[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

9 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

You can indeed change the seed but if you apply a heightmap you'll always get similar terrain unless you set the deformity so low that the heightmap is practically useless

@The White Guardian Ok, but how different would they be if say the deformity was, say, 1000, 2000, , 4000, 8000 (Ignoring Seed)? and how does the Seed affect if you have the same deformity and different seeds? I have enough planets in my system to test this, but I'm not at home to be able to and I want to get the bodies working first then worry about terrain in a bit. So an understanding of what is happening first would be good.

Edited by Pretorian28715

9 minutes ago, Pretorian28715 said:

@The White Guardian Ok, but how different would they be if say the deformity was, say, 1000, 2000, , 4000, 8000 (Ignoring Seed)? and how does the Seed affect if you have the same deformity and different seeds? I have enough planets in my system to test this, but I'm not at home to be able to and I want to get the bodies working first then worry about terrain in a bit. So an understanding of what is happening first would be good.

Then at that point, why are you even adding a heightmap if you're drowning it out with noise? Adding a heightmap and drowning it out makes it useless, and only adds system strain.

I'm telling you right now - there is NO way to add a heightmap to two different planets and expecting them to look unique. It'd require a custom PQSMod with a very complex algorithm to mash up your heightmap and still have it look good. Basically AI level.

On 5/15/2017 at 8:24 PM, memyselfandI said:

Unfortunately I tried SVE and it crashes KSP. Can't even take a screenshot because of it crashing. Does Eve enhance the terrain, or replace the stock planets?

May I also recommend sci if visual enhancements? 

It adds visuals to all bodies except  bop and gilly plus it is very lightweight 

Ok, so I have released a DEV Kopernicus system, and I have a few things I need to sort.

I keep getting white or black planets - now this (I think) means the path/file name is wrong, but I can't figure which way round, unless it is something else? Plus I'm not at home so can't test it ATM.

The answer is probably in the 74 pages of this thread, but 74 pages, so it'll be quicker to ask.

So this is me asking :D, thanks for any help in advance.

1 hour ago, Pretorian28715 said:

Ok, so I have released a DEV Kopernicus system, and I have a few things I need to sort.

I keep getting white or black planets - now this (I think) means the path/file name is wrong, but I can't figure which way round, unless it is something else? Plus I'm not at home so can't test it ATM.

The answer is probably in the 74 pages of this thread, but 74 pages, so it'll be quicker to ask.

So this is me asking :D, thanks for any help in advance.

Could you pastebin one of the cfg that are giving you problems?

9 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

Could you pastebin one of the cfg that are giving you problems?

Sorry @Sigma88 not sure how to pastebin, please see in spoiler.

Spoiler

@Kopernicus :AFTER[Kopernicus]    
{     
 Body    
 {    
  name =  Bernadette  

flightGlobalsIndex =  502  

Debug   
  {   
   exportMesh = false  
   update = true  
  }   

Template   
  {   
   name =   Tylo 
   removeAllPQSMods = True  
  }   

Properties   
  {   
   radius =   529100 
   geeASL =   0.9982 
   tidallyLocked =   FALSE 
   rotationPeriod =   86400 
   description =   TBC 

ScienceValues   
   {  
    landedDataValue =  8
    splashedDataValue =  7
    flyingLowDataValue =  5
    flyingHighDataValue =  4
    inSpaceLowDataValue =  6
    inSpaceHighDataValue =  4
    recoveryValue =  5
   }  
  }   

Orbit   
  {   
   referenceBody =   White Sun 
   inclination =   0.562 
   eccentricity =   0 
   semiMajorAxis =   112198682112 
   longitudeOfAscendingNode =  0 
   argumentOfPeriapsis =  354.24 
   meanAnomalyAtEpoch =  0.142 
   epoch =  0 
   color =  rgba( 226, 225, 245 ,1)
  }   

ScaledVersion   
  {   
   Material  
   {      
    texture =   TheVerse\PluginData\Earth_Color.dds
    normals =   TheVerse\PluginData\Earth_Normal.dds
   }  
  }   

PQSMods   
  {   

VertexHeightMap  
   }  
    map =  TheVerse\PluginData\Earth_Height.dds
    deformity =  5000
    scaleDeformityByRadius =  FALSE
    offset =  0
    enabled =  TRUE
    order =  10
   }  

VertexHeightNoise  
   }  
    noiseType =  RiggedMultifractal
    deformity =  3000
    frequency =   6
    persistence =  0.2
    lacunarity =  2.5
    octaves =  7
    mode =  Low
    seed =  23690
    enabled =  TRUE
    order =  15
   }  

VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute  
   }  
    deformity =  500
    octaves =  12
    persistence =  0.3
    frequency =  24
    seed =  28715
    enabled =  TRUE
    order =  25
   }  

VertexColorMap  
   {  
    map =  TheVerse\PluginData\Earth_Color.dds
    enabled =  TRUE
    order =  20
   }  

}   

}    
}     

Hi everyone, I released a new Kopernicus Version (1.2.2-6).

