[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

5 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I have a question about one of the planet property lines in the Kopericus wiki:

coreTemperatureOffset = ?

Is this command necessary and what does it exactly do? Is it similar to emissivity = ?scale from 0 to 1? 

That property sets the stock CelestialBody.coreTemperatureOffset property and is not otherwise used internally to Kopernicus. As for what the stock property does, I can't find any documentation for it, so you'd have to ask SQUAD.

8 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

@Sigma88 -

I have a question about one of the planet property lines in the Kopericus wiki:

Is this command necessary and what does it exactly do? Is it similar to emissivity = ?scale from 0 to 1? 

I'm working on a mod pack using Kopernicus  - and it's my first one. I hope I don't drag the thread down with too many questions... ( @OhioBob)

Don't worry these questions are perfectly valid ones.

I am not familiar with that parameter , I will need to take a look at it tonight.

I will let you know if I find out more

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

It's the "I can't get this word document to wrap around my planet, and when I get too close, my neck starts to itch. How do I fix that?" questions that get ignored.:D 

I'm sorry, now that was just funny!

@HebaruSan and @Galileo and @Sigma88:

I am not sure if it helps, but here's the page I found it on in the wiki:

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/wiki/Properties

At first glance, because I've noticed related things are always stacked together in the wiki, I thought emissivity and coreTemperatureOffset = were somehow related settings. I've tried studying other planetary mods and have noticed a lot of variable "properties" items and there seems to be no rhyme or reason many are used or otherwise not used - or maybe I am just going crazy...

Edited by adsii1970

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

This is a good place to ask questions. It's the "I can't get this word document to wrap around my planet, and when I get too close, my neck starts to itch. How do I fix that?" questions that get ignored.

however, I don't know what that parameter does. :D 

Don't forget "I am using GPP with a crapton of other mods and I have bugs but I thought it was better to report them here rather than on the GPP thread because reasons"

Just now, Sigma88 said:

Don't forget "I am using GPP with a crapton of other mods and I have bugs but I thought it was better to report them here rather than on the GPP thread because reasons"

Yeah, those are also a thing lol must be trending

4 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I'm sorry, now that was just funny!

@HebaruSan and @Galileo and @Sigma88:

I am not sure if it helps, but here's the page I found it on in the wiki:

https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/wiki/Properties

At first glance, because I've noticed related things are always stacked together in the wiki, I thought emissivity and coreTemperatureOffset = were somehow related settings. I've tried studying other planetary mods and have noticed a lot of variable "properties" items and there seems to be no rhyme or reason many are used or otherwise not used - or maybe I am just going crazy...

As hebarusan said, we can't know what the purpose of that parameter is.

Kopernicus just changes the value, but ksp itself uses it to do whatever it is that the parameter does. And since the code of ksp is not available we cannot tell you exactly what its purpose is

2 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

hehehe... I am not creating a mod in my normal playing game. Nope, learnt (as they say in Kentucky) that lesson back when I was modding in SimCity 4...  :confused:

Always have a separate install with only the basic mods needed as dependencies whenever creating a mod of your own... :blush:

So, the one I am modding in is, as my daughter says, no fun... :D

1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

As hebarusan said, we can't know what the purpose of that parameter is.

Kopernicus just changes the value, but ksp itself uses it to do whatever it is that the parameter does. And since the code of ksp is not available we cannot tell you exactly what its purpose is

Ok, I understand. I just wanted to make sure you guys knew I wasn't just making up some property to make myself look smart or to confuse you. I've been on threads before where it seems that some folks love doing that.

1 minute ago, Thomas P. said:

coreTemperatureOffset is just a constant temperature that is added to the temperature that is calculated based on albedo, emissivity etc.

So, if I understand your answer correctly, if I gave it a value of 50.0, then it would add whatever units of additional heat (equaling the 50.0) radiating from that body in addition to what it is already radiating out from what it is receiving from the host star?

2 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

So, if I understand your answer correctly, if I gave it a value of 50.0, then it would add whatever units of additional heat (equaling the 50.0) radiating from that body in addition to what it is already radiating out from what it is receiving from the host star?

