[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

12 hours ago, Starwaster said:

@Aelipse

Edit your settings.cfg file and change SERENITY_ROCS_VISUAL_SPEED to 50 (default is 500)

That should help a little by reducing the speed at which you need to be going before ROCs start spawning (a lot of the ones you are seeing in the statistics are areas you passed over and you're going quite fast)

That might not be the most appropriate value for that setting but I don't know how much GU affects planet sizes and there are other factors. It may also be necessary to adjust the ROC frequency in their configuration file. That could be done assuming a global scale value for all planets but the way it should be done is on a planet by planet basis depending on their size. (frequency will affect them differently depending on planet size and terrain quality settings)

Thank you, this definitely helped with the landing, but it's still far from ideal (and I do realise I do sound like an ungrateful mutt - sorry, that's not my intention at all!). The game is still laggy (low FPS) when you're landed. Besides, the amount of surface anomalies is just unbearable. I thought they were meant to be rare and the player has to search for them. But this way, no matter where you land, this is how many surface features I could count just from one screenshot:

Spoiler

zTws53.png

Is there a way to reduce the total number of surface features generated on every celestial body? I would easily go for like a thousandfold reduction, as that would not only improve the FPS, but also make the game waaaay more interesting. :)

EDIT: Man, am I stupid. I totally forgot I recently turned the scatter on, albeit only to 2 %. Nevermind the screenshot then. Still, according to the console, there were 4 of those surface features, and that's still quite a lot.

Edited by Aelipse

14 hours ago, Aelipse said:
  Hide contents

@Kopernicus:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
	@Body:HAS[!Template[Jool],~name[Sun],!Ocean]
	{
		%Ocean
		{
			%maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
		}
	}
}

I'm using the Galaxy Unbound mod by StarCrusher and he tinkered with the naming of the Sun, but I'm not at all convinced that would be a valid reason for the game not

Presuming you already tried a minimal mod install, how about adding StarCrusher's name for the sun into the patch file?

And regarding the Minmus issues: would it be sufficient to lower the ocean level below the surface (how?)?

@Aelipse

Modify this to suit you. As is it cuts the amount in half.

@ROC_DEFINITION:HAS[#Frequency[*]]:FINAL
{
	@Frequency *= 0.5
}

It's not really the right way IMO since the exact percentage to modify by should be done on a planet by planet basis depending on its size. But that will get the job done.

hello! my solarpanel doesnt work. anyone can help? 

i use 1.7.3 with realsolarsystem and rssve. i've reinstalled kopernicus to the latest version, it still doesnt work. 

i press the alt+F12 and it shows:

Error: Timing FI threw during Update: System. NulIReference Exception: Object
reference not set to an Instance of an object
at Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.SunbodyFlux
(ModularFI.ModularFlightIntegrator flightIntegrator) [0x00000) In <filename unknown>:0
at ModularFIModularFllghtIntegrator. CalculateSunBodyFlux () [Ox00000]In <filename unknown>:0
at FlightIntegrator. ThermoPrecalculate () [Oxo0000] In <filename unknown: 0
at FlightIntegrator Update () [Ox00000] in <filename unknown>: 0
at ModularFLModularFllghtintegrator. TimedUpdate O [ax0000o] In <filename unknown>: 0
at TimingFI. Update () [Ox00000] In <filename unknown>:0
Exception: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Exception: NullReferenceException

anyone can help? 

@Diddly Feelerino @Starwaster @Jognt Alright guys, some more testing have been done and some weird things discovered. (And if you want me to stop pinging you, just let me know. :) )

First, I was faffing around the incredibly laggy game on the surface of Duna. All of the mods I use installed. Turns out when I go on EVA and jetpack my way some 370 m away from the craft, lagging stops and FPS are back to smooth! And they remain smooth until I get back to around 200 m from the craft, where the lagging starts again. The craft in question is only made of 25 parts, but it does contain some Mk2Expansion mod parts.