It contains the ring shader fixes by blackrack, some fixes for custom lens flares. The custom clock was removed, but we are coming up with something way cooler than that. :)

You can get the new version from Github as always.

I've been getting log spam, I see this has been an issue in the past but haven't seen a resolution. I just tested with the latest Kopernicus version and previous one with the same results. Here is the log, craft, and instructions to repeat. Gamedata has: Squad, Kopernicus, Moduleflightintegrator, MM v2.7.6 (also happened with 2.7.5), and OPM.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaiaxdlday1rnw7/KopSpam.zip?dl=0

Edit: I removed OPM and tried again, this time while in orbit I opened the console window. When focused on the vessel there is no spam, however in map view, either focused on Kerbin or the Mun I am getting a constant flow of errors. Switching back to the vessel stops it, switching to map mode starts it again. This seems to be the simplest stripped down case to reproduce, I hope it helps.

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

7 hours ago, Pretorian28715 said:

Sorry @Sigma88 not sure how to pastebin, please see in spoiler.

to pastebin you go on pastebin.com and paste your stuff there, then share the link the site generates for you

file paths in your cfg must have the forward slash ( / ) in place of the back-slash ( \ )

@Sigma88 ok tried that, still getting either black or white planets. So I must have missed something in the cfg some where. It frustrating as I'm not too sure what all the bits in it are or do, and I don't really have the time to mess around to find out.

Is there a 'this is required you must have it' list anywhere? 

18 minutes ago, Pretorian28715 said:

@Sigma88 ok tried that, still getting either black or white planets. So I must have missed something in the cfg some where. It frustrating as I'm not too sure what all the bits in it are or do, and I don't really have the time to mess around to find out.

Is there a 'this is required you must have it' list anywhere? 

if you share the logs we can take a look and see what is going wrong

make a simple system, add just one planet, and if that doesn't work, click on the nyan cat in my signature and upload all files described in the post you will see.

don't send us logs from overcomplicated installs because they will be ignored

16 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

Hi everyone, I released a new Kopernicus Version (1.2.2-6).

It contains the ring shader fixes by blackrack, some fixes for custom lens flares. The custom clock was removed, but we are coming up with something way cooler than that. :)

You can get the new version from Github as always.

FYI this latest release package is still using Modular Flight Integrator v1.2.2 if I'm reading the version file right, and with the latest release of FAR recently it's been updated to v1.2.4. Also MM is now up to 2.7.6

Edited by Drew Kerman

As a "bad habit Total Commander file verification function user that only read about CKAN but never touched it and installs manually" I already got that last night about old versions in the package, but

• just wanted to finish loading and go
  • was too lazy to post also about this, not serious enough IMHO
  • wanted to sleep later

:cool:

OhioBob did a comparison of how the rings are handled between the latest version and blackracks dll

@blackrack's DLL, innerRadius = 1250, outerRadius = 2250

screenshot4.jpg

Kopernicus 1.2.2-6, innerRadius = 850, outerRadius = 1250

screenshot5.jpg

After much discussion, we have come to the conclusion that something is in fact, messed up in the latest release with rings.

Edited by Galileo

10 hours ago, Galileo said:

OhioBob did a comparison of how the rings are handled between the latest version and blackracks dll

@blackrack's DLL, innerRadius = 1250, outerRadius = 2250

screenshot4.jpg

Kopernicus 1.2.2-6, innerRadius = 850, outerRadius = 1250

screenshot5.jpg

After much discussion, we have come to the conclusion that something is in fact, messed up in the latest release with rings.

Looks like someone modified the ring scale but didn't pass the right parameters to the ring shader.

Looks like for the inner radius it's correct but not the outer one.

I will take a look when I can.

Edited: I think @Thomas P. found the problem and did a commit which fixes it.

