[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

1 hour ago, FreeThinker said:

Is there any documentation on how the luminosity of a star is determined/calculated ? I tried understanding it from the source code but I couldn't get a clear answer.

From my experimentation, the "luminosity" of the home star is the solar constant at the home world.  For instance, the stock sun has a luminosity of 1360, so that means the solar constant at Kerbin will be 1360 W/m2.  It doesn't matter how far away from the star the home world is positioned.  The solar flux at other distances from that star are computed according to the inverse square law.

For other stars, their luminosity setting is simply in direct proportion to the home star.  For example, if you have a second star and give it a luminosity of 136, it will have 10% of the home star's luminosity.  If you place a vessel at a distance from the second star equal to the home world's distance from it's star, you should read a solar flux of 136 W/m2.

16 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

For other stars, their luminosity setting is simply in direct proportion to the home star.  For example, if you have a second star and give it a luminosity of 136, it will have 10% of the home star's luminosity.  If you place a vessel at a distance from the second star equal to the home world's distance from it's star, you should read a solar flux of 136 W/m2.

I noticed that the Light node in ScaledVersion node  in Kopernicus config file, can contain the properties luminosity and sunAU

using the formula

L=r2I

SolarLuminosity might be calculated by

SolarLuminocity= sunAU2luminosity

Edited by FreeThinker

17 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

I notice that the Light node in ScaledVersion node  in Kopernicus config file, can contain the properties luminosity and sunAU

From what I've determined, sunAU has nothing to do with a star's luminosity.  The only purpose for sunAU appears to be to compute the lookup for brightnessCurve.  BrightnessCurve, despite its name, has nothing to do with luminosity.  It determines the size of the sunflare when viewed at different distances, where distance is in units of, sunAU/(distance from star in meters).

SolarLuminosity might be calculated by

I'm confident that's not the case.  The "luminosity" parameter is the solar constant at the home world.

Edited by OhioBob

6 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

From what I've determined, sunAU has nothing to do with a star's luminosity.  The only purpose for sunAU appears to be to compute the lookup for brightnessCurve.  BrightnessCurve, despite its name, has nothing to do with luminosity.  It determines the size of the sunflare when viewed at different distances, where distance is in units of, sunAU/(distance from star in meters).

so only the luminosity property in the Light node influence the stars effective flux? I will verify if that is correct.

2 minutes ago, FreeThinker said:

so only the luminosity property in the Light node influence the stars effective flux? I will verify if that is correct.

I've tested it several times over the last couple years.  At one time the solar constant of 1360 W/m2 at the home world was hardcoded into it.  But the last time I tested, which was a few months ago, that was fixed.

If you give a star a luminosity of X, and then place a satellite in orbit around that star at a distance of 1 AU (where 1 AU equals semimajor axis of home world), then you should read a solar flux of X.  When moving closer or farther away, you should see the solar flux change according to the inverse square law.

5 hours ago, OhioBob said:

I've tested it several times over the last couple years.  At one time the solar constant of 1360 W/m2 at the home world was hardcoded into it.  But the last time I tested, which was a few months ago, that was fixed.

If you give a star a luminosity of X, and then place a satellite in orbit around that star at a distance of 1 AU (where 1 AU equals semimajor axis of home world), then you should read a solar flux of X.  When moving closer or farther away, you should see the solar flux change according to the inverse square law.

Thanks, it seems to work.

I helped me to a helper kopernicus class which will collect Kopernicus luminosity star data

I've just setup a fresh install of KSP. With only Kopernicus installed, I've noticed that the sun shines through the surface of Jool from about the distance of Tylo. This seems to appear both in the map view as well as from a ship landed on Tylo's surface. Anyone know of a way to correct this?

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 8:40 PM, SquaredSpekz said:

Hi, using Kopernicus in @Avera9eJoe's Spectra. I'm having an issue where the flare for Kerbol is disappearing. Suggestions? 

