[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

On 1/5/2020 at 6:49 AM, Galileo said:

The only thing I wasn’t able to do while I was there was take pictures inside the studio. Everything else we experienced has already been put on YouTube, Twitch, here. There wasn’t a whole lot of coverage regarding the terrain, and that may be because, while it looks nice, The others may have been more excited about actual game features and such. Me being me, however, I love planet design and textures, and little things that make the game more immersive. I can say, I saw blades of grass, stones, boulders, sticks, logs and great detail in the terrain on kerbin. The planet textures are generated with a program called substance designer. What it’s capable of is crazy cool. Very dynamic and realistic surfaces can be generated. I’m really excited to explore these new planets and see the views.

it seems adobe release substance designer on steam, worth to check it out

Edited by ssd21345

On 1/4/2020 at 11:49 PM, Galileo said:

The only thing I wasn’t able to do while I was there was take pictures inside the studio. Everything else we experienced has already been put on YouTube, Twitch, here. There wasn’t a whole lot of coverage regarding the terrain, and that may be because, while it looks nice, The others may have been more excited about actual game features and such. Me being me, however, I love planet design and textures, and little things that make the game more immersive. I can say, I saw blades of grass, stones, boulders, sticks, logs and great detail in the terrain on kerbin. The planet textures are generated with a program called substance designer. What it’s capable of is crazy cool. Very dynamic and realistic surfaces can be generated. I’m really excited to explore these new planets and see the views.

Is axial tilt a thing or not in KSP2? 

6 hours ago, alberro+ said:

I have a medium end laptop. Will Kopernicus be too laggy? I intend to also use RSS and RO.

No, it will work fine as long as you don't install too many visual overhauls (a lot of which have RO configs). My low end pc has always handled planet packs fine.

If you have more detailed questions it might be more helpful to ask in the specific planet pack / overhaul thread instead of here

Also, it will be some time until everybody has caught up, why not start with a 1.7 save an have some fun right now :)

8 hours ago, avalancha said:

No, it will work fine as long as you don't install too many visual overhauls (a lot of which have RO configs). My low end pc has always handled planet packs fine.

If you have more detailed questions it might be more helpful to ask in the specific planet pack / overhaul thread instead of here

Also, it will be some time until everybody has caught up, why not start with a 1.7 save an have some fun right now :)

Thanks for the help. I’ll think about starting a new save or maybe just waiting idk.

On 1/11/2020 at 3:27 AM, alberro+ said:

I have a medium end laptop. Will Kopernicus be too laggy? I intend to also use RSS and RO.

Having a beefed up PC doesn't necessary reduce Lag as KSP can only run on one CPU core if I rememer correctly. Plus some other Reasons. At its Core it just still is an Indie Game with Bugs and Stability Issues. Installing many Mods like I do only makes things worse, so if you prefer high Framerates over a diversified Gameplay better keep your Mod Count low. I have a decent Laptop but am very familiar with KSP lagging quite badly while the Laptop isn't even breaking Sweat. 40-50 Mods might be a Reason for that.

Oh yes, and don't install two Planet Packs that both move Eeeloo. It's quite interesting what happens to Eeloo but it definitely has all kinds of Effects on Performance and Stability :D

It was orbiting Sarnus from OPM but with the Parameters from orbiting Sarvin in Kerbol Origins. The Description was also from Kerbol Origins or it kept the stock Description, not sure anymore.

Edited by derbleifuss

I can't remember it well, but I definetly had only one Eeloo with both OPM and Kerbol Origins installed. It depends of mod loading order. Kerbol Origins loads before OPM, so OPM should have priority.  Same goes for mods which move Dress.

Regarding hardware power: I have 8-core\16-thread 3GHz CPU with 32Gb RAM and I use a lot of mods. And by "a lot" I mean batexcrements insane ammount of parts and planets. And a lot of planet packs. My KSP.exe eats up to 25Gb of RAM. I use OPM, Origins, Moho Moons, Dwarf Planets, Planet Cyran and etc. My issue is not RAM or CPU overload. In fact, I tend to run out of video ram - 750ti with 2Gb on-board. It's not very laggy. I have 30-40 fps - it's comfortable for me. But I think that I will need something better as my birthday present or something =)
For me the real killer here is visual overhauls. Scatterer or EVE drop my fps like nothing else.

And current Unity version can use multiple cores. But as far as i can remember, physics simulation can use only one thread for active vessel, and here's the main devil of the game.

9 hours ago, SuppaTenko said:

I can't remember it well, but I definetly had only one Eeloo with both OPM and Kerbol Origins installed. It depends of mod loading order. Kerbol Origins loads before OPM, so OPM should have priority.  Same goes for mods which move Dress.

