[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

3 minutes ago, alberro+ said:

I've never used Kopernicus so go easy on me.If I download, say, JNSQ, what do I do with my old, stock save? Will Kopernicus eliminate or corrupt it?

Yeah.   Especially if you are adding things.  

Also kopernicus will change or add modules for solar panels? So maybe current craft won't work.  Best bet is to only use kopernicus on a fresh save.

Peace.

1 hour ago, alberro+ said:

I've never used Kopernicus so go easy on me.If I download, say, JNSQ, what do I do with my old, stock save? Will Kopernicus eliminate or corrupt it?

If you want to keep the old save to go back to it at a latter time, it should be fine.  Just don't load the old save after installing JNSQ, or whatever.  For the modded installation you should start a new game.  But you can always uninstall whatever planet packs you added and go back to the old save and pick up right where you left off.

5 hours ago, alberro+ said:

Adding to the 2 other replies, make a copy of your entire KSP folder. Install Kopernicus and JNSQ in that 2nd copy. You'll then have 2 completely independent copies of KSP, one with the standard planets and the other with JNSQ planets.

(If you want to use the same mod with both copies you will have to install it twice.)

Edited by DeadJohn

I'm locking in versions with the next kopernicus updated. I haven't played ksp too long and updates come too soon and mods take a while to catch up, squad releases updates wayy too soon and it's ruined the experience for me, so I'm gonna version lock with the next kopernicus update, should be able to have fun in jnsq, rss, beyond home, or any of the lovely mods and planet packs

5 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

I'm locking in versions with the next kopernicus updated. I haven't played ksp too long and updates come too soon and mods take a while to catch up, squad releases updates wayy too soon and it's ruined the experience for me, so I'm gonna version lock with the next kopernicus update, should be able to have fun in jnsq, rss, beyond home, or any of the lovely mods and planet packs

I want to too.  JNSQ and ReStock should limit the 'grass is greener' view of updated part and terrain visuals IMHO.

Peace.

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

I'm still operating regularly on v1.5.1 :P

39 minutes ago, Drew Kerman said:

I'm still operating regularly on v1.5.1 :P

Heh! :D

Aren't RO folks still way back on 1.3?

I used to create splinter versions of KSP dirs based on major game releases. Now they're hinging *entirely* on Kopernicus releases. :)

Edited by Beetlecat

9 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Heh! :D

Aren't RO folks still way back on 1.3?

I used to create splinter versions of KSP dirs based on major game releases. Now they're hinging *entirely* on Kopernicus releases. :)

most RO mods support 1.7.3 (so are RSSVE), so you can just follow the 1.7.3 installation guide on RO wiki

13 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

We all do that. I have personally only played 1.0, 1.2, 1.3.1 1.5.1 and 1.8.1. Its far better like that because every time you wait that long to upgrade all the mods and game have had so much additional content it feels like a new game. Why go to all that hassle for a few minor tweaks? Everytime I update it's like Christmas. I will not stay with 1.8.1 however because it has some minor bugs that are frustrating. 

Grumbles endlessly

So, I installed all the mods that I wanted for 1.8.1. I made sure the install runs while waiting for my planet pack of choice to download (it was really fat), so I didn't have Kopernicus installed yet. So what do I discover? The friggin' thing doesn't support 1.8.1 yet, after I spent several hours debugging things with my other mods, so now I'm stuck with a pack built to end in going interstellar, without having anywhere to go interstellar to...

Just wanted to get it off of my chest.

Continues grumbling

Edited by DestinyPlayer

1 hour ago, DestinyPlayer said:

Just wanted to get it off of my chest.

Continues grumbling

I understand that it must be frustrating to have to wait a long time for such a beloved mod.

Please do try to remember, however, that modding is seriously time-consuming, thankless work that requires many, many hours of tedious work by modders, who are doing this as a labor of love in their scarce free time, unpaid, in order to give us all shiny toys for free. To have any mod at all, regardless of when it arrives, is a generous gift from them, and deserving of our gratitude. If it's taking a long time, that's simply because it's a hard and time-consuming job.

So please try to be mindful of that. I realize you're probably just trying to express how eagerly you're waiting for the generous gift of a free shiny toy... but it can come across as complaining about things taking so long, which would be an inappropriate way of thanking folks who owe you nothing but are nevertheless working hard on your behalf, for free, asking nothing in return. ;)

31 minutes ago, Snark said:

I understand that it must be frustrating to have to wait a long time for such a beloved mod.

Please do try to remember, however, that modding is seriously time-consuming, thankless work that requires many, many hours of tedious work by modders, who are doing this as a labor of love in their scarce free time, unpaid, in order to give us all shiny toys for free. To have any mod at all, regardless of when it arrives, is a generous gift from them, and deserving of our gratitude. If it's taking a long time, that's simply because it's a hard and time-consuming job.

So please try to be mindful of that. I realize you're probably just trying to express how eagerly you're waiting for the generous gift of a free shiny toy... but it can come across as complaining about things taking so long, which would be an inappropriate way of thanking folks who owe you nothing but are nevertheless working hard on your behalf, for free, asking nothing in return. ;)

Oh, I wasn't actually complaining about Kopernicus taking too long. I can wait, and I also perfectly understand just how much effort and energy is required for modding. As an amateur writer, I know that even just putting words on the screen is often times difficult enough.