You should ask that question in the Spectra thread.  Chances are it's a problem with Spectra, not Kopernicus.  If the Spectra dev rules out his mod as the culprit and determines it's a Kopernicus issue, then let him report the problem to Kopernicus.  The Kopernicus thread is not the place to report problems that you're having with another mod.

Edited by OhioBob

trying to load kopernicus but keep getting popup. doesnt make a difference dx9 11 12. everything works fine with just module flight intergrator and squad module manager.  

Spoiler

[LOG 12:44:14.160] [Kopernicus] Running Kopernicus 1.3.1-15 on KSP 1.3.1
[LOG 12:44:14.171] [Kopernicus] Default logger initialized as Kopernicus
[LOG 12:44:14.178] [Kopernicus] ShaderLoader: Loading asset bundle at path E:/ksp_RO_RSS/KSP_win64/KSP_x64_Data/../GameData/Kopernicus/Shaders\kopernicusshaders-windows.unity3d
[EXC 12:44:14.185] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.Components.ShaderLoader.LoadAssetBundle (System.String path, System.String bundleName)
    Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader.Kopernicus.IParserEventSubscriber.Apply (.ConfigNode node)
    Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds)
    Kopernicus.Parser.CreateObjectFromConfigNode[Loader] (.ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds)
    Kopernicus.Injector.Awake ()
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    Kopernicus.Injector:Awake()
    UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
    AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
    AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
    AddonLoader:OnLevelLoaded(Int32)
    AddonLoader:OnSceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)
    UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager:Internal_SceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)
    [LOG 12:44:16.433] [ApplicationLauncher] OnSceneLoadedGUIReady: scene MAINMENU ShouldBeVisible() True ShouldBeOnTop() True iIsPositionedAtTop True
[ERR 12:44:16.435] Exception handling event onLevelWasLoadedGUIReady in class <>c:System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at Kopernicus.StarLightSwitcher+<>c.<Start>b__2_1 (GameScenes scene) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[EXC 12:44:16.438] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.StarLightSwitcher+<>c.<Start>b__2_1 (GameScenes scene)
    EventData`1[GameScenes].Fire (GameScenes data)
    EventData`1:Fire(GameScenes)
    <FireLoadedEventGUIReady>c__Iterator6D:MoveNext()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr)

this keeps repeating from here out. 
[EXC 12:44:16.440] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.Components.KopernicusStar.LateUpdate ()

[Kopernicus] Running Kopernicus 1.3.1-7 on KSP 1.3.1
[LOG 13:01:31.231] [Kopernicus] ShaderLoader: Loading asset bundle at path E:/ksp_RO_RSS/KSP_win64/KSP_x64_Data/../GameData/Kopernicus/Shaders\kopernicusshaders-windows.unity3d
[EXC 13:01:31.238] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Kopernicus.Components.ShaderLoader.LoadAssetBundle (System.String path, System.String bundleName)
    Kopernicus.Configuration.Loader.Kopernicus.IParserEventSubscriber.Apply (.ConfigNode node)
    Kopernicus.Parser.LoadObjectFromConfigurationNode (System.Object o, .ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds)
    Kopernicus.Parser.CreateObjectFromConfigNode[Loader] (.ConfigNode node, System.String configName, Boolean getChilds)
    Kopernicus.Injector.Awake ()
    Kopernicus.Injector:Awake()
    UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
    AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
    AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
    AddonLoader:OnLevelLoaded(Int32)
    AddonLoader:OnSceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)
    UnityEngine.SceneManagement.SceneManager:Internal_SceneLoaded(Scene, LoadSceneMode)

k.logs

//================================================================================================================//
//=====  Kopernicus 1.3.1-15 - (BuildDate: 24.10.2018 15:32:33; AssemblyHash: tcjJJdzeuOByK0JIXzUyrJfoxFU=)  =====//
//================================================================================================================//
[LOG 12:44:14]: Logger "Kopernicus" was created
[LOG 12:44:14]: Injector.Awake(): Begin
[LOG 12:44:15]: [Kopernicus] RuntimeUtility Started
[LOG 12:44:15]: StarLightSwitcher.Awake(): Begin

