[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

On 6/23/2019 at 10:06 PM, ilikeksp said:

What is that planet on the highly elliptical orbit you have in there? Also, do you have this running on the latest version of KSP? Thanks!

I have this running on 1.7.1 but there are some issues I think since many of the mods I'm using haven't been updated past 1.6.1 but I'll see when I dig in further.  In that screenshot you see both Kerbal Origins and Outer Planets Mod.  Kerbal Origins has the comet in an elliptical odd-angled orbit.

On 6/17/2019 at 12:04 PM, Quoniam Kerman said:

If you really want to try, just copy your save file somewhere just in case so you keep an intact file in case it goes wrong.

it will still have problems, solar panels do not work if you update to 1.7.2

Looking for a bit of advice here regarding one of my mods and Kopernicus.

Specifically, the Resonant Orbit Calculator tries to present an image of the planet being planned for.  The mod generates images of each planet the first time the game is run with it installed.  Unfortunately, Kopernicus's caching prevents this from working.  @Gordon Dry suggested the following:

Spoiler

Disable Kopernicus onDemand where you find it:
	%useOnDemand = False
	%useManualMemoryManagement = False

You can create a config file like
GameData\ResonantOrbitCalculator\zz_disable_onDemand.cfg
with this content:

@Kopernicus:FINAL
{
	%useOnDemand = False
}

Delete the files in
GameData\ResonantOrbitCalculator\PluginData\Cache\
then start the game one time.
Get to the Main Menu, wait a minute and then exit the game.
Then rename the config file to
GameData\ResonantOrbitCalculator\zz_disable_onDemand.cfg.off
or delete it.

For a successful creation of the cache images you need at least:

000_ClickThroughBlocker\
001_ToolbarControl\
unBlur.0.5.0.dll 	or whatever the actual version is
CTTP\
EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements\
Kopernicus\
ModularFlightIntegrator\
ResonantOrbitCalculator\
Squad\

plus everything what belongs to the planet pack, like for example for RSS with RSSVE:
KSCSwitcher\
RealSolarSystem\
RSSDateTime\
RSS-Textures\
RSSVE\

The instructions are fine, I'm just a bit concerned about asking a non-technical user to perform all these steps.  I can see huge problems caused by people making mistakes.

I can easily code in something which would check to see if Kopernicus is installed, and if so, if the image files have been created; if not then to write the config file suggested and popup a message to the player telling them to restart the game.

Just looking for some input as to whether this is a good method, or if you would have any other ideas.

Thanks in advance

@Thomas P.

I have a mod called the Resonant Orbit Calculator. It's been working fine, but am now getting some strange results with the current (1.7.1) version.

The mod pregenerates thumbnails of each planet, originally at the main menu, but now at the space center.  In order to do that, if Kopernicus is detected it disables the precaching with a small mm script before a restart of the game.

The script sets the following settings as a FINAL step:

%useOnDemand = False

The results are the same if the options are set manually.

The results are not good at all anymore, seems that something changed with how the planets are created.  The mod uses some which either came from or was based on Kittopia.

See this post for examples of what is happening with the JNSQ mod: 

I'm guessing that I'll have to implement the same ondemand loading as Kittopia, that has been reported to me as working.  If this is true, can you point me to that code?

I haven't had time to look at Kittopia, this was reported to me while streaming last night.

Thanks in advance

Edited by linuxgurugamer

*This is not a "when" question, so I hope its ok*

I was wondering *if* kopernicus will be updated for 1.7.2. I notice that 1.7.3 has already been announced, and it may make sense to just wait for 1.7.3 to come out before updating.

On 6/23/2019 at 7:29 PM, jpinard said:

Has anyone seen this issue before?  Not sure if it is Kopernicus or one of the planet mods I installed?  Notice, the flickering only happens when I'm inside the solar system ring on a flat plane.  Is there anything I can do to fix this?  It's distracting and I need to use that angle quite a bit.

I have the same issue in 1.6.1 Real Solar System Realism Overhaul.

