[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

2 hours ago, Milvus said:

some years ago, steam wanted to give the possibility, to pay modders. it would have been a way to finance modders and have a professional work. but the community was against it..

You mean *Squad*?...

2 hours ago, Milvus said:

I would like to thank the modders for the work they do for free

YES.. *ALWAYS*.. :D

2 hours ago, Fly Angry said:

Pretty sure Squad has their hands full with a tonne of bugs as is without taking on the community's mods. It'll get done when it's done, we can continue to be patient.

It wasnt so much this...
Squad actually *hired* quite a few mod devs. Some have come and gone... a few *are still Squad devs, who were originally just modders, all on their own*... I know *some* mod devs *have* actually been approached with offers by Squad, and have turned them down. (They seem to have *other*, betting paying jobs)... :P

While mostly not verbatim, but at least functionally, *MANY* of Squad's improvements/added functionality thru the long years, have actually come from mod's created by modders. (Thats one reason why I dont understand the whole fanatical, against mods, stock-only crowd... but thats for another thread)

So as much as people may bash Squad, (sometimes for good reason...sometimes *not*), at least Squad has been really good about adding "not-profesional" mod devs to their team, as well as sneaking in and basically adding mods to the stock game... So they *are* listening to and watching the community... Not always *what* we want, or *how* we want it... but *Sometimes™* they get it right.

2 hours ago, Fly Angry said:

For what it's worth though, I'd love to see KSP2 include a system / body scaling option by default. Would be super handy.

Heh... I'm not so sure the Kopernicus Team wouldnt mind seeing this either... as it would mean they could stop having to do soooo much work providing us Kop, and either give them moar time to provide *Other Stuff™ *, or moar actual *playing* time for themselves... :P

36 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

According to mod makers here, they are not.

Thats a pretty harsh statement. I know *some* mod devs feel that way completely, but I think most only feel that way *sometimes*... depending on what stoopid thing Squad does/doesnt do at the time. I think most, while maybe being vocal when Squad *doesnt* get it right, I think they do generally, always know that Squad is, after all, an independent and relatively young, small startup, so of course they cant be expected be as professional, or on equal footing as *top-level* game developers.
I'll give kudos to Squad, for at least (seemingly), trying to make up this known shortcoming, by trying to bring in other expereinced game developers/publishers thru the years. It hasnt always gone well, (ie the fiasco with, IIRC, Flying Tiger, to port over to console), and maybe some dont like that they got in bed with T2... But I dont think it has all been about the added $$ of doing so... I think they also knew/know that they need that extra experience/knowledge, as well.
I dont know what will happen with Squad, now that StarTheory is involved by dev'ing KSP 2 seperately tho... vOv

Anyways, all good points... I know I've gone on quite a bit, and am guilty of starting a derail, but lets try to get back on topic. vOv
(Moderators (or anyone on the Kop Team) feel free to edit or delete this post for that)

Just stopped by for my regularly scheduled obsessive checking and saw 1.73-2 in the header.  I shall now step away from the computer, cry just a little bit, and continue my waiting.

It's cool, totally manly crying.  A little shoulder heave as I wipe a way the single tear of pure Louisiana Red Dot Tabasco sauce running down my cheek.  On a more serious note, thank you to the whole team for the dedication you show to this community and the mods that take KSP to the next level; after reading the Discord I'm really looking forward to the hostile body mechanics and (potentially) roasting or freezing several of our intrepid Kerbal explorers on hostile planets and/or muns.

2 hours ago, Rik said:

Just stopped by for my regularly scheduled obsessive checking and saw 1.73-2 in the header.  I shall now step away from the computer, cry just a little bit, and continue my waiting.

It's cool, totally manly crying.  A little shoulder heave as I wipe a way the single tear of pure Louisiana Red Dot Tabasco sauce running down my cheek.  On a more serious note, thank you to the whole team for the dedication you show to this community and the mods that take KSP to the next level; after reading the Discord I'm really looking forward to the hostile body mechanics and (potentially) roasting or freezing several of our intrepid Kerbal explorers on hostile planets and/or muns.

