[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

10 hours ago, TheProtagonists said:

Is there any detailed documentation or explanation on how exactly the numbers of longitude range, latitude range, latitude double and altitude range in land classes works?

After inspecting a lot of configs it's still voodoo magic to me...

there is no documentation, the best way to see what's going on is to use KittopiaTech and bright colors (so that it's easier to see which zones are which)

14 minutes ago, TheProtagonists said:

by colors you mean the color key in each land class, not the noiseColor, is this correct?

yeah, in kittopia you can change all those parameters

what I usually do is:

tweak the settings so that the noise is not a factor (can't remember which one it was)

tweak the settings so that the color is completely visible and not merged with the colors in the background

set the colors of each class to a very bright and recognizeable color (red, green, blue, yellow, cyan, magenta ....)

tweak the longitude/latitude/altitude parameters untill I get the result I want

finally fix all the previous settings that I changed and set the correct colors for the planet

12 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

I could use a bit of help - how do I edit planets?

Specifically, I want to write a module manager patch to add a shallow, dense atmosphere around the Mun. Just in the craters, like swimming pools almost

I'm on Mac if it matters

I don't think there's anyway to do that.  You can't just have an air in the bottom of the craters.  For instance, you can't have air in the bottom of a crater at 2,000 meters elevation without having an atmosphere everywhere below 2,000 meters.

Edited by OhioBob

I've been having a load of errors being thrown on startup in both New Horizons and GPP, I'm troubleshooting my heavily modded save now, but in the mean time, does anyone know what they mean?

[WRN 20:17:01.582] Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Niven(Clone)'
[WRN 20:17:01.588] CelestialBodyTransform: Cannot find CelestialBody.
[WRN 20:17:40.037] DontDestroyOnLoad only work for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.

42 minutes ago, MinimumSky5 said:

I've been having a load of errors being thrown on startup in both New Horizons and GPP, I'm troubleshooting my heavily modded save now, but in the mean time, does anyone know what they mean?

[WRN 20:17:01.582] Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'Niven(Clone)'
[WRN 20:17:01.588] CelestialBodyTransform: Cannot find CelestialBody.
[WRN 20:17:40.037] DontDestroyOnLoad only work for root GameObjects or components on root GameObjects.

Install GPP_Secondary (in GPP's optional addons). New Horizons keeps and rearranges some stock planets but breaks because GPP deletes them all first.

Hold on, I re-read my comment, and it was a but muddled. What i meant to say was the i tried to use only New Horizons, the game threw those errors, so i got rid of it and tried using only GPP, but had the same issue. Sorry, i should have been more clear!

On 11/19/2017 at 10:41 PM, OhioBob said:

I don't think there's anyway to do that.  You can't just have an air in the bottom of the craters.  For instance, you can't have air in the bottom of a crater at 2,000 meters elevation without having an atmosphere everywhere below 2,000 meters.

Oh, that's what I meant. Sorry I was unclear

How do you do that?

2 hours ago, Fireheart318 said:

Oh, that's what I meant. Sorry I was unclear

How do you do that?

You have to write a Kopernicus config that adds an atmosphere node to Mun with all the appropriate temperature and pressure curves.  Of course first you have to understand what the curves are, what they do, and how to write them.  This article explains in detail each curve:

I would recommend for any atmosphere that you at least write the curves:

• temperatureCurve
  • temperatureSunMultCurve
  • temperatureLatitudeBiasCurve
  • temperatureLatitudeSunMultCurve
  • pressureCurve

The others aren't as important, you can do without them.

44 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

You have to write a Kopernicus config that adds an atmosphere node to Mun with all the appropriate temperature and pressure curves.  Of course first you have to understand what the curves are, what they do, and how to write them.  This article explains in detail each curve:

That's AWESOME, but what if I just want to dump some extremely thick gas on the Mun and jump from crater to crater like a space dolphin?

Do I really have to write the temperature and stuff, or just the pressure curve?

34 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

That's AWESOME, but what if I just want to dump some extremely thick gas on the Mun and jump from crater to crater like a space dolphin?

Do I really have to write the temperature and stuff, or just the pressure curve?

Temperature is needed to compute the air density.  You're going to at least need temperatureCurve, of course you can just give it a constant value if you want.  You can do something like this:

temperatureCurve
			{
				key = 0 250 0 0		// give it whatever temperature you want
				key = 3500 250 0 0	// change altitude to match the height of atmosphere you want
			}

9 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

@OhioBob This didn't work. What did I do wrong?

https://pastebin.com/SMvkeEg2

In addition to temperatuerCurve, you're going to need atmosphereMolarMass.  That might be enough to make it work.  If not we'll have to figure out what else is missing.

You might also need adiabaticIndex (used to compute speed of sound).  Try this:

atmosphereMolarMass = 0.029
adiabaticIndex = 1.4

Edited by OhioBob

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Is it not working or are you expecting to see the atmosphere?

Ummm... define see

If you mean having it show up when I view the stats in the satellite thing (can't remember the name the ONE TIME I need it). "Atmosphere: No" right now

I don't care if I can see the actual gas, but if I could, I want it to be green

Edited by Fireheart318

2 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

Ummm... define see

If you mean having it show up when I view the stats in the satellite thing (can't remember the name the ONE TIME I need it). "Atmosphere: No" right now

I don't care if I can see the actual gas, but if I could, I want it to be green

The stuff you see in the information panel is read from a separate set of parameters (it doesn't get the data from the curves).  You'll need to add this:

temperatureSeaLevel = 250
staticPressureASL = 101.325

The best way to know if it's working is to land a probe there and see what happens.

You can add color using lightColor, but it's not very intuitive.  It is a wavelength that uses a weird inverse function.  The best way to get the color you want is to use KittopiaTech.

6 minutes ago, Fireheart318 said:

@OhioBob Still not working. Here's what I've got now. I changed Atmosphere to @Atmosphere at one point. I'll try changing it back after I test this plane real quick

Mun doesn't have an atmosphere, so you shouldn't need the @.  That's used when you're changing something that already exists.

It looks to me like it ought to work.  Maybe it needs temperatureSunMultCurve.  Try adding this:

temperatureSunMultCurve
			{
				key = 0 1 0 0
				key = 3500 1 0 0
			}

Also, change "maxAltitude" to just "altitude".  I think those can be used interchangeably, but maybe not.

The next logical step, guys, is to have someone make a new Mun texture where the crater basins are at sea level but the majority of the terrain is far above sea level, ensuring that the atmosphere is only reachable in those craters. :wink: 

Edited by JadeOfMaar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.