Yes, but not from the host star. The host planet can also apply heat to a vessel (if it has got an atmosphere). Thats where it comes from.

Of course the heat from the star is also applied.

Edited by Thomas P.

1 minute ago, Thomas P. said:

Yes, but not from the host star. The host planet can also apply heat to a vessel (if it has got an atmosphere). Thats where it comes from.

Of course the heat from the star is also applied.

I assume this will also affect the ground temperature of bodies without atmosphere since I see most moons have it (mostly jool moons)

1 hour ago, Thomas P. said:

coreTemperatureOffset is just a constant temperature that is added to the temperature that is calculated based on albedo, emissivity etc.

What about if the planet has an atmosphere?  Does it add temperature above that generated by temperatureCurve?

Hello, gang, it is me again with another question...

Is there a string command, surfaceTemperature = , so to say, that will give a surface temperature range for a planet when the information panel is used within the tracking center?

Edited by adsii1970

16 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

I've looked on the wiki on GitHub and have tried to find them on the forum, but is there a comprehensive list of PQS mods available through Kopernicus?

if you have kittopiatech installed, you can go to the PQS tab and select "Add PQSMod" (the button is at the very bottom of the page)

Kittopia will then show you a list of all PQSMods available

as far as I know that's the easiest way to find the list of PQSMods available

Greetings! I read the OP and realize I'm not including the required information, but, I'm not even sure this is a Kopernicus issue so I wanted to verify that first. Basically, when I attempt to start a new game, instead of loading into the space center it just says "Loading" in the bottom right, seemingly forever. The planets are spinning and KSP isn't frozen, but it never loads. The reason why I thought it might be Kopernicus related is that the KSP.log file is filled with this:

[EXC 20:44:21.009] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.LateUpdate ()
[EXC 20:44:21.024] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	Kopernicus.StarLightSwitcher.Update ()
[EXC 20:44:21.025] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
	GalaxyCubeControl.Update ()
[EXC 20:44:21.026] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.041] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.042] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.043] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.058] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.059] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.060] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.069] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.069] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.070] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.091] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.092] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.093] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.109] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.109] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.110] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Is anyone able to tell me if this is a Kopernicus issue? Thanks!

Edit: I think this might be a problem related with To Boldly Go. It seems to load fine until that mod is in place. I think that answers my question!

Edited by Bandus

19 minutes ago, Bandus said:

Greetings! I read the OP and realize I'm not including the required information, but, I'm not even sure this is a Kopernicus issue so I wanted to verify that first. Basically, when I attempt to start a new game, instead of loading into the space center it just says "Loading" in the bottom right, seemingly forever. The planets are spinning and KSP isn't frozen, but it never loads. The reason why I thought it might be Kopernicus related is that the KSP.log file is filled with this:

[EXC 20:44:21.009] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.024] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.025] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.026] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.041] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.042] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.043] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.058] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.059] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.060] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.070] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.091] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.092] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.093] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 20:44:21.110] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Is anyone able to tell me if this is a Kopernicus issue? Thanks!

We need to know what mods you are running. Particularly, what planet pack. 

5 minutes ago, Galileo said:

We need to know what mods you are running. Particularly, what planet pack. 

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm running Stock Visual Enhancements with the High Res Textures, and EVE without the configs.

54 minutes ago, Bandus said:

I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but I'm running Stock Visual Enhancements with the High Res Textures, and EVE without the configs.

By "planet pack", he means any mods that add new planets (such as Outer Planets Mod) or completely replace the stock Kerbol System (such as Galileo's Planet Pack).  Or those that add a second system outside the Kerbol System (To Boldly Go, as you mentioned, I believe is one of these).

Edited by MaxxQ

23 minutes ago, Bandus said:

Oh! Sorry. I am using To Boldly Go.

Oh boy, better off asking there. I have zero knowledge as to how that mod works, expect the fact that its procedural. I assume it could be a ton of different reasons that are causing the null refs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.