I believe the 1.8 branch has been merged though. Inevitably we will have it and when we do it will be amazing considering the unity update and underlying changes made to Kopernicus. 

Edited by Alvi
Spelling error

1 hour ago, The-Doctor said:

With the announcement of 1.9 coming soon, will the team hold on releasing for 1.8.1 and instead update for 1.9?

Even tho, technically, 1.9 is due in just 5 *days*, it can be *anytime*...
i highly doubt the Kop team would purposefully wait on 1.9, to drop a 1.8.1 Kop version... They have said they are *Close™*... If 1.9 happens to drop before they get a 1.8.1 version out, I'm sure its not on purpose... just a matter of timing, happening that way

Edited by Stone Blue

2 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

i highly doubt the Kop team would purposefully wait on 1.9, to drop a 1.8.1 Kop version... They have said they are *Close™*... If 1.9 happens to drop before they get a 1.8.1 version out, I'm sure its not on purpose... just a matter of timing, happening that way

Where was that *5* day announcement? 

It's based on the "once every three months" schedule Squad announced some time ago. Given their record sticking to it so far, I'd say it's more than 5 days, though. 

4 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

It's based on the "once every three months" schedule Squad announced some time ago. Given their record sticking to it so far, I'd say it's more than 5 days, though. 

Exactly this ^^^
 1.8.1 dropped on Oct 29... Jan 29 would be 3 mos exactly. So we are coming well within range of a 1.9.0 release, without a Kop 1.8.1 release yet.
But yeah, we know KSP updates do not drop *exactly* on that timetable, hence why I said *technically* ;)

TBH, you should probably be counting from 1.8.0, seeing as Squad counted time between major releases (and 1.7.3, confusingly). By that measure, they're already more than a week late, IIRC.

17 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

OR

we could wait for KSP 1.9 to drop  Kopernicus 1.8.1-1 in order to maintain the tradition of being 1 version behind :D 

5 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

It doesn't look like 1.9.0 is bringing anything in that would require more than a recompile, so that update should be quick. 

Except for the shader changes on Kerbin again. Probably won’t be just a recompile, unfortunately.

24 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Except for the shader changes on Kerbin again. Probably won’t be just a recompile, unfortunately.

Are you aware that they are changing the API specifically due to the new changes being made to Kerbin, rather than just using the exisiting implementation of the shaders to improve Kerbin as per the rest of the revamped bodies?

14 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Are you aware that they are changing the API specifically due to the new changes being made to Kerbin, rather than just using the exisiting implementation of the shaders to improve Kerbin as per the rest of the revamped bodies?

I was not, but that sounds like even more of a headache.

1 minute ago, Galileo said:

I was not, but that sounds like even more of a headache.

Oh, I was asking if you were aware of any API changes being made as I am not currently aware of any information to that regard. If there are no API changes, then that would indicate that Dragon01's assumption would be more towards correct than false... but as always, we will have to wait and see.

4 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Oh, I was asking if you were aware of any API changes being made as I am not currently aware of any information to that regard. If there are no API changes, then that would indicate that Dragon01's assumption would be more towards correct than false... but as always, we will have to wait and see.

Something has to be changing, though, to allow for regional terrain textures to happen. 

best case scenario, it’s already it’s already a feature of the new shader, but unused in stock. 

2 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Something has to be changing, though, to allow for regional terrain textures to happen. 

Oh, yeah, that skipped my mind. Very true... well, if that is the case then hopefully something IS changing to allow for that easily as its a really desired feature I guess.

On 1/23/2020 at 3:26 PM, Stone Blue said:

Thats one reason why I dont understand the whole fanatical, against mods, stock-only crowd... but thats for another thread

Well, one thing about stock only is that it is a common reference, for sharing designs with the community. I often see some craft or missions done with modded parts, and I really don't know how to judge what I'm seeing because I don't know the stats of the parts in use, and I don't know how to apply it to my game.

Often, Kopernicus and its dependent mods are the only mods I use (other than scatterer), so my stock craft are used on modded worlds.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.