[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:37 PM, Starwaster said:

I'm glad to see that @SkyRex94s workaround is helping people but for myself, when I revert the various other fixes I had implemented for myself and try his ocean fix, I get the same thing as before which is Surface Features (aka ROCs) spawning inappropriately. Apparently (and as has been mentioned) he issue I see isn't the same as what other people have experienced but nevertheless this is a serious issue for upscaled systems and the more they are scaled up the worse the problem is.

In this shot the Mun looks like it has measles :( 

(hint: at this distance and this speed those things should not be there at all)

So the only remedy (at this time) for this problem is custom terrain quality settings and reduction of ROC frequency

CUFB4hm.png

Stock, Kopernicus, 10x ReScale, right?

If so, I’ll check later to see if I can reproduce it. 

Keep in mind that the lower Terrain Detail settings actually increase ROC count in less quads:

Edited by Jognt

I still can't [lay KSP, I've tried removing all planet packs and planet modification stuff like SD but I can't get rid of that message. When I avoid it and try to load up a world, it never stops loading and the little planets in the corner keep going round and round. Here is what is in my GameData folder now:

000_ClickThroughBlocker
000_Toolbar
000_USITools
001_ToolbarControl
ActiveTextureManagement
AlphaDev
AnimatedDecouplers
B9PartSwitch
Benjee10_sharedAssets
Benjee10_shuttleOrbiter
Bluedog_DB
Canadarm
Coatl Aerospace
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
Cormorant Aeronology
CxAerospace
DeployableEngines
DistantObject
DMagicOrbitalScience
DMagicScienceAnimate
DockingCam
EditorExtensionsRedux
FASA
FerramAerospaceResearch
FMRS
FuelTanksPlus
HabTech2
htRobotics
HullCameraVDS
JanitorsCloset
JNH
KAS
KerbalAlarmClock
KerbalEngineer
KerbalFoundries
KerbalKonstructs
KerbalLaunchFailure
KerbalReusabilityExpansion
Kerbaltek
KerbalX
kerbodynePlus
KIS
Kopernicus
kOS
Kronometer
KSC
KSCExtended
KSPWheel
Launchers Pack
MagicSmokeIndustries
ManeuverNodeEvolved
MechJeb2
ModularFlightIntegrator
ModularLaunchPads
NearFutureSolar
OLDD
Omega's_Spacex_Style_Landingpads
OSSNTR
PlanetaryBaseInc
PlanetShine
PlumeParty
PreciseNode
ProceduralParts
RealPlume
RealPlume-Stock
RealScaleBoosters
reDIRECT
Science818
Sigma
SmokeScreen
Solaris_Hypernautics
SpaceY-Lifters                                                                                                                                        Squad                                                                                                                                  SquadExpansion                                                                                                                               Starman v2.1.1
SurfaceExperimentPackage
Tantares
TarsierSpaceTech
ThunderAerospace
TimeControl
Trajectories
TundraExploration
TundraSpaceCenter
TundraTechnologies
TweakScale
UmbraSpaceIndustries
Firespitter.dll
KSPModFileLocalizer.dll
MechJebAndEngineerForAll.cfg
ModuleManager.4.0.2.dll
ModuleManager.ConfigCache
ModuleManager.ConfigSHA
ModuleManager.Physics
ModuleManager.TechTree
remove_fun_part_patch.cfg
toolbar-settings.dat

All mods are up to date.

Here are my logs

output_log.txt: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzi9oa6ddulfedr/output_log.txt?dl=0

KSP.log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/um3aqt0ee4rowwe/KSP.log?dl=0

Ok, a few unused mods might be outdated but this was no issue before I installed the planet pack. Everything went fine till I installed OPM and when I thought that OPM caused the problem, I removed it which did nothing to the error message.

On 7/30/2019 at 12:35 AM, nwillard said:

Oh god, I'm getting freaky jittery black oceans in Minmus now after trying that ocean-collider fix. lol. I'll just avoid them and land elsewhere for now...

Do you have a screenshot? I’m on JNSQ so I can’t vouch for stock, but I haven’t spotted any obvious oddities on Mun/minmus there (yet). 

@Galileo considering your experience with creating/modifying planets, do you know of a tweak for the current bandaid-patch to minimize side-effects?

Im guessing that if the patch causes glitches it’d be due to the ocean being at the same height as the flats on MinMus, but I know far too little about planets to say. 

10 hours ago, Skeltcher said:

Can someone make it available in CKAN?

Kopernicus is on CKAN. You will have to set some of the older KSP versions as Compatible for it to install since (I think) ModularFlightIntegrator not being flagged for being 1.7.3 compatible. 

Currently using KSP 1.6.1 and Kopernicus 1.6.1-2.

Making some personal edits, changing Mun's orbit and replacing Kerbin with Gaia from GPO. I gave Mun an inclination of 12.9 and wanted to line up the ring with Mun, but the ring pivots as Gaia moves around the sun, so the two are only aligned once a year. Is there any way to get it to not do that, and have the ring and Mun aligned throughout the year? Config currently looks like this:

Ring
{
	angle = 12.9
	longitudeOfAscendingNode = 110
	lockRotation = true
}

2 minutes ago, FungusForge said:

Currently using KSP 1.6.1 and Kopernicus 1.6.1-2.