Regarding hardware power: I have 8-core\16-thread 3GHz CPU with 32Gb RAM and I use a lot of mods. And by "a lot" I mean batexcrements insane ammount of parts and planets. And a lot of planet packs. My KSP.exe eats up to 25Gb of RAM. I use OPM, Origins, Moho Moons, Dwarf Planets, Planet Cyran and etc. My issue is not RAM or CPU overload. In fact, I tend to run out of video ram - 750ti with 2Gb on-board. It's not very laggy. I have 30-40 fps - it's comfortable for me. But I think that I will need something better as my birthday present or something =)
For me the real killer here is visual overhauls. Scatterer or EVE drop my fps like nothing else.

And current Unity version can use multiple cores. But as far as i can remember, physics simulation can use only one thread for active vessel, and here's the main devil of the game.

As I say, only one Eeeloo but a Mixture of OPM and Kerbol Origins Eeloo.

Got an I-7 something (forgot about it) Quad Core, GTX 960M 2GB and uprgraded the RAM to 32 GB on my Laptop. But serious Lag is more Rule than Exception. Guess that Spectra VO had something to do with it (back in 1.7.3). Now I usually have between 12 and 20 FPS. Mod List on my current Installation (not complete): Advanced Fly by Wire, Airplane Plus, Better Time Warp, Bon Voyage, CactEye, Comfortable Landing, Community tech Tree, Contract Configurator, DangIt, Decalcomania, DMagic Orbital Science, Docking Port Alignment Indicator, EVA Struts, EVE, Field Training Facility, Field Training Lab, Final Frontier, Hullcam VDS, Interkosmos, Kerbal Alarm Clock, Kerbal Constructs, KIS/KAS, KPBS, Kraken Science, MechJeb, Near Future Technologies, Persistent Rotation, ResearchBodies, Rover Science, ScanSat, ScienceLabInfo, Snacks, Solar Science, Station Science, Stage Recovery, Stockalike Station Parts, Surface Experiments Package, SVE/SVT, Tarsier Space Tech, Texture Replacer.

These are only the Mods that I picked and installed and not even all of them. Plus of course Dependencies that they brought with them like Community Resource Pack. But still no Kopernicus and thus no OPM and SVE/SVT make little to no Difference. So I am really anticipating 1.9 now because I don't think Kopernicus will be released for 1.8.1 anymore. At least I wouldn't do that if I know there will be just the next Update coming very soon.

Back to Topic/going off Topic again after coming back to the actual Topic of this Kopernicus Thread :D

Dunno why I have this bad Lag if you say it is running fine for you. I always thought that KSP just doesn't get more CPU/GPU/RAM assigned so it doesn't use the full Hardware Potential. But seamingly that is not my Problem. And Spectra VO really needs a lot of everything, SVE/SVT seem to be much better and IMHO even look better :D

Just went to my PC and rechecked.

Origins uses @Properties{description = ... } to define planet's description.
OPM uses standard localisation config #LOC_OPM_Planets_Eeloo_description in separated file. It only has en-us config for stock. So my guess is that you see Origins description because you are from Germany and you play with Germany localization. There are no config for Germany in OPM, so for Eeloo it loads defaul description. But it's only for Eeloo. Nothing alters Sarnus description. It doesn't exist at all, and it loads it from en-us.cfg. And Eeloo's description exists and was rewrited by KO. The problem is priority order. If it's stock planet, and no corresponding localization - it adds stock english description - and it can be changed earlier. If it's new planet - it adds en-us localization from it's mod. Am i right?

If so - you can try and fix it. Go to GameData\OPM\Localization, copy-paste en-us.cfg and rename new file to de.cfg
I think it might work...

1 hour ago, derbleifuss said:

So I am really anticipating 1.9 now because I don't think Kopernicus will be released for 1.8.1 anymore.

Nah... I still hope they will release SOON™. I waited for too long. First - CPU and RAM shipping issues, then 1.8 release and waiting for all mods updates... I hope. I'm realy looking forward to 1.8 release. I haven't realy played KSP since May 'cause my old PC was too laggy. Don't want to go back to 1.7.
Don't mind me. I'm just impatient.

Edited by SuppaTenko
typos and additions

16 hours ago, SuppaTenko said:

the more ram you have the more ram you will use. Just remove 16 and then start the game. Programs will use more ram the more they have. You cannot simply say your games requires a certain amount of ram. Base EVE on its own is not that bad at all. I am using it without scatterer and the performance is excellent. It not nearly as nice looking but 60 fps in ksp is so nice. What I do not get is that you have an 8 core cpu, 32 gigs of ram and are still running a 750ti? What cpu is that?

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

Just remove 16 and then start the game.