Edited by blackrack

On 02/05/2017 at 10:31 AM, Sigma88 said:

I don't know if this has to do with the shader, but since the issue doesn't come up with the standard kopernicus shader I guess it might:

basically, when loading a texture, the old shader reads the diagonal (either topleft>bottomright or bottomlefto>topright)

this means that the old shader works with both horizontal and vertical ring textures

from what I've heard with the new shader it is necessary to use horizontal textures, but most planet packs right now use vertical textures for rings

btw @Sigma88 I just remembered, my original idea for the shader was to have a different front face and backface texture for the ring, so as to be able to have this effect where a faint portion of the rings is only visible from the back and where some sections look different from the back:

front:

750px-8423_20181_1saturn2016.jpg

back:

440px-PIA17172_Saturn_eclipse_mosaic_bri

The idea was to have the shader read the texture in one direction (eg horizontal) and depending on whether it's the front face or the back face use one half or the other of the texture (eg top or bottom), to store both textures in the same file.

In fact I think I put this in the shader code but the alpha value was still being read from the front face texture only so it's like it's not there.

Edited by blackrack

11 minutes ago, blackrack said:

btw @Sigma88 I just remembered, my original idea for the shader was to have a different front face and backface texture for the ring, so as to be able to have this effect were a faint portion of the rings is only visible from the back or similar:

440px-PIA17172_Saturn_eclipse_mosaic_bri

The idea was to have the shader read the texture in one direction (eg horizontal) and depending on whether it's the front face or the back face use one half or the other of the texture (eg top or bottom), to store both textures in the same file.

In fact I think I put this in the shader code but the alpha value was still being read from the front face texture only so it's like it's not there.

I had no idea about this :)  sounds like a good addition

edit: I had misread the post :D the following stuff makes no sense

Spoiler

, but wouldn't it be less memory heavy to use 2 different textures?

if I understood correctly, let's say for a standard ring I use a 1024x4 texture

this means 4096 pixels

now assume for the new shader you specify 2 textures, 1024x4 + 1024x4 = 8192

where, using the vertical and horizontal components of the same texture, you need to use a 1024x1024 texture for a whooping total of 1048576 pixels

am I missing something?

Edited by Sigma88

3 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

I had no idea about this :)

sounds like a good addition, but wouldn't it be less memory heavy to use 2 different textures?

if I understood correctly, let's say for a standard ring I use a 1024x4 texture

this means 4096 pixels

now assume for the new shader you specify 2 textures, 1024x4 + 1024x4 = 8192

where, using the vertical and horizontal components of the same texture, you need to use a 1024x1024 texture for a whooping total of 1048576 pixels

am I missing something?

I think he just means that you have a 1024x8 pixel texture, and the upper 4 pixels are up and the 4 are bottom.

2 different textures would be nice though. Modularity \o/

On 5/22/2017 at 2:20 PM, Waxing_Kibbous said:

I've been getting log spam, I see this has been an issue in the past but haven't seen a resolution. I just tested with the latest Kopernicus version and previous one with the same results. Here is the log, craft, and instructions to repeat. Gamedata has: Squad, Kopernicus, Moduleflightintegrator, MM v2.7.6 (also happened with 2.7.5), and OPM.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaiaxdlday1rnw7/KopSpam.zip?dl=0

Edit: I removed OPM and tried again, this time while in orbit I opened the console window. When focused on the vessel there is no spam, however in map view, either focused on Kerbin or the Mun I am getting a constant flow of errors. Switching back to the vessel stops it, switching to map mode starts it again. This seems to be the simplest stripped down case to reproduce, I hope it helps.

I've been seeing this for a while, are you running Linux? I'm trying to pin down if this is a Linux only issue.

3 minutes ago, frencrs said:

I've been seeing this for a while, are you running Linux? I'm trying to pin down if this is a Linux only issue.

Yep, 64bit Linux. I wonder if this happens on macs as well- if so my very limited experience in these matters tells me it's probably a case mismatch (right term?). As in, one place has "variable" while another has "Variable." Again, I'm no proper coder tho :wink:

10 minutes ago, frencrs said:

1 minute ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Yep, 64bit Linux. I wonder if this happens on macs as well- if so my very limited experience in these matters tells me it's probably a case mismatch (right term?). As in, one place has "variable" while another has "Variable." Again, I'm no proper coder tho :wink:

What packs are you guys running?

1 minute ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

See above, I did one test with OPM and another with no packs at all, only Squad, Kopernicus, Moduleflightintegrator, and MM. Both got spammed.

Oh, without a pack I would assume there wouldn't be a case issue.. weird. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.