In second phase, I went pure stock, moving all the mod folders into a backup folder outside the KSP directory. The result: everything perfectly smooth, no FPS issues.

Third, I proceeded to run the game with Kopernicus and Galaxies Unbound only. Smooth again, no FPS issues - not even on the surface feature ridden dunes of Duna.

Fourth, I put all the mod folders back to KSP directory, reverting to my original modded game. Now I land on Duna again with stock parts only shuttle. Everything perfectly smooth, no FPS issues. Then I load up my original craft containing the Mk2Expansion parts and do the same. This time around, no lags, no FPS loss, nothing. I'm still wading through a heap of surface features all around me, but the game is as smooth as ever.

Weird? Could simply the order in which the mod folders are put into GameData affect the performance? I am very sure I didn't lose or change any files along the way - now that I think about it with one exception: the ModuleManager.4.0.2.dll I had in my folder might have originated from another mod, and during the testing, when I was running the game only with Kopernicus and GU, I had to restore said file from freshly downloaded Kopernicus zip file. Perhaps this can help some other players as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a rather unrelated note, I also tested the ROCs fix provided by @Starwaster, to no avail. I got nothing but black screen; the same one I got from the Oceans fix by @Jognt. Looks like I will have to come to terms with the fact that whenever I decide to visit one of the Galaxies Unbound planets, my graphic card is gonna start slowly turning into plasma. :( 

Edited by Aelipse

14 minutes ago, Aelipse said:

@Diddly Feelerino @Starwaster @Jognt Alright guys, some more testing have been done and some weird things discovered. (And if you want me to stop pinging you, just let me know. :) )

First, I was faffing around the incredibly laggy game on the surface of Duna. All of the mods I use installed. Turns out when I go on EVA and jetpack my way some 370 m away from the craft, lagging stops and FPS are back to smooth! And they remain smooth until I get back to around 200 m from the craft, where the lagging starts again. The craft in question is only made of 25 parts, but it does contain some Mk2Expansion mod parts.

In second phase, I went pure stock, moving all the mod folders into a backup folder outside the KSP directory. The result: everything perfectly smooth, no FPS issues.

Third, I proceeded to run the game with Kopernicus and Galaxies Unbound only. Smooth again, no FPS issues - not even on the surface feature ridden dunes of Duna.

Fourth, I put all the mod folders back to KSP directory, reverting to my original modded game. Now I land on Duna again with stock parts only shuttle. Everything perfectly smooth, no FPS issues. Then I load up my original craft containing the Mk2Expansion parts and do the same. This time around, no lags, no FPS loss, nothing. I'm still wading through a heap of surface features all around me, but the game is as smooth as ever.

Weird? Could simply the order in which the mod folders are put into GameData affect the performance? I am very sure I didn't lose or change any files along the way - now that I think about it with one exception: the ModuleManager.4.0.2.dll I had in my folder might have originated from another mod, and during the testing, when I was running the game only with Kopernicus and GU, I had to restore said file from freshly downloaded Kopernicus zip file. Perhaps this can help some other players as well.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a rather unrelated note, I also tested the ROCs fix provided by @Starwaster, to no avail. I got nothing but black screen; the same one I got from the Oceans fix by @Jognt. Looks like I will have to come to terms with the fact that whenever I decide to visit one of the Galaxies Unbound planets, my graphic card is gonna start slowly turning into plasma. :( 

The lag you're experiencing 300m from the craft has been tested and noted by a few of us here already (see a few pages back); it's got something to do with the oceans ingame or something; the current quickfix is to simply add oceans to every planetary body, bar gas giants. 

AFAIK it's caused by Kopernicus; all your other mods should be fine.

8 minutes ago, Aelipse said:

The one that cuts the frequency of ROCs in half? No way that would have caused a 'black screen'. That output_log.txt file you uploaded was way too short. When uploading a log, make sure to run the game through to whatever problem you're troubleshooting until the problem is reproed (in this case, black screen) and then exit the game to ensure the entire log is flushed to file. I'd bet there's errors being spammed in there, maybe relating to KopernicusStar. Or depending on if the ocean fix is still in there somewhere and it patched the sun or Jool then that would do it also.