Making some personal edits, changing Mun's orbit and replacing Kerbin with Gaia from GPO. I gave Mun an inclination of 12.9 and wanted to line up the ring with Mun, but the ring pivots as Gaia moves around the sun, so the two are only aligned once a year. Is there any way to get it to not do that, and have the ring and Mun aligned throughout the year? Config currently looks like this:

Ring
{
	angle = 12.9
	longitudeOfAscendingNode = 110
	lockRotation = true
}

Is the ring around the main parent planet or around the Mun?

On 7/26/2019 at 9:39 PM, Diddly Feelerino said:

Btw, for those of you who don't know how to MM patch/those who don't use Mod Manager/those whose heads are in the clouds etc, here is the patch by @Jognt, provided in a handy .cfg file just for you*.

Simply download this and extract/copy the contents to your GameData/Kopernicus/Config file.

* I accept no responsibility for damage/loss of life/spontaneous combustion of PC/Kerbal sentience etc.

Kopernicus Stutter Fix (KSP 1.7.3)

PS - You MAY see ocean flickering on some stellar bodies (notably Minmus) but it's a temporary workaround for now. Sorry!

I extracted the KopernicusFix.cfg into the GameData/Kopernicus/Config folder as advertised, but then the game wouldn't load at all. Whenever I tried to resume game a start a new one, black screen for ages. I'm probably doing something horribly wrong. :-I 

From a brief overview of the last pages, there seem to be two issues. One with the spawn of the ROCs surface feature, which causes FPS drop, especially on Duna (tested and confirmed). The other one has to do with oceans (?) and causes tremendous CPU loads. Is that correct? These two are not related in any way, are they?

I'm having a similar CPU / GPU load related issue with planets added in Galaxies Unbound. Strangely enough, the problem doesn't occur with any other planets, stock or Outer Planets Mod I use. Is that the same bug you're discussing here that can remedied with a Kopernicus update?

Sorry, lots and lots of questions...

Just now, Aelipse said:

I extracted the KopernicusFix.cfg into the GameData/Kopernicus/Config folder as advertised, but then the game wouldn't load at all. Whenever I tried to resume game a start a new one, black screen for ages. I'm probably doing something horribly wrong. :-I 

From a brief overview of the last pages, there seem to be two issues. One with the spawn of the ROCs surface feature, which causes FPS drop, especially on Duna (tested and confirmed). The other one has to do with oceans (?) and causes tremendous CPU loads. Is that correct? These two are not related in any way, are they?

I'm having a similar CPU / GPU load related issue with planets added in Galaxies Unbound. Strangely enough, the problem doesn't occur with any other planets, stock or Outer Planets Mod I use. Is that the same bug you're discussing here that can remedied with a Kopernicus update?

What other mods are you running? Have you got the latest version of Kopernicus installed?

33 minutes ago, Diddly Feelerino said:

What other mods are you running? Have you got the latest version of Kopernicus installed?

Kopernicus 1.7.3, yes.

Mods I use:

ClickThroughBlocker
USITools
ToolbarControl
AtomicAge
b9PartSwitch
BetterTimeWarp
CommunityCategoryKit
CommunityResourcePack
CommunityTechTree
ContractConfigurator
ContractPacks
CTTP
CustomBarnKit
AirlineKuisine
FireSpitter
GroundEffect
GalaxiesUnbound
JX2Antenna
KAS
KerbalEngineer
KerbalJointReinforcement
KIS
Kopernicus
LoadingScreenManager
Mk2Expansion
ModularFlightIntegrator
OuterPlanetsMod
OPT (Spaceplane parts)
PlanetaryBaseInc
DeepFreeze
SurfaceLights
KerbalAlarmClock
USILifeSupport
WaypointManager

No visual enhancement mods, and my visual settings are pretty low too. The GPU overload only occurs near the Galaxies Unbound planets (not moons by the way), nowhere else. Do you think Kopernicus might be the culprit?

Small issue...

using kittopiatech, i am unable to export eve... any help?

Edit: can’t with laythe either... maybe something to do with oceans?

Edited by Mangu
More info

1 hour ago, Aelipse said:

I don’t know how the file from @Diddly Feelerino is set up, but the patch I posted is supposed to go into a .cfg that you can throw anywhere in your game data folder with any name you want as long as you don’t overwrite something else. 

There are currently two issues with Kopernicus. The first is a significant impact on frame rate on/near celestial bodies that have no ocean. And the second being an excessive amount of garbage being created every frame. 

