[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

4 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I made a little mistake there, it need to be:

rotationPeriod = -80500

without the "@". The value doesn't exsists in the first place so it cannot be edited and multiplied with "-1".

Wouldn't it be -5 657 995? That's the sidereal rotation in seconds from the wiki:
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Eve

EDIT: Interesting, my number seems to make the planet rotate too slowly....what units is the rotationPeriod reading? Radians or something? Anyway, I tried -80500 and that seems very close to the forward spin in speed, so good enough for me. Thanks again. 

Edited by adsii1970
Moved from the OPM thread to Kopernicus...

4 hours ago, Errol said:

Wouldn't it be -5 657 995? That's the sidereal rotation in seconds from the wiki:
https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Eve

Who said that the value represents seconds? ;)
I honestly don't know what this value exactly does but I trust the kopernicus logs and "80500" is the default value used there if you run just kopernicus.
You can find the log in your KSP install directory: "Kerbal Space Program/Logs/Kopernicus/Squad/Eve.Body.log"

Edited by adsii1970
Moved from the OPM thread to Kopernicus...

21 hours ago, Errol said:

That's the orbital period, not the rotation period.

21 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Who said that the value represents seconds? ;)
I honestly don't know what this value exactly does but I trust the kopernicus logs and "80500" is the default value used there if you run just kopernicus.

The units are seconds.  And, yes, the sidereal rotation period of Eve is 80500 s.

• 4 weeks later...

So, with the release of KSP v1.7.0, what is the consensus, will it take long for this mod to get updated? If so, I might roll back KSP to v1.6.1. If not more than a week or 2, maybe just take a break from KSP? I love most updates for KSP, but the down side is that mods then need updating. Blah!

I guess I just need to remember that "patience is a virtue". LOL

Release time!

What was released:

* Kopernicus 1.7.0-1
* Kopernicus 1.6.1-3
* Kopernicus 1.5.1-5
* Kopernicus 1.4.5-10
* Kopernicus 1.3.1-19
* KittopiaTech 1.7.0-1

Changelog:

* Deprecated the barycenter config option. The same functionality can be archived by using the selectable 
  option in Properties, the invisible option in ScaledVersion and givesOffLight in ScaledVersion/Light. 
  Barycenter caused all sorts of bugs that don't exist with the new, more fine grained, mechanism
* Added the ability to use the Unity "Standard" shader for terrain scatters
* Added an option to enable GPU instancing on scatterer materials. The actual effects are to be determined
* Improved the texture exporter. It has a more useful output, and should correctly calculate the min and max 
  altitude of the planet, to clamp the heightmap correctly.
* Fixed assigning multiple UBIs to a body through the implements option
* Updated to KSP 1.7.0
* Don't archive previous log zips anymore, since that caused some problems on Windows that I cannot debug properly. 
  It didn't seem to be used anyway.

14 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

Release time!

7 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Wow - awesome turn-around. Thanks so much for the release.  We very much appreciate it.

Peace,

Wow, darn quick! Thanks for the new release. This mod is a must have for me.

On 4/11/2019 at 4:56 AM, Thomas P. said:

Release time!

What was released:

Changelog:

* Deprecated the barycenter config option. The same functionality can be archived by using the selectable 
  option in Properties, the invisible option in ScaledVersion and givesOffLight in ScaledVersion/Light. 
  Barycenter caused all sorts of bugs that don't exist with the new, more fine grained, mechanism
* Added the ability to use the Unity "Standard" shader for terrain scatters
* Added an option to enable GPU instancing on scatterer materials. The actual effects are to be determined
* Improved the texture exporter. It has a more useful output, and should correctly calculate the min and max 
  altitude of the planet, to clamp the heightmap correctly.
* Fixed assigning multiple UBIs to a body through the implements option
* Updated to KSP 1.7.0
* Don't archive previous log zips anymore, since that caused some problems on Windows that I cannot debug properly. 
  It didn't seem to be used anyway.

What is the syntax to use the Standard Unity shader for scatters?

Lol... KSP updates so fast these days...