No, my main complaint was about me spending so much time debugging a modded install of KSP, and only then discovering that Kopernicus isn't yet updated, so now I'm stuck with either backporting and doing all of that all over again, or playing without Kopernicus.

More of a "laugh at my misfortune and poor observational skills" complaint than a "please update soon" complaint, I guess.

Edited by DestinyPlayer

14 minutes ago, DestinyPlayer said:

Oh, I wasn't actually complaining about Kopernicus taking too long. I can wait, and I also perfectly understand just how much effort and energy is required for modding. As an amateur writer, I know that even just putting words on the screen is often times difficult enough.

No, my main complaint was about me spending so much time debugging a modded install of KSP, and only then discovering that Kopernicus isn't yet updated, so now I'm stuck with either backporting and doing all of that all over again, or playing without Kopernicus.

More of a "laugh at my misfortune and poor observational skills" complaint than a "please update soon" complaint, I guess.

Just copy the install you were setting up and save it for when Kopernicus drops. That way, it should be as easy as dropping Kopernicus, and your choice of planet pack in.

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

Sounds like sadina was suggesting that *Squad* buy this, or hire the Kop team, to somehow make it an official Squad-sanctioned DLC... not for the Kop Team to go start charging $$ for it themselves...
But yeah, profit-motivated mod content... not sure that would be a good idea... it hasnt proven successful in the past, *other* than when Squad seems to officially hire mod devs... vOv

What would squad do with kopernicus? It doesn't add anything and is only a dependancy right? It's the planet mods that players actually see even though kopernicus is making them possible. 

That being said I would love it if someone explained to me what kopernicus actually does. Why is adding planets so difficult? What does kopernicus do that the stock game does not? Any posts about it somewhere because I would love to learn more.

Edit: I found an explanation on github.  

Edited by dave1904

22 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

That being said I would love it if someone explained to me what kopernicus actually does. Why is adding planets so difficult? What does kopernicus do that the stock game does not? Any posts about it somewhere because I would love to learn more.

basically we need to hyjack the stock process of generating planets and introduce the informations we need to generate new planets.

we also have to find workarounds for the various assumptions squad takes for stock for example:

- the sun is the only light source

- the sun is the center of the universe

- kerbin is the home planet

- kerbin orbits the sun

- 1 atmosphere is the pressure at sea level of the home planet

and so on...

we also add some extra features, like:

- HazardousBody

- Rings

- Colliders for the terrain scatter

and so on...

all this is done without any documentation about how stock ksp works, so it's mostly trial and error to understand what a certain process does and then try to do something similar. Most parameters have pretty clear names (like semiMajorAxis, radius, etc...) but some other are more cryptic and it takes a lot of time to understand what they are used for

20 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

basically we need to hyjack the stock process of generating planets and introduce the informations we need to generate new planets.

we also have to find workarounds for the various assumptions squad takes for stock for example:

- the sun is the only light source

- the sun is the center of the universe

- kerbin is the home planet

- kerbin orbits the sun

- 1 atmosphere is the pressure at sea level of the home planet

and so on...

we also add some extra features, like:

- HazardousBody

- Rings

- Colliders for the terrain scatter

and so on...

all this is done without any documentation about how stock ksp works, so it's mostly trial and error to understand what a certain process does and then try to do something similar. Most parameters have pretty clear names (like semiMajorAxis, radius, etc...) but some other are more cryptic and it takes a lot of time to understand what they are used for

Could squad not make life a bit easier for you and give you tools or something to make the process a bit simpler? I simply do not understand why squad avoids adding planets in dlcs or updates anyway. No new planets in 6 years is kind of strange considering the amount of updates are being added. 

I honestly would prefer an expanded kerbin system with 20 new bodies and axial tilt in ksp2 over new star systems. What is the point in having 20 tiny systems anyway. I hate being critical of squad but the stock system is just boring. Thanks to you guys with the rings opm with Uranus, Saturn and Neptune is more interesting than the entire kerbin system. It might not be the thread for it but imo things this mod makes possible should be a higher priority than new textures for the planets but I feel a bit like a jerk complaining since the game has been released in 2016. I do not know I just think its a bit odd to release eeloo then then never a planet again. 

28 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

you could say the same about planet packs without kopernicus :D

Absolutely.  Planet packs can't exist without Kopernicus, and Kopernicus has no purpose without planet packs.  It is a symbiotic relationship.

17 hours ago, dave1904 said:

I honestly would prefer an expanded kerbin system with 20 new bodies and axial tilt in ksp2 over new star systems

To be perfectly honest, too, in two years of playing KSP, I have never landed anywhere outside Kerbin's SOI. I send probes on their way but often restart the career before they had a chance to reach their destination.

It just takes too long to go to Duna :D I use Kopernicus to spawn asteroids near Kerbin.

Edited by HansAcker

1 hour ago, eberkain said:

I would be happty

I was actually looking for your patreon to and another $1-2 to my monthly. 

Thank you for the thought, however I don't have a patreon.

I am not comfortable getting monthly donations.

Donations should be considered "thank-you"s for stuff you aready received from me rather than support for my current or future modding endeavours.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.