But the one I provided doesn't touch Kopernicus, only the stock ROC_DEFINITIONs on each planet.

The other thing you described where you moved away from your landing craft and the lag stopped: That's the ocean thing. KopernicusBuoyancy causes lag on planets with no oceans.

No, doesnt matter what order things were installed in. 

1 hour ago, Aelipse said:

The sudden smooth gameplay when you get 350m away from your lander isn't strange at all. In fact, it's the exact behavior I was seeing when I arrived in this thread. :P

What CPU/speed are you running? Because technically, you shouldn't be having smooth gameplay on a body with no Ocean{} without the patch when running kopernicus :P

I'll get off my behind and finally tweak the patch for GU, I've done most of the thinking, just need to put it into actual work done.

Testing the FPS is best done with the same save, craft, location so everything is equal and you aren't comparing different parts/locations etc. Many people couldn't repro the FPS problem I had. It was 4x4Cheesecake who checked out my save and confirmed the problem. Which was probably due to me using structural plates to make something look nice which increased the part count to where the problem became noticeable.

Oh, and thanks for the mention. I kinda feel popular. ;)

Edit: @Aelipse With some help from @StarCrusher96 I updated the anti-FPS-loss-on-some-planets MM patch so it should just work for every planetpack/whatever. Visual glitches may apply, I'm guessing that happens when the terrain itself is at 'sea level' so the terrain and newly added Ocean fight for dominance to show themselves. If someone knows how to tweak it further so even that side-effect is gone, sharing is caring ;)

Having said that, Kopernicus received several commits in recent days, one of which is aimed at resolving this problem, so perhaps the patch isn't needed anymore soon™. Be sure to remove the patch if you're using it once Kopernicus updates.

Link to patch:

Edited by Jognt
Bolded some stuff for people skimming thread for a solution

On 8/2/2019 at 2:11 AM, Starwaster said:

@Jognt 

Sorry, thought I told you

Kopernicus + SigmaDimensions + Rescale x10

That simple. The Mun is a good testing ground. Come in low (i.e. shallow) so you accumulate a good ground track of ROCs on your way down.

Can confirm.. 30km above Mun on 10x rescale with just Kopernicus, SigDem, ReScale, and the temporary Ocean{} fix and this is what I'm seeing:

https://imgur.com/a/jUeQ4Hj

Output log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q3v8amwe4qjtx3h/30km_Orbit_Mun_10x_Scale_Save_output_log.zip?dl=0
Complete save: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2xmomw7lt07xh6r/30km_Orbit_Mun_10x_Scale_Save.zip?dl=0

Reproduce:
1. Install KSP;
2. Install Kopernicus;
3. Install SigmaDimensions;
4. Install ReScale (10x);
5. Copy the "complete save" data over to the fresh install;
6. Set KSP to "High" Terrain quality preset;
7. Load up the "10x 30km above Mun" save;
8. Enable the ROC data gathering and optionally the ROC locator;
9: Behold your puny framerate and the massive amounts of ROCs showing, even though you're way up and going at 1762m/s.

This is not supposed to be a thing afaik. Is Kopernicus doing anything specific that would override the distance/speed limitation on ROCs?

@Jognt

actually that’s been discussed in one of the issues on the GitHub page and is why I mentioned setting the speed limit to 50 above. It’s a scale related issue and the speed isn’t actually measured from the vessel. It’s the camera’s movement from frame to frame. 

For JNSQ it should probably be 125 but that’s an estimate.  And (I suspect) may not work the same for all planets since as I understand it, several of JNSQ’s planets are new and not rescaled?