Anyway back when I updated KSP to 1.6.1 it seemed that I could make changes to the stock planetary system all I wanted as long as I didn't change the Sun and Kerbin. If I tried to replace the stock solar system, for instance if I tried GPO, the game would freeze permanently after loading, and I checked the task manager and it indicated that this is caused by a memory leak. But otherwise, I can make any desired change to the normal solar system now. I've been having a jolly good time working on how to get kerbals to Kersex (moon of Kronkus, from the Kronkus planet pack). Sent a probe to the surface and it was beautiful.

Also, the backwards compatibility on planet pack mods is really good.

Edited by Some random person

Two questions:

1- Since the most recent versions of Kopernicus have a backport for 1.3.1, could I just replace the version I have with a newer one without the risk of incurring in any problems? I'm using a RSS + RSS Extended + Sigma Binary modpack.

2- How can I set the visibility of orbit lines? I remember a few mods using this option - most notably star packs.

6 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

1- Since the most recent versions of Kopernicus have a backport for 1.3.1, could I just replace the version I have with a newer one without the risk of incurring in any problems? I'm using a RSS + RSS Extended + Sigma Binary mudpack.

My suggestion, make a backup of your save, then try it and see what happens.

6 hours ago, Tonas1997 said:

2- How can I set the visibility of orbit lines? I remember a few mods using this option - most notably star packs.

Orbit
		{
			mode = 
			icon = 
		}

mode is the orbit line and icon is the planet marker.  For mode the options are OFF, REDRAW_ONLY, REDRAW_AND_FOLLOW, REDRAW_AND_RECALCULATE.  For icon the options are NONE, OBJ, OBJ_PE_AP, ALL.  I think you can also use numbers; for instance, mode =0 and icon = 0 means OFF and NONE.  I'm not certain what all those options do, but REDRAW_AND_RECALCULATE and ALL appear to be the defaults for the stock bodies.  I believe you must have an icon to be able to target a body.

Edited by OhioBob

I just wanna ask: How do I open Kopernicus and KittopiaTech? I don't have an button or something for that. Also, I think this is normal, since I saw youtubers make an planet with Kopernicus and I don't see an button for Kopernicus.

Edit: I can also safely say that Kopernicus is loaded in KSP, because I saw an log from Kopernicus in the Console in the Debug Menu.

Edit 2: Actually, KittopiaTech doesn't work... I will give the log file when I will be able to.

Edited by That John

22 minutes ago, That John said:

I just wanna ask: How do I open Kopernicus and KittopiaTech? I don't have an button or something for that. Also, I think this is normal, since I saw youtubers make an planet with Kopernicus and I don't see an button for Kopernicus.

Edit: I can also safely say that Kopernicus is loaded in KSP, because I saw an log from Kopernicus in the Console in the Debug Menu.

Edit 2: Actually, KittopiaTech doesn't work... I will give the log file when I will be able to.

There is no in-game UI for Kopernicus.  For KittopiaTech it's Ctrl + P.

Regarding KittopiaTech not working... do you have scatterer installed?  KittopiaTech won't open for me when scatterer is installed.

20 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Regarding KittopiaTech not working... do you have scatterer installed?  KittopiaTech won't open for me when scatterer is installed.

I do. Maybe that's the problem. But... it's okay to remove Scatterer, since I also have EVE and I hope that EVE doesn't affect Kittopia while still giving some kind of view beauty.

EDIT: Uninstalled Scatterer, KittopiaTech worked! Thanks!

Edited by That John
mod worked

I'm trying to make the Stock KSC point due East instead of being off by about .09 degrees (call me OCD). I think I can use Kopernicus. What's the exact Longitude value for the KSC? I need that to calculate the reorientFinalAngle value

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
    @Body[Kerbin]
    {
        @SpaceCenter
        {
            // PQSCity
            // latitude = 0.00
            // longitude = NEED THIS
            @reorientFinalAngle = This is longitude -90
        }
    }
}

Assuming I get the correct values will this work or do I need to remove and re-add the entire PQSCity from scratch?

Thanks

Edited by Tyko

@Tyko, based on its vector position (position = 157000,-3000,-570000), KSC's coordinates are -0.290728 latitude, -74.600388 longitude.  That's KSC "center", which is actually a point on the crawler way just a little east of the VAB.

1 minute ago, OhioBob said:

@Tyko, based on its vector position (position = 157000,-3000,-570000), KSC's coordinates are -0.290728 latitude, -74.600388 longitude.  That's KSC "center", which is actually a point on the crawler way just a little east of the VAB.

odd...shouldn't Latitude be 0.00?  maybe that's the problem?

