[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

So it seems like there's a bug now where reparenting Kerbin causes orbits around it to change when a save is reloaded.

Reproduction steps:

Install Kopernicus 1.1.3-1 on KSP 1.1.3.

Install a config that reparents Kerbin. Here's a simple-as-you-like one: (But I encourage you to also try others)

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[!GalacticNeighborhood]:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
        @Body[Kerbin]
        {
                @Orbit
                {
                        @referenceBody = Jool
                        %semiMajorAxis = 108737000
                }
        }
}

Put a craft in a known orbit round Kerbin. (I used Hyperedit).

Quit and restart the game and reload the save.

Observe that the orbit has shifted.

Edited by cantab

18 hours ago, Padishar said:

If you didn't install ModularFlightIntegrator then you didn't install the mod properly.  It requires ModularFlightIntegrator to function.

You will need to install the mod as described in the first post and then test it creating a new save.  If that works then try an existing save, though you should expect problems if you install a planet pack that modifies any body that you have a vessel at.  If you have problems, then post a decent description of what is going wrong, along with logs (e.g. upload the KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt file to a file sharing site and link it here).

I tried a new save and it freezes but not the whole game itself, what is the cause making ModularFlightIngegrator not let me load up a save or make a new one?

Is this the mod the one I use to make an island? I'm hoping I can do that for a video I'm working on. I know there was an old mod (Kittopia) that had visual editing (I never used it before so I can't say much). I'm kinda wandering around here to find a solution to making an island on Kerbin.

6 hours ago, cantab said:

So it seems like there's a bug now where reparenting Kerbin causes orbits around it to change when a save is reloaded.

Reproduction steps:

Install Kopernicus 1.1.3-1 on KSP 1.1.3.

Install a config that reparents Kerbin. Here's a simple-as-you-like one: (But I encourage you to also try others)

@Kopernicus:NEEDS[!GalacticNeighborhood]:AFTER[Kopernicus]
{
        @Body[Kerbin]
        {
                @Orbit
                {
                        @referenceBody = Jool
                        %semiMajorAxis = 108737000
                }
        }
}

Put a craft in a known orbit round Kerbin. (I used Hyperedit).

Quit and restart the game and reload the save.

Observe that the orbit has shifted.

every time I have tried, I could see the bug only if I was timewarping in the KSC scene

could you confirm you had it happening without using time warp in the KSC scene?

2 hours ago, Vonnmillard said:

I tried a new save and it freezes but not the whole game itself, what is the cause making ModularFlightIngegrator not let me load up a save or make a new one?

21 hours ago, Padishar said:

If you have problems, then post a decent description of what is going wrong, along with logs (e.g. upload the KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt file to a file sharing site and link it here).

If you don't do this bit then all we can do is guess...

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

every time I have tried, I could see the bug only if I was timewarping in the KSC scene

could you confirm you had it happening without using time warp in the KSC scene?

Definitely not timewarped in the KSC scene. Been able to reproduce it without ever timewarping in the save or the play session.

There's a reported workaround which involves first loading another save. And when I go straight to the Tracking Station on loading the save I briefly see the affected craft saying "Orbiting the Sun" or "Orbiting [Kerbin's parent]".

59 minutes ago, cantab said:

Definitely not timewarped in the KSC scene. Been able to reproduce it without ever timewarping in the save or the play session.

There's a reported workaround which involves first loading another save. And when I go straight to the Tracking Station on loading the save I briefly see the affected craft saying "Orbiting the Sun" or "Orbiting [Kerbin's parent]".

did you try without using hyperedit? I always tried putting a kerbal2 in orbit (roughly 105km x 105km)

if I go back to ksc, shut the game and reload, the craft is still there.

if I exit to the main menù and go back, the craft is still there

if I timewarp in the tracking station, nothing breaks

if I timewarp at the KSC, the orbit of the craft gets messed up

58 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

did you try without using hyperedit? I always tried putting a kerbal2 in orbit (roughly 105km x 105km)

if I go back to ksc, shut the game and reload, the craft is still there.

if I exit to the main menù and go back, the craft is still there

if I timewarp in the tracking station, nothing breaks

if I timewarp at the KSC, the orbit of the craft gets messed up

I'm got KSP 1.1.3, Kopernicus 1.1.2, and New Horizons 2.0.  I only just now downloaded Kopernicus 1.1.3-1 so haven't tried that yet, and of course NH 2.0 is for KSP 1.1.2.  But anyway....

In New Horizons, Kerbin is a moon of a gas giant.  With the above set-up, my stuff in orbit around Kerbin all has very unstable orbits.  Everything put in orbit in this game was flown there from the ground, not HyperEdited, although I have used HyperEdit to fix some of their orbits when they've gotten all weird on me.

