[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

2 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

I wonder, for the next version of Kopernicus, if some sort of shader could be added to the ring-system. They look pretty great already, it's just that they get kinda weird up-close (thick lines instead of fine particles), which is why I wonder if some kind of shader could be added. Like scaledspace versus actual surface, getting close to the rings slowly blends in a specified texture to provide an overlay of small, colored particles.

It may sound a little weird, but please, bear with me. I'll upload an example of what I mean made with GIMP later.

2 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

I understand what you mean - sadly I am absolutely untalented when it comes to shaders. :( If someone else would donate me a shader, I would happily implement it.

Maybe @Waz or @blackrack can assist?  

I also have an idea which may work. I'll try it later today and post the results 

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Maybe @Waz or @blackrack can assist?  

I also have an idea which may work. I'll try it later today and post the results 

I will do this as soon as I'm done with the EVE integration business. In fact I started working on a ring shader a while ago as an experiment, I posted pics somewhere in the scatterer thread.

Someone remind me though :D

Edited by blackrack

8 minutes ago, blackrack said:

I will do this as soon as I'm done with the EVE integration business. In fact I started working on a ring shader a while ago as an experiment, I posted pics somewhere in the scatterer thread.

Someone remind me though :D

Oh yeah you were working on rings a while ago.  You were trying to add ring shadows if I remember correctly

On 6-11-2016 at 8:18 PM, msnbcorp said:

Hi kopernicus men, i'm trying to figure out the altitude units used by Kopernicus.

I tried to set up a new Land Class and i'm very stunished by the result.

With :

altitudeRange
                            {
                                endEnd = 0.2
                                endStart = 0.2
                                startEnd = 0
                                startStart = 0
                            }

The new land class just cover KSC. With higher value it cover nearly everything. First i thought that it was Kilometer unit ... but KSC is at 69m of altitude ... not at 200 m.

A test with 0.069 m for end altitude just made the new landscape disapear ....

So i'm lost ...

I try equally to figure out how work the scatter system in your .cfg . Is there example or doc anywhere ? I didn't found anything ... Currently i success to apply landscape which modify color etc... but the scatters parameters are just not apllied at all ...

If someone could help me to understand how this underground magic works :wink:

Edit :

I manage to change some scatters, but it only appears in one place near KSC, at the west ... don't manage to understant why there is a bunch of thing other there and not neer the KSC...

reedit :

After some test i conclude that scatters only appears where scatters was at the begenning in ksp stock. So if a landscape with scatter cover or replace the place with tree on the westn scatters appear other there, but not everywhere .... kind of strange behaviour ... i'm still taking explanation if possible ^^

LandClasses are in percentages iirc, 0 being the lowes point and 1 being the highest point on the planet. It's guesswork, really.

I'm not a LandControl expert I'm afraid, I'm learning the basics of that mod myself since it's a complete beast.

On 8-11-2016 at 5:26 AM, Galileo said:

So i set up the cacheFile in each of my celestial bodies cfgs, but only 26 out of 28 are reflected in the cache folder. why would that happen? not a big deal to me, i just think its weird. 

Like @Sigma88 said, unless you change the radius CacheFiles aren't generated. You can force this though:

Debug

{

exportMesh = true //should a cahce file be generated in the specified location? (Or otherwise, in Kopernicus' folder?)

update = true //should the planet be updated?

}

You can also use debug to force KSP to NOT generate cachefiles, like with stars and gas planets, while still updating the planet. Debug should be directly inside Body{}

15 hours ago, Galileo said:

Oh yeah you were working on rings a while ago.  You were trying to add ring shadows if I remember correctly

Ring shadows would be amazing! I was actually wondering if this would be possible though:

hG3QH9E.pngFrom this

g5wbLKe.pngTo something like this, rings appear to be made of fine particles up-close.

I'm not best at drawing these sort of things, but SpaceEngine has what I mean, I could snap a picture of what I'm taking about real quick.

This is what I'm talking about!

SHVdN1e.jpgSee how rings turn into small particle bands upon closer inspection in SpaceEngine? I wonder if a similar feature could be implemented for rings in KSP, because currently rings in KSP are best admired from far away, which is a real shame if you ask me. I bet anyone enjoyng OPM by @CaptRobau would feel thrilled to fly past Sarnus' rings if they looked like this up close. Plus, we can then pretend to do this! :D

Edited by The White Guardian

1 hour ago, The White Guardian said:

Ring shadows would be amazing! I was actually wondering if this would be possible though:

hG3QH9E.pngFrom this

g5wbLKe.pngTo something like this, rings appear to be made of fine particles up-close.

I'm not best at drawing these sort of things, but SpaceEngine has what I mean, I could snap a picture of what I'm taking about real quick.