The flickering orbit lines are a stock problem. The game was not meant to expand past the distance of Eeloo, so when planet mods do that, you get jumpy orbit lines.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ doesn’t break the game.

8 hours ago, KerbMav said:

Sssooo ... which version are Twitch Streamers using that play 1.7.2 rescaled? :o

They aren’t. Kopernicus is not updated for 1.7.2. If a streamer has a 1.7.2 version of Kopernicus, they either recompiled it themselves or was entrusted by a dev to test an unreleased version.

26 minutes ago, commanderbunbun said:

Or Delete the Solar Panel script from the config file

Erm...no.

Deleting the ModuleManager(MM) patch for the solar panels will only remove the kopernicus solar panels from the game but this will only "fix" the panels and doesn't cause kopernicus to magically work again.

The kopernicus.dll contains a partmodule for the solar panels which is added to the panels by the MM patch. Since MM and kopernicus will run separately, MM will apply the patch even when the kopernicus.dll isn't present or doesn't load.
An incompatible kopernicus version prevents itself from being loaded into the game and as soon as you try to use a solar panel, KSP will try to load the new partmodule but without the kopernicus.dll, it'll not find any. That's why solar panels don't work when you try to run an incompatible kopernicus version but it doesn't "fix" kopernicus by removing this patch ;)

It's even worse, Kopernicus DLL does load, but then it disables itself. MM can, at some level, tell if Kopernicus is installed or not (I don't know if this capability is used in that particular patch), but it cannot tell if it decided to break itself or not.

If you know how to code, you can fix Kopernicus in 15 minutes, 14 of which is installing MSVC. :) Then again, with 1.7.3 out, it might not be an issue for long (unless, of course, Squad announces 1.7.4 the following day. Which they may).

Edited by Guest

21 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

If you know how to code, you can fix Kopernicus in 15 minutes, 14 of which is installing MSVC

If you think it is so easy, why dont you offer to help @Thomas P.?

Have you watched @Rocketology ?  There are some strange issues holding up the release, these are not 1 minute fixes

Edit:  See message below

Edited by linuxgurugamer

I can't speak for 1.7.3, but I haven't encountered any issues in 1.7.2. I was speaking of making it run at all (in 1.7.2, haven't installed 1.7.3 yet).

A lot of features were introduced in 1.7.3. Might be worth waiting a couple more versions until the next pure bugfix KSP release happens to update Kopernicus.

You should properly fork and name your work, Dragon. Git/github is easier than any VS stuff. It would benefit the people who absolutely need the functionality, and it would benefit this thread by drawing those people away when there are problems. I assume the license is forkable.

16 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

If you think it is so easy, why dont you offer to help @Thomas P.?

Have you watched @Rocketology ?  There are some strange issues holding up the release, these are not 1 minute fixes

I'm sorry, I responded a bit harshly.  I was just reacting to something else, and it spilled out a bit over you.

I have't tried Kopernicus on 1.7.2,nor do I have time to recompile it, etc.  I was basing my remarks off of what @rocketology has said on stream, for details, please go ask him, since I only heard generalities

Quite frankly, recompiling it really is that quick. :) Of course, you're probably not using MSVC, so it might take you a bit longer to set it up in whatever GNU has cooked up for that purpose on Linux. I don't watch streams, so I don't know what was the issue, or even what exactly he's running and on what. I don't feel like diving into the code right now (having fixed the sole problem that was affecting me), but I might look into it at a later date.

1.7.3-1 is out, plus backports and Kittopia.

Apart from recompiling against 1.7.3 it only contains a fix for the barycenter and selectable options, thanks to @Sigma88

Sorry for the long break and skipping one version, but I just had to get a break and do something else for a few days or weeks.

1 minute ago, Thomas P. said:

Apart from recompiling against 1.7.3 it only contains a fix for the barycenter and selectable options, thanks to @Sigma88

Sorry for the long break and skipping one version, but I just had to get a break and do something else for a few days or weeks.

Yeah rl always should come first, but thanks for returning and keeping this cool mod going!

12 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

And Boom goes the dynamite! TY.

21 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

Thank you very much!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.