's axial tilt.  RSS inclines Earth's orbit 23.5 degrees, thus giving it an apparent axial tilt of 23.5 degrees.  However, this technique is very limited.  All bodies still have their axes pointed in the same direction.  So if all the orbits are inclined similarly, all bodies will have similar axial tilts relative to their orbits.  It's impossible to vary the tilts from one body to another.

Figure06.png

How would a Kopernicus config look like that would tilt the stock system, so that Kerbin had seasons? (The look of the system itself would not change then? Apart from tilted relative to everything?)

44 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

How would a Kopernicus config look like that would tilt the stock system, so that Kerbin had seasons? (The look of the system itself would not change then? Apart from tilted relative to everything?)

You would have to do something like this:

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Koperniucs]
{
	@Body[Kerbin]
	{
		@Orbit
		{
			inclination = 0		//enter amount of inclination in degrees, where inclination = axial tilt
		}
	}
}

Of course you'll have to adjust the orbits of the other planets as well, or else Kerbin will be out of plane with all of them.  You will likely also have to adjust the longitudeOfAscendingNode (LAN) of many of the planets.  For instance, suppose you incline Kerbin's orbit 20 degrees.  Let's say you want Duna to have a similar inclination of somewhere around 19-21 degrees.  If you change Duna's inclination without changing its LAN, Duna's orbit will be tilted by the correct amount, but in an entirely wrong direction.  This is because Kerbin LAN equals 0 degrees, and Duna's LAN equals 135.5 degrees.  You will have to change Duna's LAN to something close to 0 degrees so that the orbital planes end up relatively close to one another.

Also note that inclining Kerbin's axis won't do anything to give it seasons.  Kerbin's ambient air temperatures are controlled by the temperature curves in it's atmosphere node.  So it doesn't matter how much tilt you give it, you will read the same air temperatures regardless.

Edited by OhioBob

Note that it is possible to alter a planet's temperature to give it seasons by using the curves temperatureAxialSunBiasCurve and temperatureAxialSunMultCurve.  However, neither of these curves are used by the stock planets.  Simply inclining the orbit by itself won't do anything.  You would have to generate the temperature curves to produce the amount of seasonal variation you want, and add the curves to the Kopernicus config.  If you want to know what these curves do and how to use them, I recommend the following:

21 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

I didn't see an issue reported for the broken terrain scatters in 1.3.0-4 so I created one on Github - sorry if it's poorly written, first time writing one :P

The issue I created was at the top. Your issue was closed as it was a duplicate.

Regarding the KopernicusSolarPanel module, am I correct in understanding that if I just comment out the config file and do not use a planetary system with multiple stars, I won't miss anything or suffer mysterious crashes, or at least shouldn't? The config file seems to suggest something to that effect.

It would be fine otherwise, but it breaks action groups and forces all my solar panels back to RETRACTED state. Having to set them all up again would be rather irritating.

Great mod otherwise!

14 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

well uninstall Kopernicus and see if you still have gaps then

Not so easy; because RSS requires Kopernicus. Only way is for me to uninstall Real Solar System and all the rest associated with it and go back to vanilla game. I may do that anyway; given there are still some key mods that are not compatible with KSP 1.3. Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Observe said:

Not so easy; because RSS requires Kopernicus. Only way is for me to uninstall Real Solar System and all the rest associated with it and go back to vanilla game. I may do that anyway; given there are still some key mods that are not compatible with KSP 1.3. Thanks.

yea ok they fixed the runway seams for Kerbin I would not be surprised to see them come back for a larger planet with more curvature. Should have mentioned you were using RSS in your first post

Just now, Drew Kerman said:

yea ok they fixed the runway seams for Kerbin I would not be surprised to see them come back for a larger planet with more curvature. Should have mentioned you were using RSS in your first post

Thanks. I apologize for not mentioning I am running RSS. I meant to, but I neglected.

What are the units for ring radius? I assumed it would be kilometers, but putting this around the Sun:

outerRadius = 40000
                innerRadius = 30000

... gives me a ring just inside of Eve's orbit, which is 9 billion meters in radius. I see no sane conversion from one set of figures to the other.

7 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

What are the units for ring radius? I assumed it would be kilometers, but putting this around the Sun:

outerRadius = 40000
                innerRadius = 30000

... gives me a ring just inside of Eve's orbit, which is 9 billion meters in radius. I see no sane conversion from one set of figures to the other.

@OhioBob and @JadeOfMaar know the answer to this. I should too but it seems to have escaped me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.