[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

Help please:

i can't get my procedural moons to be the same from close up and from distance. I've read and watched lots of tutorials, but they do things differently, so it's confusing. Also, downloaded some planets packs and tried some reverse engineering, but with limited success.

I guess i don't understand relations between height maps, normal maps and all the stuff in the PQS section of the cfg.

Let's say i wan't to make small moon, perfectly flat surface,  with only one mountain near equator. Is that possible, and how?

29 minutes ago, GagaX said:

Help please:

i can't get my procedural moons to be the same from close up and from distance. I've read and watched lots of tutorials, but they do things differently, so it's confusing. Also, downloaded some planets packs and tried some reverse engineering, but with limited success.

I guess i don't understand relations between height maps, normal maps and all the stuff in the PQS section of the cfg.

Let's say i wan't to make small moon, perfectly flat surface,  with only one mountain near equator. Is that possible, and how?

the PQS section is what determines the shape of the planet, the colormap and normal map are used as "placeholders" when looking the planet from far apart

the best way to make sure are seeing what your planet actually is, is to use kittopiatech to export textures. when you update the textures you'll see what your planet actually looks like.

@The White Guardian tutorials are a good place to start for this kind of stuff, also you need a lot of patience

no...

you need A LOT of patience, making planets is an excruciating process of trial and error and if you want a good result you need to be ready to sink hours and hours in the process

I understand that color map and normal map are used for scaled version of a planet. Although, normal map seems to do nothing, planet always looks the same. I tried .png, .dds, with and without normal map filter.

Even if I get it to work, how can i get close up geography to align with the scaled version?

If someone could explain how to make flat planet with one mountain, that would clear up a lot of confusion, at least for me.

46 minutes ago, GagaX said:

I understand that color map and normal map are used for scaled version of a planet. Although, normal map seems to do nothing, planet always looks the same. I tried .png, .dds, with and without normal map filter.

Even if I get it to work, how can i get close up geography to align with the scaled version?

If someone could explain how to make flat planet with one mountain, that would clear up a lot of confusion, at least for me.

you don't ever make the pqs fit the scaled version.

you build the PQS and export the scaled version that matches it.

you never have to worry about textures since kittopiatech can export them for you

and for PQS modification TWG's tutorials are probably your best place to start with

22 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

you don't ever make the pqs fit the scaled version.

you build the PQS and export the scaled version that matches it.

you never have to worry about textures since kittopiatech can export them for you

and for PQS modification TWG's tutorials are probably your best place to start with

Thanks, that was very helpful.

@Thomas P. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but Kopernicus 1.2.2-2 is bugged.

I was trying to move the unzipped file into my flash drive folder, but the computer refused to transfer the whole thing. It seems to be because it found something wrong with one of the module manager files and was trying to "anti-virus" it. That part of the file was left on my computer, and I can't even delete it.

1 minute ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

@Thomas P. I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but Kopernicus 1.2.2-2 is bugged.

I was trying to move the unzipped file into my flash drive folder, but the computer refused to transfer the whole thing. It seems to be because it found something wrong with one of the module manager files and was trying to "anti-virus" it. That part of the file was left on my computer, and I can't even delete it.

How is Kopernicus bugged if your antivirus goes crazy?

There are a lot of mods whose DLLs trigger antivirus packages with "moderate risk" tags, not just this one.  Must be some general class of code pattern in there.  You need to keep a careful eye on the antivirus when installing so you can override - or disable while updating mods.

6 minutes ago, Thomas P. said:

How is Kopernicus bugged if your antivirus goes crazy?

...Honestly, I don't know how to answer that question. But the antivirus was activated by one of the module manager files in the main Kopernicus file, which has never happened before.

5 minutes ago, The White Guardian said:

@ProtoJeb21 I second this. That's not a Kopernicus problem but an antivirus issue.

And what do you mean by 'can't delete it'?

My computer claims that the file "Kopernicus.1.2.2-2" is open in anoth---

Wait a minute, I just deleted it! Hm. Interesting.

EDIT: I'm going to try something new - I'll transfer the zip file to another computer, extract it, and transfer it again. So far the zip file has made it to the flashdrive without triggering any antivirus, so I think this'll work.

Edited by ProtoJeb21

18 minutes ago, ProtoJeb21 said:

My computer claims that the file "Kopernicus.1.2.2-2" is open in anoth---

Wait a minute, I just deleted it! Hm. Interesting.

Computer stupidity in a shellnut. Recently I tried to play Steam offline, but it wouldn't let me start Steam offline for some reason, it kept giving me the options to cancel my login attempt or to retry logging because 'Steam was having trouble connecting with the Steam servers'. Maybe that's because my PC was offline, Steam!

Anyhow, that happens occasionally. In that case a PC restart should definitely fix it all because that restarts the file managing system, meaning that it cannot be opened by another program. So whenever that happens, don't be scared.

When using flightGlobalsIndex in my cfgs,  should I make my home world the earliest number in the order?  For example,  should kerbin be 1 followed by mun as 2 etc..  or does it matter? If I make it the fourth number in the order,  does that effect contracts or anything else?  I'm getting some "bug reports"  regarding contracts popping up in early career for the wrong planets. Basically, its the equivalent of "go explore Eve"  before even getting into Kerbin orbit. 

