[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

19 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Google Sheets

I've actually had problems using google sheets with the atmosphere spreadsheet in the past. It's indeed possible that I was just being dumb however. That's why I use Excel online for it.

16 minutes ago, AndrewDraws said:

I've actually had problems using google sheets with the atmosphere spreadsheet in the past. It's indeed possible that I was just being dumb however. That's why I use Excel online for it.

Oh hmm I use it exclusively and haven’t had any issues with it. 

6 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

I don't have msoffice

There is always open office. I wish everyone used it. Same functionality, for free, but has some issues sometimes converting between open office and me office formats. Forcing the use of ms office in some cases simply because others use ms office, and it is the "standard".

6 hours ago, KerikBalm said:

There is always open office. I wish everyone used it. Same functionality, for free, but has some issues sometimes converting between open office and me office formats. Forcing the use of ms office in some cases simply because others use ms office, and it is the "standard".

These days it's probably better to use LibreOffice, because OpenOffice has sort of been abandoned. At least from what I remember.

I will second LibreOffice.  OpenOffice is done. 

Haven't run across a single thing that LibreOffice can't do that MS Office can.  I know of one, but it is a limitation I will never hit and that is in a spreadsheet.  LibreOffice is limited to 32767x32767 rows and columns and Excel can do double that at over 65,000.  Personally, if you are into a spreadsheet half the size that LibreOffice can do, you are long since due for moving to a database.

Edited by xman1

6 hours ago, xman1 said:

I will second LibreOffice.  OpenOffice is done. 

Haven't run across a single thing that LibreOffice can't do that MS Office can.  I know of one, but it is a limitation I will never hit and that is in a spreadsheet.  LibreOffice is limited to 32767x32767 rows and columns and Excel can do double that at over 65,000.  Personally, if you are into a spreadsheet half the size that LibreOffice can do, you are long since due for moving to a database.

Don't forget VBA Script support. LibreOffice Calc can have problems with MS Office VBA scripts - syntax differences, some different operators etc.
Libreoffice Basic can be tricky. I once wrote special macro-enabled spreadsheet. It automaticaly imported data from certain vendor's monthly packing list, then imported data from .mxl warehouse table by serial number and then it formуed stickers according to the template and send it to thermal printer via COM port. Worked like charm in Excel. Never worked at all in LO/OO

On 2/2/2020 at 4:12 AM, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

I have no idea what Im doing but I can actually try to make a planet now...

it's always a good idea to know what and why you do the things you do for making planets

if you don't understand something it's always better to ask rather than just plop it in there and call it a day

Hello, everyone! I and @cwongmath are the maintainers and main authors of the current (and hopefully final) iteration of the Official Kopernicus Wiki. Currently we have every one of the main nodes except for PQS as well as 5 or 6 PQSMods, HazardousBody, and a few more things. To speed things up, we welcome community contributions (which have been sparse so far). If anyone has any knowledge on any PQSMods or sees room for improvement, please please please make a PR and try to lend a hand. We do have some general stylistic guidelines which I will try to bang together into a nice readme over the next few days, but it boils down to a few things:

1. Use a proper code editor (Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code w/ mdlint are preferred)
  2. Use a git client. NO WEB EDITOR.
  3. Spaces, not tabs. 2 spaces per indent.
  4. Each page shall consist of a Title, example config (see existing pages for what the structure should be), and a table containing all field names, the associated datatype, and a description of what it is/does. The Kopernicus source code is your best friend here.
  5. If in doubt, copy/paste an existing page and change everything around.

Don't worry if you cant do a whole page or if you arent sure if the formatting is perfect. As long as we can tell you put effort in, we will make up the difference. 

To start off, fork this repo, make the changes, and make a PR to kopernicuswiki/dev (to be created soon) and we will take it from there. I am available for questions/clarification both here and on Discord as DeltaBoлk#6973. I hope to hear from some of you soon and happy worldbuilding!

Edited by DeltaDizzy

17 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

it's always a good idea to know what and why you do the things you do for making planets

if you don't understand something it's always better to ask rather than just plop it in there and call it a day

There is a lot I don't understand. The problem is not that I don't want to ask questions, it's that nobody wants to answer them, or at least provide a decent alternative.

For instance, I want to create planet height and color maps without breaking my spine, but because Gameslinx uploaded a video where he made a single one in paint after a lot more effort than is probably necessary and then cheated by using After Effects to make the color maps (which everyone says can be done via PQSmods but of course no one says how), everyone avoids the topic and just tells me to splash a bunch of white on a bunch of black and then make a lucky guess with PQSmods or color curves all of which I have tried to do long enough to say that it doesn't work very well, at least if you're inexperienced and artistically challenged like me. I have been searching for years for a resource that can help calculate those dreadful atmosphere curves, one of the biggest blocks I've had to overcome with planet creating. Now I have to tackle PQS and finalizing the way Kopernicus reads the config to convince it to actually spawn the planet, which is a whole different beast in of itself.

Also the last comment is the first I've heard of a recently maintained wiki other than the scattered, morbidly outdated resources I usually find when I search for help with Kopernicus. I found it after some digging and will browse through it later.

Edited by Autolyzed Yeast Extract

2 hours ago, Galileo said:

The OP will be updated when Thomas has time. For now, just make your way to the GitHub release page and find the new update for 1.8.1 there.

thank you @Sigma88 

thank you @Thomas P.

Many thanks to everyone who is contributing to maintain this wonderful mod.

I’m gonna try it this evening :)

Edited by Aodhan

2 hours ago, Autolyzed Yeast Extract said:

There is a lot I don't understand. The problem is not that I don't want to ask questions, it's that nobody wants to answer them, or at least provide a decent alternative.

For instance, I want to create planet height and color maps without breaking my spine, but because Gameslinx uploaded a video where he made a single one in paint after a lot more effort than is probably necessary and then cheated by using After Effects to make the color maps (which everyone says can be done via PQSmods but of course no one says how), everyone avoids the topic and just tells me to splash a bunch of white on a bunch of black and then make a lucky guess with PQSmods or color curves all of which I have tried to do long enough to say that it doesn't work very well, at least if you're inexperienced and artistically challenged like me. I have been searching for years for a resource that can help calculate those dreadful atmosphere curves, one of the biggest blocks I've had to overcome with planet creating. Now I have to tackle PQS and finalizing the way Kopernicus reads the config to convince it to actually spawn the planet, which is a whole different beast in of itself.

Also the last comment is the first I've heard of a recently maintained wiki other than the scattered, morbidly outdated resources I usually find when I search for help with Kopernicus. I found it after some digging and will browse through it later.

Where have you been asking? Most of us on the kopernicus discord are happy to help.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.