//=====  Kopernicus 1.3.1-15 - (BuildDate: 24.10.2018 15:32:33; AssemblyHash: tcjJJdzeuOByK0JIXzUyrJfoxFU=)  =====//
[LOG 12:44:15]: Logger "Kopernicus.Runtime" was created

only thing in the gamedata folder is kopernicus, module flight intergrator, module manager, squad. 

pretty sure im using right version 131-15 for ksp ver 131 right? 

tried both 131-7 and 15 

Edited by COL.R.Neville

What is the smallest radius planetoid I can make with Kopernicus? I'm trying to make something like a big asteroid (1 - 1.5 km diameter) but the surface engulf anything I try to land on it. Kerbals seems have no problems, but vehicles go down and explode.

WC9A1d3.jpg

I have no visual problem or other glitches. I tried to increase gravity (from 0.001 to 0.5) making thing worse: lander go down the terrain faster.

Any advice? :)

52 minutes ago, YourOldNerd said:

What is the smallest radius planetoid I can make with Kopernicus? I'm trying to make something like a big asteroid (1 - 1.5 km diameter) but the surface engulf anything I try to land on it. 

Just increase the radius incrementally until the problem goes away.  Then tell us what the answer is.

I know bodies with radii as small as 6-7 km have been done.

3 hours ago, Nightside said:

Has anyone had trouble using HyperEdit to place a craft at a specific location on a renamed homeplanet (in my case Earth/RSS)? If so have you found a solution? I mentioned it to the HyperEdit dev but they're stumped.

Yes.  I've been unable to land a craft on occasions, but I never debugged the problem enough to make the connection that it was only a renamed home planet.  But now that you say it, that sounds right.  I'm pretty sure I've only had the problem on the home world, and I was probably playing with either GPP or GEP installed.  I have found no solution to the problem.

Edited by OhioBob

So I've been able to narrow down where this issue is coming from:

Spoiler

7MJ9rUu.png

The sun shines through Jool from around Tylo's orbit. Closer than that, the sun disappears. This happens in map view and also in-game.

The issue is coming from Kopernicus.dll, specifically the latest version (v1.5.1-1). I downgraded only this file to the one from v1.5.0-1 and the problem is gone. So this issue is coming from this file, specifically something added or changed for the latest version.

EDIT: Disregard, the only reason it didn't work was because Kopernicus wasn't actually loading, despite not throwing any errors. I'll keep digging, but it seems to be an issue as far back as v1.4.5

EDIT 2: Okay I've realised this is not an issue with Jool, specifically. It's only most noticeable with Jool.

It seems at a certain distance from a body, the sun ignores occlusion from that body and the sun shines - regardless of that body's size. You will see the sun from directly behind Moho at the same distance as Kerbin, or Eeloo and even Jool.

It's like beyond a certain distance, occlusion isn't even considered anymore. This isn't a issue with most planets as they are small compared to Jool. But yes, for Jool the sun shines through the planet quite obviously.

Edited by Rayder

4 hours ago, Rayder said:

snip

This should be fixed with the next Kopernicus release, I figured out that Kopernicus was overriding a part of the stock code. This code contains the fix that 1.5 already ships for this bug, so I just removed the (useless) override for it

Thanks for the research!

Edited by Thomas P.

I tried KSP 1.5.1 with Rescale 6.4x mod and Sigma Dimensions 0.9.8, and it works almost fine but for some reason FPS drops to unplayable level on the surface of the Mun near small base. Any chance this is Kopernicus' problem? FPS drops only with Rescale+Kopernicus mods, stock size version without Kopernicus works ok.