SHVdN1e.jpgSee how rings turn into small particle bands upon closer inspection in SpaceEngine? I wonder if a similar feature could be implemented for rings in KSP, because currently rings in KSP are best admired from far away, which is a real shame if you ask me. I bet anyone enjoyng OPM by @CaptRobau would feel thrilled to fly past Sarnus' rings if they looked like this up close. Plus, we can then pretend to do this! :D

That is exactly what I did.  It just got a little late so I didn't upload any pics

4 minutes ago, Speadge said:

Hi there,

am i the only one that gets flickeruing orbital lines in mapview when having a planetpack installed?

those lines are mathing the color of the additional planets and are only visible on a specefic zoom-level. flickering at a rate of app 10/s

http://imgur.com/a/XcFFB

It's a thing.  I get it with my planet pack as well.  It doesn't break the game at all,  just an eyesore.  Easy enough to ignore for me. 

6 hours ago, Speadge said:

Hi there,

am i the only one that gets flickeruing orbital lines in mapview when having a planetpack installed?

those lines are mathing the color of the additional planets and are only visible on a specefic zoom-level. flickering at a rate of app 10/s

http://imgur.com/a/XcFFB

It's a stock ksp bug

But it's a lot more common if you install planet packs

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/13101

Edited by Sigma88

Has anyone noticed huge performance impacts (FPS dropping) when using Kopernicus?

I was trying to track down on my (massively modded) install what ate the most performance. Stock/clean I get 108 FPS in space center view. With all my mods in (visuals, parts, features) it is down to 30. So, taking it apart mod-by-mod I had expected to see that mostly the visual mods (SVE, scatterer) cause the most. To my surprise, they did not.

After analysing one-by-one I can fully reproduce:

• - no visual mods, but all part+feature mods I have 30 FPS 
  • - taking out only Kopernicus and OPM (leaving in all other part+feature mods) it immediately goes up to 94 FPS
  • - just putting Kopernicus back in (but still leaving OPM out, no other planet packs installed) I am immediately back down to 30 FPS

Problem: I do want to use OPM, and thus Kopernicus. :) So:

• Question 1: anyone else oberving such massive performance impacts?
  • Question 2: if so (and I am not alone), is there anything that can be tweaked about Kopernicus to improve the performance?

(KSP 1.2.1, mods updated to latest versions as much as possible, WIndows 10/x64 with nvidia 960m. And yes, I do know that "space center FPS" is not a very scientific measurement of performance, but I used this because the difference between 90 <-> 30 in that scene alone is already so massive. In-flight performance scales similarly, at least for me)

Edited by TheDog

1 hour ago, TheDog said:

Question 1: anyone else oberving such massive performance impacts?

I've not actually tried Kopernicus in 1.2.1 yet so I can't help you with this one...

Edit: I've just tried Kopernicus in a fresh install of 1.2.1 and don't see any such slowdown.

1 hour ago, TheDog said:

Question 2: if so (and I am not alone), is there anything that can be tweaked about Kopernicus to improve the performance?

Have you checked your log files to see if there is significant log spam?  That's the only thing I'd really expect to cause anything like that much slowdown with just Kopernicus (no extra planets) installed...

Edit: Whether there is log spam or not then you should really zip up the log and upload it somewhere (e.g. dropbox or similar) so we can take a look...

Edited by Padishar

1 hour ago, TheDog said:

Has anyone noticed huge performance impacts (FPS dropping) when using Kopernicus?

I was trying to track down on my (massively modded) install what ate the most performance. Stock/clean I get 108 FPS in space center view. With all my mods in (visuals, parts, features) it is down to 30. So, taking it apart mod-by-mod I had expected to see that mostly the visual mods (SVE, scatterer) cause the most. To my surprise, they did not.

After analysing one-by-one I can fully reproduce:

• - no visual mods, but all part+feature mods I have 30 FPS 
  • - taking out only Kopernicus and OPM (leaving in all other part+feature mods) it immediately goes up to 94 FPS
  • - just putting Kopernicus back in (but still leaving OPM out, no other planet packs installed) I am immediately back down to 30 FPS

Problem: I do want to use OPM, and thus Kopernicus. :) So:

• Question 1: anyone else oberving such massive performance impacts?
  • Question 2: if so (and I am not alone), is there anything that can be tweaked about Kopernicus to improve the performance?

(KSP 1.2.1, mods updated to latest versions as much as possible, WIndows 10/x64 with nvidia 960m. And yes, I do know that "space center FPS" is not a very scientific measurement of performance, but I used this because the difference between 90 <-> 30 in that scene alone is already so massive. In-flight performance scales similarly, at least for me)

I'd try a clean stock install plus kopernicus and MFI

no other mods, so you can rule out weird interaction with third party stuff and make sure Kopernicus alone is the culprit

Good ideas, guys!

I checked with a clean install + only Kopernicus + OPM: no performance impact, no log spam!

So, I have a bad interaction going on here, since "all mods -Kopernicus = OK", and "clean + Kopernicus = OK", and "all mods +Kopernicus = not ok"... :(

I *hate* it when this happens... I'll try to find the culprit and keep you posted!

4 minutes ago, TheDog said:

Good ideas, guys!