1 minute ago, Tyko said:

odd...shouldn't Latitude be 0.00?  maybe that's the problem?

Yeah, KSC is not exactly on the equator.  According to the Kittopia dumps, reorientFinalAngle = -15.  You can probably just tweak that.

18 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

Yeah, KSC is not exactly on the equator.  According to the Kittopia dumps, reorientFinalAngle = -15.  You can probably just tweak that.

yea, I guess it's not that easy. I tried to just edit the reorientFinalAngle (below). That didn't work though. It didn't change the angle at all, so the config isn't doing anything. I'm wondering if I need to rebuild the entire SpaceCenter config from scratch?

{
    @Body[Kerbin]
    {
        @SpaceCenter
        {
            @reorientFinalAngle = -15.399612        
        }
    }
}

Edited by Tyko

I'm trying to extend TweakScale behaviour to the KopernicusSolarPanel module; while the solar panels scale up, there's no change in efficiency or power output as there is with stock configs. So far, I added this to the appropriate file:

TWEAKSCALEEXPONENTS:NEEDS[Kopernicus]
{
    name = KopernicusSolarPanel
    efficiencyMult = 2
    chargeRate = 2
}

While this mainly concerns TweakScale, I'd like to confirm that the KopernicusSolarPanel module still makes use of these properties (efficiencyMult and chargeRate).

@Tyko, you probably don't need the @ in front of reorientFinalAngle.  And you may not need it in front of SpaceCenter either.  When editing stock bodies, @ is typically only needed at nodes.  And sometimes sub-nodes don't require it.  I'm not entirely clear on when it's needed and when it's not.  I know for sure @Body is needed.  Try the following variations and see if either works:

@SpaceCenter
        {
            reorientFinalAngle = -15.399612        
        }

SpaceCenter

{
        }

1 hour ago, OhioBob said:

@Tyko, you probably don't need the @ in front of reorientFinalAngle.  And you may not need it in front of SpaceCenter either.  When editing stock bodies, @ is typically only needed at nodes.  And sometimes sub-nodes don't require it.  I'm not entirely clear on when it's needed and when it's not.  I know for sure @Body is needed.  Try the following variations and see if either works:

@SpaceCenter
        {
        }

SpaceCenter

{
        }

I got it working, but it took some tweaking. The quick way was to re-center KSC right on the equator which made the calculation easier. This also required a bit of a move of the flat green decal that makes the grassy plain underneath. This config now orients the Space Center to true East 0.0000 as long as someone doesn't mind that I moved the ground a bit too - I think it's less than 100 meters, not a major change.

{
    @Body[Kerbin]
    {
        SpaceCenter
        {
            // PQSCity
            latitude = 0.00
            longitude = -74.600388

// MapDecal
            decalLatitude = -0.15
            decalLongitude = -74.600388            
        }
    }
}

Edited by Tyko

On 4/23/2019 at 11:40 PM, OhioBob said:

How did you translate the position to latitude and longitude?

7 hours ago, Danilka said:

How did you translate the position to latitude and longitude?

If we call the three numbers X, Y and Z, then

Latitude = ASIN( Y / SQRT(X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2) )

Longitude, if X>0 = ATAN( Z / X)

Longitude, if X<0 and Z>0 = ATAN( Z / X) + 180

Longitude, if X<0 and Z<0 = ATAN(Z / X) -180

So for the given example,

Latitude = ASIN( -3000 / SQRT(157000^2 + (-3000)^2 + (-570000)^2 ) = -0.2907275094

Longitude = ATAN(-570000 / 157000) = -74.60038846

When I work with these numbers I prefer to use unit vectors, i.e. vectors that have a magnitude of one.  The magnitude doesn't matter because it just points a direction.  In unit vectors we have,

0, 1, 0  ---  points to the north pole
0, -1, 0  ---  points to the south pole
1, 0, 0  ---  points to 0 longitude on the equator
-1, 0, 0  --- points to 180 longitude on the equator
0, 0, 1  ---  points to +90 longitude on the equator
0, 0, -1  ---  points to -90 longitude on the equator

Edited by OhioBob

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.