[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

I have been playing with mods that add more star systems and I've always had the problem that solar panels don't work, They generate no electric charge even when the have exposure, also occasionally I have large drops in framerate, the ksc glitches out, also sunrise and sunset does not work properly in the ksc or in other places and this happens with and without mods installed.

So far the only way I'm able to play is deleting visual mods and rely on RTGs or nuclear reactors.

EDIT: I will post on GitHub issue report thingy just in case there is no easy fix 

Edited by Devan kerman
Oops :)

2 hours ago, Devan kerman said:

I have been playing with mods that add more star systems and I've always had the problem that solar panels don't work, They generate no electric charge even when the have exposure, also occasionally I have large drops in framerate, the ksc glitches out, also sunrise and sunset does not work properly in the ksc or in other places and this happens with and without mods installed.

So far the only way I'm able to play is deleting visual mods and rely on RTGs or nuclear reactors.

EDIT: I will post on GitHub issue report thingy just in case there is no easy fix 

Logs?

@Thomas P. @Sigma88,

I'm bumping this old request because it has never been solved.  It's still a problem in the latest Kopernicus.  Anything you can do to fix it is much appreciated.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 1:00 PM, OhioBob said:

Here's a problem that I hope somebody can help with. This problem is in KSP version 1.1.3 using Kopernicus 1.1.3-1.

I'm assisting on the development of a mod and we've run into trouble with a planetary ring and moonlet.  We have a ring system that is inclined about 30 degrees to the planet's equator and we want to have a moonlet embedded in a gap in the rings.  The problem we're having is that we can't seem to be able to lock down the orientation of the rings.  The line of nodes seem to randomly change and I haven't been able to identify any particular cause or pattern.  For example, I'll load up the game and use KittopiaTech to determine what the ascending node of the moonlet must be to match the plane of the rings.  I'll exit, edit the moonlet's cfg, restart the game, and the planes are nowhere near each other.  Using the direction of the sun for reference, it appears that the moonlet's orbit is correct, but the line of nodes of the ring plane has shifted from what it was previously.  I can never get the rings and moonlet coplanar.  Does anybody know how to fix this problem?  Is there an "ascendingNode" parameter or something similar for rings that will lock down their orientation?

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 1:13 PM, OhioBob said:

Yes, I experimented with the lockRotation parameter.  It didn't solve the problem.  Although it locked the ascending node of the rings in place once the game was started, it didn't stop the line of nodes from shifting from one run to the next.  As I recall, with lockRotation = false the ring axis would precess with the planet's rotation; and with lockRotation = true the ascending node remained fixed and was not tied to the planet's rotation.  However, I could find no way to permanently lock the ascending node to a particular celestial longitude.  As I explained, on one run the rings would have an ascending node of X.  I'd then exit the game, edit the moonlet's ascending node to match the rings, restart the game, and now the rings would have an ascending node of Y.  The lockRotation parameter appeared to have no affect on this random shifting of the ascending node.

It appeared that it just wouldn't allow me to make the ascending nodes of the rings and moonlet the same.  I could get the moonlet within a few degrees of the ring plane, but anytime I tried to make them exactly coplanar, the line of nodes of the rings would change on the next run.  Adding to the frustration, I could make the rings and moonlet coplanar if I edited the moonlet's ascending node using KittopiaTech; however, the problem would rear its ugly head when I edited the moonlet's config to make that change permanent.

2 hours ago, OhioBob said:

@Thomas P. @Sigma88,

I'm bumping this old request because it has never been solved.  It's still a problem in the latest Kopernicus.  Anything you can do to fix it is much appreciated.

I can't remember if I already suggested this, but have you tried using the same options I use in OPM tilt?

Urlum rings stay at 90 deg tilt and their orientation is consistent through time

Ot at least it was the last time I checked it, which admittedly is a loooong time ago

9 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I can't remember if I already suggested this, but have you tried using the same options I use in OPM tilt?

Urlum rings stay at 90 deg tilt and their orientation is consistent through time

Ot at least it was the last time I checked it, which admittedly is a loooong time ago

I was not aware that OPM used a ring tilt; I thought the ring angles were zero.  I'll take a look at it.

We're not having a problem tilting Tellumo rings per se.  The problem is getting the rings and the moon to occupy the same plane.  If it were just the ring I think we'd be OK.

43 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I was not aware that OPM used a ring tilt; I thought the ring angles were zero.  I'll take a look at it.