Edited by Nathanson

I came across an visual issue when using kopernicus and SVT in KSP 1.5.1: Some textures are really bright and it almost looks like there is some kind of invisible, additional light source:

Spoiler

UZfnETI.png

After removing kopernicus (but keeping SVT), the textures are looking fine again:

Spoiler

OKqOxdn.png

I already went through the log but I cannot find anything related to these specific textures but this:

d3d: failed to create 2D texture id=3317 w=110 h=62 mips=7 d3dfmt=894720068 [invalid call]

and this:

[OD] Adding for body Bop map named gp1minormoon100 (RGB) for Bop of path = SVT/textures/PluginData/gp1minormoon100.dds

DontDestroyOnLoad only work for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.

Well, the latter ones already existed in KSP 1.4. where everythings works fine, so I don't think that it is actually a problem. Not quiet sure about the d3d entry, these used to be warnings about compression and not creation...

Full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqcbc2pm6xkk46v/output_log(1.5.1_kopernicus_SVT).txt?dl=0

I'm kinda puzzled here...I know that SVT is not updated for 1.5.1 but I'm curious why removing kopernicus fixes this issue. Is it actually a kopernicus issue or something SVT related?  Any advise?

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

8 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I came across an visual issue when using kopernicus and SVT in KSP 1.5.1: Some textures are really bright and it almost looks like there is some kind of invisible, additional light source:

Hide contents

UZfnETI.png

After removing kopernicus (but keeping SVT), the textures are looking fine again:

Reveal hidden contents

OKqOxdn.png

I already went through the log but I cannot find anything related to these specific textures but this:

d3d: failed to create 2D texture id=3317 w=110 h=62 mips=7 d3dfmt=894720068 [invalid call]

and this:

[OD] Adding for body Bop map named gp1minormoon100 (RGB) for Bop of path = SVT/textures/PluginData/gp1minormoon100.dds

DontDestroyOnLoad only work for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.

Well, the latter ones already existed in KSP 1.4. where everythings works fine, so I don't think that it is actually a problem. Not quiet sure about the d3d entry, these used to be warnings about compression and not creation...

Full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqcbc2pm6xkk46v/output_log(1.5.1_kopernicus_SVT).txt?dl=0

I'm kinda puzzled here...I know that SVT is not updated for 1.5.1 but I'm curious why removing kopernicus fixes this issue. Is it actually a kopernicus issue or something SVT related?  Any advise?

Does SVT do anything without Kopernicus?

6 minutes ago, Nightside said:

Does SVT do anything without Kopernicus?

Yes, SVT needs kopernicus just for the Jool rings

edit: wait, that's not true...it was SVE which uses kopernicus for the Jool rings...

SVT actually depends on kopernicus, so that's the connection I was looking for. Guess I have to take a closer look at the SVT configs.

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

New Ground Stations Have No Names

I'm working on a redesigned Alien Space Programs that uses Kopernicus 1.5.1's "Change my Kerbin" functionality. I can template almost any stock world and make it home, and this has the added bonus of preserving that world's native artifacts while keeping Kerbin's artifacts off of it. No more island runway in a 2 km-deep hole on Eve, for instance.

Without Kerbin's ground stations I would make a normal mode career game very difficult for probe missions. I found I could place new ground stations using a configuration similar to this one.

@PQS
		{
			Mods
			{
				City2
				{
					snapToSurface = True
					alt = 2646.770378948946
					lat = 8.2625413532419554
					lon = 74.708019183562669
					objectName = Maria Shores
					up = 0,1,0
					rotation = 0
					snapHeightOffset = 7
					commnetStation = True
					isKSC = False
					order = 100
					enabled = True
					name = CommNetDish
					LOD
					{
						Value
						{
							visibleRange = 30000
							keepActive = False
							model = BUILTIN/dish1
							scale = 5,5,5
							delete = False
						}
					}
				}
			}
		}

But the names of these stations won't appear in the CommNet status. Instead I see a big blank space where a name should be.

RXqjT1F.png

The anomaly on KerbNet is the ground station I placed in the above example. The CommNet status is 100% signal, but with no name.

Is there any way to make a name show up? Perhaps there's a DisplayName value I'm missing in the City2 configuration.

Edited by Gordon Fecyk
Grammar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.