...and swap like it's no tomorrow! Woo-hoo! I fully understand how KSP and Unity treat RAM and I have no complains about it. And i certainly will not remove 16 gigs of ram =)

1 hour ago, dave1904 said:

What I do not get is that you have an 8 core cpu, 32 gigs of ram and are still running a 750ti? What cpu is that?

I'm pretty busy guy, and KSP is like the only game that I actually play and have time for. The other things I do is some video editing in Vegas, develop stuff in DipTrace and do some JS and Perl scripting. I don't realy need fast GPU, so it was never top priority. In fact, I built this PC around KSP and Sony Vegas - pretty fast single-core performance+tones of RAM for KSP and lots of high-freq. cores for Vegas rendering. I never knew that VRAM can be a bottleneck here. Clear KSP uses up to 1.2-1.5GB VRAM while playing. Modded KSP uses everything up while it loads - lots of .dds textures from new parts, part revamps and planet packs will kill it pretty fast. The CPU is e5 2687W v2. 

1 hour ago, SuppaTenko said:

...and swap like it's no tomorrow! Woo-hoo! I fully understand how KSP and Unity treat RAM and I have no complains about it. And i certainly will not remove 16 gigs of ram =)

I'm pretty busy guy, and KSP is like the only game that I actually play and have time for. The other things I do is some video editing in Vegas, develop stuff in DipTrace and do some JS and Perl scripting. I don't realy need fast GPU, so it was never top priority. In fact, I built this PC around KSP and Sony Vegas - pretty fast single-core performance+tones of RAM for KSP and lots of high-freq. cores for Vegas rendering. I never knew that VRAM can be a bottleneck here. Clear KSP uses up to 1.2-1.5GB VRAM while playing. Modded KSP uses everything up while it loads - lots of .dds textures from new parts, part revamps and planet packs will kill it pretty fast. The CPU is e5 2687W v2. 

You should upgrade the GPU. I max out 3.5 gbs of vram for reference. 1.8.1 is running excellent for me. 105 mods and FPS are at 60 for normal craft and 40 for 100+ parts. The FPS does drop to 30 when I use the Alcor lander but that mod is to nice to avoid. Your pc is faster than mine in everyway but GPU. I have a 4770K, 16gb and 970 with 3.5gb of ram. I do not know the single core performance difference between the 2 but I think they would be similar. Pick up a second hand GPU if you only play KSP. I am sure there are plenty of 4gbs ones around. 

2 hours ago, dave1904 said:

You should upgrade the GPU. I max out 3.5 gbs of vram for reference. 1.8.1 is running excellent for me. 105 mods and FPS are at 60 for normal craft and 40 for 100+ parts. The FPS does drop to 30 when I use the Alcor lander but that mod is to nice to avoid. Your pc is faster than mine in everyway but GPU. I have a 4770K, 16gb and 970 with 3.5gb of ram. I do not know the single core performance difference between the 2 but I think they would be similar. Pick up a second hand GPU if you only play KSP. I am sure there are plenty of 4gbs ones around. 

In fact, I want something even more 'fat'. I think that I will be able to build Crossfire setup with something like 8Gb and go 4k. But it will wait 'till autumn, i think.

59 minutes ago, infinite_monkey said:

I have a Radeon RX 470 with 8 gigs of RAM (and 32 GB RAM and a Ryzen 5 2600), and it's still only about 17 FPS during launch. In other situations, I can easily get above 120 FPS. Scatterer doesn't seem to make a big difference. But I usually play on Linux, gotta try it on Windows again...

I'd be surprised if it runs better on Windows than Linux. And Scatterer itself seems to make not that much of a Difference but what VO Mod you have installed actually does. Spectra e.g. looks awesome with a few Exceptions but caused serious Lag to me. SVE/SVT seems to be much better, as far as I can judge now without them being at full Function without Kopernicus.

On 1/14/2020 at 4:22 AM, SuppaTenko said:

In fact, I want something even more 'fat'. I think that I will be able to build Crossfire setup with something like 8Gb and go 4k. But it will wait 'till autumn, i think.

Go with 11.  I have 16 gigs ram, and it pushes 90% from the moment I fire up KSP till it closes.  During launch, I use 97% ram as well as VRAM and I'm running a gtx 1080.  My next upgrade will be something with higher vram, because I never max my gpu, but the vram always gets used up. lmao.  I'm using heappadder so that may be part of it, but without it my cpu does 10 times the work, and the ram barely moves....... fps drops to unstable levels and I crash a lot........ 151 mods will do that though. :P  I need to get another 16 gigs ram, but I'm waiting till I can build my new pc.  Will be all around more powerful and I'm planning to oc the cpu to 5ghz lol. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.