On a related note even if the speed fix I detailed is applied, pausing the game while at an altitude that ROCs can spawn at but above the speed limit will result in all quads within range spawning ROCs since for a brief frame the camera will have a speed of zero. I am certain that one is pure stock and should be reproducible in stock except that it’s harder to meet the necessary conditions and the impact will be negligible. But if anyone ever does notice such a patch spawning after pausing the game? That’s why. And there’s nothing to be done for it. 

my solar panel doesn't work.

i'm using RSS with a ksp version of 1.7.3. i got the latest version of kopernicus. 

i've tried several ways, 

if i delete the file : :gamedata/kopernicus/config/solarpanel.cfg, the solar panels still don't work; with no data in receiving area or energy output. 

if i delete the two files: 

gamedata/kopernicus/config/solarpanel.cfg

and gamedata/realsolarsystem/kopernicus/config/solarpanel.cfg , it shows the data of receiving area, but there's no output of energy. 

delete the cfg file in the realsolarsystem/copernicus, is still useless. 

i press the alt+F12 and it shows:

Error: Timing FI threw during Update: System. NulIReference Exception: Object
reference not set to an Instance of an object
atKopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.SunbodyFlux
(ModularFI.ModularFlightIntegrator flightIntegrator) [0x00000) In <filename unknown>:0
at ModularFIModularFllghtIntegrator. CalculateSunBodyFlux () [Ox00000]In <filename unknown>:0
at FlightIntegrator. ThermoPrecalculate () [Oxo0000] In <filename unknown: 0
at FlightIntegrator Update () [Ox00000] in <filename unknown>: 0
at ModularFLModularFllghtintegrator. TimedUpdate O [ax0000o] In <filename unknown>: 0
at TimingFI. Update () [Ox00000] In <filename unknown>:0
Exception: NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

anyone can help? 

@Jognt

actually that’s been discussed in one of the issues on the GitHub page and is why I mentioned setting the speed limit to 50 above. It’s a scale related issue and the speed isn’t actually measured from the vessel. It’s the camera’s movement from frame to frame. 

For JNSQ it should probably be 125 but that’s an estimate.  And (I suspect) may not work the same for all planets since as I understand it, several of JNSQ’s planets are new and not rescaled?

On a related note even if the speed fix I detailed is applied, pausing the game while at an altitude that ROCs can spawn at but above the speed limit will result in all quads within range spawning ROCs since for a brief frame the camera will have a speed of zero. I am certain that one is pure stock and should be reproducible in stock except that it’s harder to meet the necessary conditions and the impact will be negligible. But if anyone ever does notice such a patch spawning after pausing the game? That’s why. And there’s nothing to be done for it. 

I'm using RSS alongside a star pack and, as it seems, solar panels are receiving starlight from far-away distances and charging accordingly. However, they are generating EC at ridiculous rates - which shouldn't happen given how far the sources are.

I've taken a look at the configs and, as it seems, there are no SolarPowerCurve nodes for the added stars. Could it be possible the game is using some default value? The Sun itself doesn't seem to have an explicit SolarPowerCurve, but it works as intended.

Imgur album with the problem in action.

Kopernicus 1.6.1-9 for KSP 1.6.1

EDIT: nevermind the "occluded by celestial body" remark; that's on Kerbalism. Also, it's interesting to note this problem doesn't seem to hold during timewarp; it could definitely be Kerbalism related. Still, do you think it has something to do with the missing SolarPowerCurve?

Edited by Tonas1997

I was having an issue that I thought was OPM. I had low FPS while landed on Duna and the Mun but not other bodies in a mostly stock install (stock scale, tested all bodies). I tried the add oceans patch and it fixed everything so well I have higher framerate than without Kopernicus/OPM now(~60FPS no mod, 7FPS OPM, 68FPS OPM and ocean fix). The discussion for the last couple of pages seemed to be about rescaled systems(and ROCs). I just wanted it to be known for sure that the oceans fix probably needs to be stuffed into the mod even with stock scales.

8 hours ago, AngrybobH said:

I was having an issue that I thought was OPM. I had low FPS while landed on Duna and the Mun but not other bodies in a mostly stock install (stock scale, tested all bodies). I tried the add oceans patch and it fixed everything so well I have higher framerate than without Kopernicus/OPM now(~60FPS no mod, 7FPS OPM, 68FPS OPM and ocean fix). The discussion for the last couple of pages seemed to be about rescaled systems(and ROCs). I just wanted it to be known for sure that the oceans fix probably needs to be stuffed into the mod even with stock scales.