We're not having a problem tilting Tellumo rings per se.  The problem is getting the rings and the moon to occupy the same plane.  If it were just the ring I think we'd be OK.

OPM does not use a tilt

I made a little mod back in the days to alter the Urlumean (Urlumian?) system to be at a 90 deg tilt

That's the mod you need to look for

Go to my github ant it's listed between my repos (Sigma-OPMTilt)

I would link it but I'm on mobile

25 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I made a little mod back in the days to alter the Urlumean (Urlumian?) system to be at a 90 deg tilt

That's the mod you need to look for

OK, I see what you did.  I don't think you did anything new that's going to help with our situation.  In your case the moons Polta and Priax lie outside the edge of the rings and orbit in a slightly different plane than the rings.  I think we could reproduce what you've done and make it work, but that's not what we want.  We want the moon to orbit inside the rings and in exactly the same plane as the rings.  We can get close (like you did with OPM tilt), but we can't make the moon and rings exactly coplanar.

1 minute ago, OhioBob said:

OK, I see what you did.  I don't think you did anything new that's going to help with our situation.  In your case the moons Polta and Priax lie outside the edge of the rings and orbit in a slightly different plane than the rings.  I think we could reproduce what you've done and make it work, but that's not what we want.  We want the moon to orbit inside the rings and in exactly the same plane as the rings.  We can get close (like you did with OPM tilt), but we can't make the moon and rings exactly coplanar.

wait what? so the rings break only if the moons are coplanar? that makes no sense

1 minute ago, Sigma88 said:

wait what? so the rings break only if the moons are coplanar? that makes no sense

It may not make sense, but that's what happens.  I can make the moon and ring coplanar by using Hyperedit to change the moon's LAN, but that only works during that particular run.  If I change the moon's config to make the LAN change permanent, the next time I start the game the ring plane has changed.  The moon is in in the right place, but the ring plane appears to have randomly changed.  It's like the ring just doesn't want the moon in the same plane and runs away from it.  There no way that I've found to lock the ring plane into a particular position.  The LAN of the rings keeps changing. 

Do you know how is the LAN of the ring plane is determine?  There is no setting for it, at least not that I'm aware of.  When a ring is inclined, its LAN has got to come from somewhere.

Edited by OhioBob

Just now, OhioBob said:

Do you know how is the LAN of the ring plane is determine?  There is no setting for it, at least not that I'm aware of.  When a ring is inclined, its LAN has got to come from somewhere.

ah yes, it's fixed to zero, you can't change that afair

This mod (and its other add-on components) sounds like one big headache. I believe I mentioned several pages back about this being game breaking or glitchy. Is Kopernicus safe to use with my current save file? I'm running 1.2.2.

Edited by memyselfandI

33 minutes ago, memyselfandI said:

This mod (and its other add-on components) sounds like one big headache. I believe I mentioned several pages back about this being game breaking or glitchy. Is Kopernicus safe to use with my current save file? I'm running 1.2.2.

Its safe, unless you decide to use a planet pack that replaces the stock system or bodies or moves things around. Then your current vessels may just disappear or explode depending on where they end up. For example, loading your save from the stock system into Galileos planet pack will destroy your game 100%. 

Kopernicus isn't glitchy or game breaking, but people that write up poor cfgs can cause issues. 

Hundreds, if not thousands of people use kopernicus everyday to make their game be what they want it to be. Any issue that typically arise are due to user error/ignorance or the planet pack they use is poorly put together. 

In any case, just make a duplicate of your save file. That way if stuff goes haywire, you have a fall back. 

Edited by Galileo

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Its safe, unless you decide to use a planet pack that replaces the stock system or bodies or moves things around. Then your current vessels may just disappear or explode depending on where they end up. For example, loading your save from the stock system into Galileos planet pack will destroy your game 100%. 

Kopernicus isn't glitchy or game breaking, but people that write up poor cfgs can cause issues. 

Hundreds, if not thousands of people use kopernicus everyday to make there game be what they want it to be. Any issue that typically arise are due to user error/ignorance or the planet pack they use is poorly put together. 

In any case, just make a duplicate of your save file. That way if stuff goes haywire, you have a fall back. 

Gotcha. So, I can use the addons in the first page of this thread to enhance the visuals so as long I don't have the stock bodies of Sol System replaced? 

21 minutes ago, memyselfandI said:

Gotcha. So, I can use the addons in the first page of this thread to enhance the visuals so as long I don't have the stock bodies of Sol System replaced? 