While the second issue is very inelegant, the only impact it will have is greatly increased Garbage Collection cycles, which you notice because the game pauses for s split second while it does that. The mods Heappadder and Memgraph can be used to increase RAM available for garbage to reduce the frequency of the stutter, but there is no impact besides that. (Both mods do the same, don’t run both in the same install)

The first issue can have a huge impact on game performance depending on the power of the CPU used and the amount of parts active in the scene. It is this performance problem that the patch is made for. (Because it happens when there’s no ocean, the bandaid solution is to give everything an ocean. May cause graphical glitches)

The ROC count issue reported by for example @Starwaster is one I have not been able to replicate so far. I’ve asked him if he had been able to narrow it down to a subset of mods, so if he gets back to me on that I may be able to help check that out. If you’re seeing that problem too, be sure to note stuff like the amount of loaded quads and features shown in the alt+f12 menu, Breaking Ground, surface features, tick Enable ROC stats gathering. You may have to save/load to see values)

If I missed something, just @mention me as I’m on mobile which isn’t very well suited for proper reading :P 

@Jognt Thank you for the comprehensive answer. Unfortunately, your solution doesn't seem to work for me. I took the code you posted (attached below to make sure that's actually the one), put it into a newly created .cfg file and placed that file right into the GameData/Kopernicus directory. All I got was a black loading screen whenever I tried loading my saves or creating a new game.

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body:HAS[!Template[Jool],~name[Sun],!Ocean]
	{
		%Ocean
		{
			%maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
		}
	}
}

I'm using the Galaxy Unbound mod by StarCrusher and he tinkered with the naming of the Sun, but I'm not at all convinced that would be a valid reason for the game not loading.

As for the FPS drop on Duna, I do experience that too in saves that do not have ROC set to -1. When I was test-landing, the surface features covered the surface so densely I could see at least two of them no matter where I landed. Screenshots below:

Spoiler

407KKW.png

QXb7hH.png

G0RYtR.png

Ps74Q5.png

Xxqtga.png

AzQ2R1.png

Let me know if there's anything I can help with.

Edited by Aelipse

Interesting; I literally installed the GU mod myself. Doesn't GU add several new files to Kopernicus?

Go into the file I uploaded (Notepad) and look for the top line;

Change it to this and try booting it up again;

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus,GU]

I'm not sure it'll work but give it a go and get back to me.

3 minutes ago, Diddly Feelerino said:

Interesting; I literally installed the GU mod myself. Doesn't GU add several new files to Kopernicus?

Go into the file I uploaded (Notepad) and look for the top line;

Change it to this and try booting it up again;

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus,GU]

I'm not sure it'll work but give it a go and get back to me.

No, that will not work. You cannot use AFTER or any other phase operator that way. You have to give it a single pass to execute in.

1 minute ago, Starwaster said:

No, that will not work. You cannot use AFTER or any other phase operator that way. You have to give it a single pass to execute in.

Hmm. What about simply; @Kopernicus:AFTER[GU] 

I take it copying the config over to the GU/Kopernicus folder wouldn't help either?

@Aelipse

Edit your settings.cfg file and change SERENITY_ROCS_VISUAL_SPEED to 50 (default is 500)

That should help a little by reducing the speed at which you need to be going before ROCs start spawning (a lot of the ones you are seeing in the statistics are areas you passed over and you're going quite fast)

That might not be the most appropriate value for that setting but I don't know how much GU affects planet sizes and there are other factors. It may also be necessary to adjust the ROC frequency in their configuration file. That could be done assuming a global scale value for all planets but the way it should be done is on a planet by planet basis depending on their size. (frequency will affect them differently depending on planet size and terrain quality settings)

4 minutes ago, Diddly Feelerino said:

Hmm. What about simply; @Kopernicus:AFTER[GU] 

I take it copying the config over to the GU/Kopernicus folder wouldn't help either?

No. Just use :FINAL

@Diddly Feelerino @Starwaster @Jognt  Reporting back in case you're still interested.

I created a new .cfg file in GameData/Kopernicus with this in it:

Spoiler

@Kopernicus:FINAL[Kopernicus]
{
	{
		%Ocean
		{
		}
	}
}

The result when I tried to load my game:

Spoiler

sE7W5u.png

1 hour ago, Aelipse said:

@Diddly Feelerino @Starwaster @Jognt  Reporting back in case you're still interested.

I created a new .cfg file in GameData/Kopernicus with this in it:

Reveal hidden contents

@Kopernicus:FINAL[Kopernicus]
{
	{
		%Ocean
		{
		}
	}
}

The result when I tried to load my game:

Reveal hidden contents

sE7W5u.png

Thanks for the feedback. I have a rough idea of what’s going on that I’ll check up on. 

In the meantime I recommend removing the patch and checking what @starwaster said to help with the ROCs. 

One request though; could you upload your output.log file somewhere and link it here? 

9 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@Jognt 

Sorry, thought I told you

Kopernicus + SigmaDimensions + Rescale x10

That simple. The Mun is a good testing ground. Come in low (i.e. shallow) so you accumulate a good ground track of ROCs on your way down.

You probably did tell me. And I probably forgot or missed it. Whoops. I’ll do a quick 10x run this afternoon then :) 

Edited by Jognt

4 hours ago, Jognt said:

Thanks for the feedback. I have a rough idea of what’s going on that I’ll check up on. 

In the meantime I recommend removing the patch and checking what @starwaster said to help with the ROCs. 

One request though; could you upload your output.log file somewhere and link it here? 

Sure thing. Here you go. If there's anything else I can do to help, just ping me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.