I know I should remove the flightGlobalsIndex number from the cfgs but I really don't want to destroy everyone's careers lol...  But I will if I have to 

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

When using flightGlobalsIndex in my cfgs,  should I make my home world the earliest number in the order?  For example,  should kerbin be 1 followed by mun as 2 etc..  or does it matter? If I make it the fourth number in the order,  does that effect contracts or anything else?  I'm getting some "bug reports"  regarding contracts popping up in early career for the wrong planets. Basically, its the equivalent of "go explore Eve"  before even getting into Kerbin orbit. 

I know I should remove the flightGlobalsIndex number from the cfgs but I really don't want to destroy everyone's careers lol...  But I will if I have to 

Stock kerbin is 1, mun 2 and minmus 3

But I don't think contracts are hardcoded to look for those numbers

I think they look for the home planet, its moons and then other planets in the system

Just now, Sigma88 said:

Stock kerbin is 1, mun 2 and minmus 3

But I don't think contracts are hardcoded to look for those numbers

I think they look for the home planet, its moons and then other planets in the system

ok thats what i figured but i was unsure.  Thanks

54 minutes ago, Galileo said:

ok thats what i figured but i was unsure.  Thanks

it could be that some contract configurator packs hardcode the name kerbin, and depending on when CC checks for the name it could be that cbNameLater messes up stuff and breaks those mods, if this is the case I suppose it should be on those contract pack devs to fix the issue by "finding" kerbin using a more reliable way (get the "home planet" instead of get "kerbin")

Just now, Sigma88 said:

it could be that some contract configurator packs hardcode the name kerbin, and depending on when CC checks for the name it could be that cbNameLater messes up stuff and breaks those mods, if this is the case I suppose it should be on those contract pack devs to fix the issue by "finding" kerbin using a more reliable way (get the "home planet" instead of get "kerbin")

well in this case in GPP a guy was getting contracts to explore icarus before he did anything around Gael. It probably is a contract configurator thing.. There are a few things that have happened like this and it was because of the sun being renamed or kerbin being renamed so you are probably right

Hello  - 

I'm not sure if this would be better answered here or with the specific mod thread I'm trying to use. 

The problem I am having is that for me and at least one other person on this forum, KSP is not properly loading saved games when using Kopernicus/KSS. For example, I will put a ship into a low kerbin orbit and when the game is saved and then loaded the ship is in a lower suborbital trajectory. Ships in orbit of Mun simply disappear with the crew killed. Basically, the positions of ships are not loaded correctly. This happens 100% of the time.  

I can provide very detailed examples if it would help, but I'm not sure if it would be best to ask here or not. 

This is happening in a completely vanilla KSP 1.2.2 with Kop. 1.2.2-2 and KSS .4 - no other mods at all. 

1 hour ago, Cap'n Brodie said:

Hello  - 

I'm not sure if this would be better answered here or with the specific mod thread I'm trying to use. 

The problem I am having is that for me and at least one other person on this forum, KSP is not properly loading saved games when using Kopernicus/KSS. For example, I will put a ship into a low kerbin orbit and when the game is saved and then loaded the ship is in a lower suborbital trajectory. Ships in orbit of Mun simply disappear with the crew killed. Basically, the positions of ships are not loaded correctly. This happens 100% of the time.  

I can provide very detailed examples if it would help, but I'm not sure if it would be best to ask here or not. 

This is happening in a completely vanilla KSP 1.2.2 with Kop. 1.2.2-2 and KSS .4 - no other mods at all. 

If you provide us logs we can take a look to see if this is a kopernicus issue or a kss one.

Can you confirm that this issue does not appear without kss? And with kss but without kopernicus?

For the list of files we need click on the nyan cat in my sig

11 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

If you provide us logs we can take a look to see if this is a kopernicus issue or a kss one.

Can you confirm that this issue does not appear without kss? And with kss but without kopernicus?

For the list of files we need click on the nyan cat in my sig

Thanks very much! 

KSP 1.2.2

Mods (I normally use a few, but for the purposes of testing this issue, the problem occurs 100% of the time using no other mods than Kop/KSS. 
Kop. 1.2.2-2
KSS .4

Logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y7o7fkvvzjy32i/logs.zip?dl=0

Procedure:

• Fresh install
  • Add mods per instructions
  • Launch ship, place in circular 73km orbit
  • Save and close KSP
  • Saved Logs (Post Save)
  • Launched KSP
  • Loaded Save
  • Ship was now in suborbital trajectory
  • Exited KSP
  • Saved Logs (Post Load)

Thanks again for taking a look

1 hour ago, Cap'n Brodie said:

Thanks very much! 

KSP 1.2.2

Mods (I normally use a few, but for the purposes of testing this issue, the problem occurs 100% of the time using no other mods than Kop/KSS. 
Kop. 1.2.2-2
KSS .4

Logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y7o7fkvvzjy32i/logs.zip?dl=0

Procedure:

• Fresh install
  • Add mods per instructions
  • Launch ship, place in circular 73km orbit
  • Save and close KSP
  • Saved Logs (Post Save)
  • Launched KSP
  • Loaded Save
  • Ship was now in suborbital trajectory
  • Exited KSP
  • Saved Logs (Post Load)

Thanks again for taking a look

Before I start going through the logs (which could take  while) have you tried to reproduce the issue with kss but no kopernicus and with kopernicus but no kss?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.