Yep. There are a lot of other packs that are not listed on the OP of this thread a quick search of the forums could be worth your time :wink:

17 minutes ago, memyselfandI said:

Which ones do you recommend for Visually enhancing the Sol System?  

Visually enhancing it? Kopernicus isn't really used for visual enhancement. It's more for replacing planets and making new ones. There is a mod that does enhance the ground textures, called Stock Visual Terrain. It is designed for the stock system. It's a good mod, but the developer is a jerk. 

If you want visuals, you can use EVE or SVE ( there are others as well that escape me at the moment). 

scatterer is also a really cool mod.

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Visually enhancing it? Kopernicus isn't really used for visual enhancement. It's more for replacing planets and making new ones. There is a mod that does enhance the ground textures, called Stock Visual Terrain. It is designed for the stock system. It's a good mod, but the developer is a jerk. 

If you want visuals, you can use EVE or SVE ( there are others as well that escape me at the moment). 

scatterer is also a really cool mod.

Unfortunately I tried SVE and it crashes KSP. Can't even take a screenshot because of it crashing. Does Eve enhance the terrain, or replace the stock planets?

Edited by memyselfandI

6 minutes ago, Galileo said:

There is a mod that does enhance the ground textures, called Stock Visual Terrain. It is designed for the stock system. It's a good mod, but the developer is a jerk. 

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

3 minutes ago, memyselfandI said:

Unfortunately I tried SVE and it crashes KSP. Can't even take a screenshot because of it crashing.

seeing as there are tons of people who use SVE, I'd say it's a problem with the installation. I'd recommend going over to the SVE thread and asking for help

Edited by TheRagingIrishman
spelling

1 hour ago, memyselfandI said:

Unfortunately I tried SVE and it crashes KSP. Can't even take a screenshot because of it crashing. Does Eve enhance the terrain, or replace the stock planets?

If SVE is crashing, especially when takin screenshots, that's either due to you not running x64 bit or you don't have enough ram in your computer. EVE is the exact same thing as SVE, just a very basic version of it. It only adds clouds and doesn't touch anything else. So no it doesn't replace textures. 

kopernicus is the only mod that can replace planets or add new ones. It's also the only one that allows for replacing ground textures.

To all - A couple of hopefully quick question?

Kopernicus based

How can I use 1 set of Textures (Height, Colour and Normal) for multiple Planets, but still have them look different? Would I use different PQSMods? or How?

Also can I use math within the .cfg's, as I've been looking at Stellarator and To Boldly Go for inspiration, and found that in the .cfg's for Stellarator there is this: "deformity = 150 * (planet.radius / 10) / 13"?? is this part of how Stellarator works or can Kopernicus use this to help with the VertexHeightNoise module that it is in?

And if anyone can add to this, thanks in advance.

Modding based - Also if I want to share what I am working on. Guess I would start a thread in Add-on Development? Initially to request for Testers/feedback?, but again not sure how to go about it. Would I ask for Testers and share with only them or open it to all and hope I get people that will provide feedback?

Any and all help/advice will be appreciated.

Edited by Pretorian28715

@Pretorian28715

- There is, currently, no way to change textures on the go. No matter what you do they'll look similar.

- Not sure if Kopernicus configs tech maths, but my guess is Stellarator and TBG use custom C# scripts.

- I have already given you a list of tutorials so that question is pretty much answered. There aren't really any other tutorials out there for Kopernicus, I'm pioneering in this field.

- Add-on Development is the place. You'll have to ask people to join the beta-testing though. Once you're ready to make the jump to releasing your work you can ask a moderator to move the thread to the Add-on Releases area.

12 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

There is, currently, no way to change textures on the go. No matter what you do they'll look similar.

@The White Guardian thanks for the answers, but I think you missed my first one, I was asking if I have 1 set of Textures (e.g. Earth_Height, Earth_Colour and Earth_Normal) could I then use that for multiple planets but have different PQSMods to cause each to look different, say by having different seeds? 

To use a Minecraft example I've seen (can't remember who) it is one 'Planet' but if you generate the world with a different Seed number it is completely different to what is created if you have alternative Seed.

Hope you can see what I'm thinking.

Edited by Pretorian28715

3 hours ago, Pretorian28715 said:

thanks for the answers, but I think you missed my first one,

15 hours ago, The White Guardian said:

- There is, currently, no way to change textures on the go. No matter what you do they'll look similar.

You can indeed change the seed but if you apply a heightmap you'll always get similar terrain unless you set the deformity so low that the heightmap is practically useless.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.