Here's how my orbits are unstable:

• The orbits only change when the ship is on rails, NOT when it's active.
  • The orbits for on-rails ships change whether the game is running at 1x or warping.
  • The orbits change by the Pe getting lower and the Ap getting higher.  These changes are significant, adding up to hundreds of km on both ends if the initial orbit was big enough and you let it go long enough.
  • The lower the initial orbit is, the faster the change happens.  Objects in 80x80 orbits will start scraping the atmosphere at Pe in the time it takes to design a simple low-tech orbiter at 1x time.  If you keep letting it run on rails, soon the Pe will be near the center of Kerbin and the Ap will be at several hundred km.

3 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

I'm got KSP 1.1.3, Kopernicus 1.1.2, and New Horizons 2.0.  I only just now downloaded Kopernicus 1.1.3-1 so haven't tried that yet, and of course NH 2.0 is for KSP 1.1.2.  But anyway....

In New Horizons, Kerbin is a moon of a gas giant.  With the above set-up, my stuff in orbit around Kerbin all has very unstable orbits.  Everything put in orbit in this game was flown there from the ground, not HyperEdited, although I have used HyperEdit to fix some of their orbits when they've gotten all weird on me.

Here's how my orbits are unstable:

• The orbits only change when the ship is on rails, NOT when it's active.
  • The orbits for on-rails ships change whether the game is running at 1x or warping.
  • The orbits change by the Pe getting lower and the Ap getting higher.  These changes are significant, adding up to hundreds of km on both ends if the initial orbit was big enough and you let it go long enough.
  • The lower the initial orbit is, the faster the change happens.  Objects in 80x80 orbits will start scraping the atmosphere at Pe in the time it takes to design a simple low-tech orbiter at 1x time.  If you keep letting it run on rails, soon the Pe will be near the center of Kerbin and the Ap will be at several hundred km.

ok, another thing, 

you can tell they have changed because the orbit is different once you go back to the tracking station, but while in the tracking station all the orbits are fixed. Right? 

Or can you actually see the orbits change while in the tracking station?

Edited by Sigma88

3 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

ok, another thing, 

you can tell they have changed because the orbit is different once you go back to the tracking station, but while in the tracking station all the orbits are fixed. Right? 

Or can you actually see the orbits change while in the tracking station?

UPDATE:  Now using Kopernicus 113-1 and the same things I noted above are still happening.

To answer your question, I really don't know.  I haven't tried watching from the tracking station.  My NH game is a going career so I'm playing it normally, not trying to run tests.  But I do know orbits change when you're not looking.  For instance,just now I had a station in a 150km orbit and a probe in a 100km parking orbit waiting on a transfer window.  I left them there for a couple days while flying another ship.  When the probe's maneuver alarm went off, I went back to Kerbin and it was just gone, as in no longer existing.  Also, the station was now on an escape trajectory out of Sonnah.

59 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

UPDATE:  Now using Kopernicus 113-1 and the same things I noted above are still happening.

To answer your question, I really don't know.  I haven't tried watching from the tracking station.  My NH game is a going career so I'm playing it normally, not trying to run tests.  But I do know orbits change when you're not looking.  For instance,just now I had a station in a 150km orbit and a probe in a 100km parking orbit waiting on a transfer window.  I left them there for a couple days while flying another ship.  When the probe's maneuver alarm went off, I went back to Kerbin and it was just gone, as in no longer existing.  Also, the station was now on an escape trajectory out of Sonnah.

we are trying to figure out this bug but honestly there's no way to say how near a solution could be.

the only thing that I can say for certain is that the bug only occurs if you reparent kerbin, and that for now the only solution seems to be to avoid playing on a mod that reparents kerbin.

this is why I haven't updated GN to 1.1.3 yet, and probably won't untill this bug has been solved

23 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

this is why I haven't updated GN to 1.1.3 yet, and probably won't untill this bug has been solved

And this is why I've abandoned the idea of putting stations in Kerbin orbit in New Horizons.  But the rest of it seems to be working OK and I don't have much use for Kerbin stations anyway, so I can survive until it gets fixed.

Good heavens... @Thomas P. congratulations on your first release :) - I've been following this thread and I can't say how happy it makes me that you're out of beta. I've seen this mod go through a number of iterations to get here and the expanded list of contributors tells me that you're drawing from the pool of every version. Grats :)

7 hours ago, Kepler68 said:

how would you get the lit up side of a planet to face a different star? i have a bright star orbiting a dark star with the planets and i would like to have the light side of the planets face the bright star. 

the only way as far as I know would be to put the planet in orbit around the bright star

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.