Yup it’s for all scales, stock included. 

Fun side-effect: you may get a mission offer to splash down in the Mun’s Ocean. ;) 

7 hours ago, Jognt said:

Yup it’s for all scales, stock included. 

Fun side-effect: you may get a mission offer to splash down in the Mun’s Ocean. ;) 

I kinda got this accidentally; I downloaded a mission pack that challenges one to summit the highest and lowest points on every celestial body. I guess the lowest point on the Mun is below sea level, because I VISITED A DURN LAKE ON THE MUN!!!

looking forward to a proper patch :D

Edited by nwillard

I have a problem with the illumination of my color map : the dayside of it has an offset of 90° from the normal dayside.

gXns7JP.jpg

GDZa1p9.png

Here’s my game data folder

rPTIMuZ.png

I use KSP  1.7.3 with the correct version of kopernicus and kittopia.

Also I can’t open the gui of kittopia when I press ctrl p or ctrl t.

1 hour ago, Vortinium said:

I have a problem with the illumination of my color map : the dayside of it has an offset of 90° from the normal dayside.

gXns7JP.jpg

GDZa1p9.png

Here’s my game data folder

rPTIMuZ.png

I use KSP  1.7.3 with the correct version of kopernicus and kittopia.

Also I can’t open the gui of kittopia when I press ctrl p or ctrl t.

You cannot open kittopia with scatterer installed.

The incorrect lighting is due to not saving your normal maps correctly. 

And lastly, you should never edit planets with that many mods installed. Once you have finished the planets with a minimal install, then add the mods in. You are only asking for issues otherwise and will probably get ZERO support from devs or anyone else because nobody wants to thumb through your mods to figure out a problem.

4 hours ago, Galileo said:

You cannot open kittopia with scatterer installed.

The incorrect lighting is due to not saving your normal maps correctly. 

And lastly, you should never edit planets with that many mods installed. Once you have finished the planets with a minimal install, then add the mods in. You are only asking for issues otherwise and will probably get ZERO support from devs or anyone else because nobody wants to thumb through your mods to figure out a problem.

Thanks for the help ! now I realise it was quite dumb and unproductive to have so many mods while creating a world ( wait an eternity during the loading screen and I didn’t realise it’s such a pain in the cheeks to browse through all the mods files for someone else).Thanks for answering despite of that !

For the normal map I use a tool on Gimp that convert my colormap into a normal map (in blueish Colors) however I see that other normal map have a greyish tint with a low alpha, any tips for creating them ?

Edited by Vortinium

Is there any reason why stars would be charging panels at a non-null rate over extremely large distances? This is happening in RSS with both the Sun and added stars. I can't figure out exactly what defines a star's solar flux/panel charge rate, and I'm at my wit's end trying to understand why a ship in goddamn Alpha Centauri can charge its panels quite well enough by pointing them at the Sun 4 light-years away - and vice versa.

Below is the Sun's config from RSS, whose template is used by the other stars. Interestingly, the cached MM file only shows a body/brightnessCurve node for the Sun. If key = 0 0 0 25 is present, why are panels not generating (virtually) zero charge over those distances?