I checked with a clean install + only Kopernicus + OPM: no performance impact, no log spam!

So, I have a bad interaction going on here, since "all mods -Kopernicus = OK", and "clean + Kopernicus = OK", and "all mods +Kopernicus = not ok"... :(

I *hate* it when this happens... I'll try to find the culprit and keep you posted!

what are the bad interactions you speak of? what mods are acting up with kopernicus installed? that info would be great so i don't have to go looking for issues in your output log. 

Edited by Galileo

Just now, Galileo said:

what are the bad interactions you speak of? what is broken with kopernicus installed?

Drop in performance (FPS) in the space center scene from about 90 (without kopernicus) to 30 (with kopernicus and all other mods).

Though Kopernicus alone in a clean install does impact my performance at all. So, a weird interaction, I'll try some mod combinations to narrow it down...

1 hour ago, TheDog said:

Drop in performance (FPS) in the space center scene from about 90 (without kopernicus) to 30 (with kopernicus and all other mods).

Though Kopernicus alone in a clean install does impact my performance at all. So, a weird interaction, I'll try some mod combinations to narrow it down...

i get that but what other mods do you have installed? i know you said SVE and scatterer arent your issue but im skeptical of that. SVE and scatterer are very performance heavy especially on an integrated graphics card. Also, part packs, even when you aren't using the parts in flight, will crush performance. just having part packs in your gamedata will slow your game down. OPM is just a bunch of cfgs and textures shouldn't effect performance at all. with that, i think your culprit is OPM along with part packs. Depending on your CPU, i think adding OPM puts it over the edge causing a slow down when you have a bunch of other mods installed

Edited by Galileo

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

i get that but what other mods do you have installed? i know you said SVE and scatterer arent your issue but im skeptical of that. SVE and scatterer are very performance heavy especially on an integrated graphics card. Also, part packs, even when you aren't using the parts in flight, will crush performance. just having part packs in your gamedata will slow your game down. Kopernicus is just a bunch of cfgs and shouldnt effect performance at all. with that, i think your culprit is OPM or part packs. Depending on your CPU, i think adding OPM puts it over the edge causing a slow down when you have a bunch of other mods installed

I agree, that'll most likely be the explanation, but anyway I am doing some tests to see if I can narrow it down to something specific.

Looking at the Kopernicus code I do believe there is a Monobehaviour running in the space center scene which swaps the renderer materials, though: Kopernicus.Components/KSC.cs ->  MaterialFixer -> Update

34 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Kopernicus is just a bunch of cfgs and shouldnt effect performance at all.

This is a long way from being true...

12 minutes ago, TheDog said:

Looking at the Kopernicus code I do believe there is a Monobehaviour running in the space center scene which swaps the renderer materials, though: Kopernicus.Components/KSC.cs ->  MaterialFixer -> Update

Yes, there is, but it deletes itself after it switches the materials on the first call it gets to its Update function...

15 minutes ago, TheDog said:

but anyway I am doing some tests to see if I can narrow it down to something specific.

I would be very interested to see what MemGraph has to say about it (and about how much memory taskmanager says KSP is using in total).  Can you try it in the "all mods + kopernicus" and "all mods - kopernicus" setups?  Just go to the space center and leave it running for at least a couple of minutes and then take a screenshot of the graph window...

Hi there.

When i started with Kopernicus and OPM, and later played a short time further without Kopernicus because of updates, and later reinstalled it , are the new Planets in their correct location or are they back on their starting place like starting a new career?

58 minutes ago, Smarti said:

Hi there.

When i started with Kopernicus and OPM, and later played a short time further without Kopernicus because of updates, and later reinstalled it , are the new Planets in their correct location or are they back on their starting place like starting a new career?

their rotation will be reset afaik. So it will be like starting a new career

On 11/9/2016 at 5:53 AM, The White Guardian said:

hG3QH9E.pngFrom this

ok so my experiment with this crashed and burned... I dont know how i didnt foresee the outcome lol 

needless to say, I think our best chance at this falls with @blackrack 

Edited by Galileo

Comments on a weird problem seemingly associated with Module Flight Integrator? I was having bizarre orbital rendezvous problems last night.  I'd be approaching a space station at 5m/s, and suddenly at ~200m distance a huge phantom force would occur and instantly add 12-20m/s sideways.  Makes docking hard, I tell you.  MFI errors all over the log.  Kopernicus is the only mod I use that uses it

3 hours ago, fourfa said:

Comments on a weird problem seemingly associated with Module Flight Integrator? I was having bizarre orbital rendezvous problems last night.  I'd be approaching a space station at 5m/s, and suddenly at ~200m distance a huge phantom force would occur and instantly add 12-20m/s sideways.  Makes docking hard, I tell you.  MFI errors all over the log.  Kopernicus is the only mod I use that uses it

Have you tried reproducing the issue on a clean install with only MFI?

And also with  clean install + MFI + kopernicus and nothing else?

Thise two tests should help understand if it's a MFI bug or a bad interaction with kopernicus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.