Body
{
	name = Sun
	cacheFile = RealSolarSystem/RSSKopernicus/Cache/Sun.bin
	Template
	{
		name = Sun
		removeProgressTree = false
	}
	Properties
	{
		displayName = The Sun
		description = The Sun, a G2V main sequence yellow dwarf.
		radius = 696342000
		gravParameter = 1.32712E+20
		ScienceValues
		{
		}
	}
	ScaledVersion
	{
		solarLightColor = 1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0
		Light
		{
			IntensityCurve
			{
				key = 0 0.9 0 0
				key = 8e+9 0.75 0 0
				key = 8e+11 0 0 0
			}
			ScaledIntensityCurve
			{
				key = 0 0.9 0 0
				key = 8e+9 0.75 0 0
				key = 8e+11 0 0 0
			}
			IVAIntensityCurve
			{
				key = 0 0.82 0 0
				key = 8e+9 0.675 0 0
				key = 8e+11 0 0 0
			}
			brightnessCurve
			{
				key = 0 0 0 25
				key = 0.01 0.105 0.5 0.5
				key = 1 0.6 0.5 0.5
				key = 5 3 0 0
				key = 10 3 0 0
				key = 50 2 0 0
				key = 200 2 0 0
			}
		}
		Coronas
		{
			Corona
			{
				scaleSpeed = 0.01
				scaleLimitX = 10
				scaleLimitY = 10
				updateInterval = 2.5
				speed = 10
				rotation = 0
				Material
				{
					texture = RSSVE/Textures/MainTextures/Misc/SunCorona
				}
			}
		}
		Material
		{
			emitColor0 = 0.85, 0.85, 0.85, 1.0
			emitColor1 = 0.975, 0.975, 0.85, 1.0
			rimColor = 0.975, 0.975, 0.975, 1.0
			rimBlend = 2.5
			rimPower = 0.75
			sunspotColor = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0
			sunspotPower = 2.0
		}
	}
	brightnessCurve
	{
		key = 0 0 0 25
		key = 0.1 0.105 0.5 0.5
		key = 1 0.6 0.5 0.5
		key = 5 3 0 0
		key = 10 3 0 0
		key = 50 2 0 0
		key = 200 2 0 0
	}
}

Any help would be welcomed, as I'm outrageously desperate. Kopernicus version 1.6.1-9.

On 8/7/2019 at 9:34 PM, hieywiey said:

I seem to have some sort of mod conflict with Kopernicus in 1.7.3. I am using Breaking Ground and Making History. This is on macOS High Sierra. Something seems to be interfering with the loading of Kerbol. Link to the log file is in the spoiler.

Could someone please help me with this issue? It’s effectively holding my career save hostage.

Is there a reason for the Kopernicus spam like in this pic. those numbers started small at about 100m off the surface and the frequency they get posted also started small. Then the numbers get bigger, frequency gets faster, and on and on. At the point of this screenshot, the ship was uncontrollable(i.e. cannot rotate or translate in any direction) and shutting off the engine gave constant accel. Looked at the console first and saw this. replicated several times. I have 67 mods installed, so sure, it could be one of them but, this is the only clue I have so far.

8A540E48C1A34DD888A7B0952DCF19E7EC9D8063

On 8/10/2019 at 2:04 AM, AngrybobH said:

Is there a reason for the Kopernicus spam like in this pic. those numbers started small at about 100m off the surface and the frequency they get posted also started small. Then the numbers get bigger, frequency gets faster, and on and on. At the point of this screenshot, the ship was uncontrollable(i.e. cannot rotate or translate in any direction) and shutting off the engine gave constant accel. Looked at the console first and saw this. replicated several times. I have 67 mods installed, so sure, it could be one of them but, this is the only clue I have so far.

8A540E48C1A34DD888A7B0952DCF19E7EC9D8063

For the FPS crash near/on bodies with no water, there’s a bandaid patch that works around the problem either on this or the previous page. I bolded the text so you should be able to skim and find it quickly. 

Regarding the similar fps crash on planets like JNSQ kerbin, I have no idea yet what is causing it, but its unplayable enough for me to try *stuff*. (Or quit playing. Whichever comes first)

On 8/9/2019 at 8:15 PM, hieywiey said:

Could someone please help me with this issue? It’s effectively holding my career save hostage.

Could you elaborate on the issue (what happens when you start KSP/load your game) and when it started occuring?

Im on mobile so downloading and checking the log isn’t happening at the moment. 

To those with solar panel problems: I have no clue. All I can say is ‘make sure you have the most recent Kopernicus and ModularFlightIntegrator’. 

Edited by Jognt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.