[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

3 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I think you are being a little dramatic lol

I am perhaps, but I can't help, but to ponder the question.   lol   Playing in 1.3.1 atm.  I know, that I wont upgrade until this mod is upgraded.  I am not unhappy by any means, and can happily play  on my 1.3.1 game save for another  500 hours at least.   lol    I like my games to be massive in scale,  the bigger the better.   One of reasons that I spent 9 years in EVE Online.   This is really the only mod in KSP, that I have seen, that enables a real scaling of the game's complexity.

3 hours ago, Red Thought said:

I am perhaps, but I can't help, but to ponder the question.   lol   Playing in 1.3.1 atm.  I know, that I wont upgrade until this mod is upgraded.  I am not unhappy by any means, and can happily play  on my 1.3.1 game save for another  500 hours at least.   lol    I like my games to be massive in scale,  the bigger the better.   One of reasons that I spent 9 years in EVE Online.   This is really the only mod in KSP, that I have seen, that enables a real scaling of the game's complexity.

This is the way it is every KSP version update.  Even with work done prior to the release, it takes 1 to 2 months for all the mods under active development to upgrade.  In fact, I'd say things are happened a bit faster that usual this time round.  For those who can't wait, as you've done, there's always KSP 1.3.1 until the mods needed do upgrade.

And there are always mods going out of support.  Some of them get picked up when the licencing allows or the mod author can be convinced to transfer the mod.  If that can't happen, then the mod fades away.  If the need is there and someone feels it enough, something new will eventually be made.

That's why it's important for the critical mods (or any mod you want to not just disappear) to be licenced so that they can be forked if it comes to needing that.

Kopernicus is licenced with the Lesser GPL.  It's critical infrastructure for several features of KSP modding so it will always get supported eventually until it's no longer needed or KSP itself fades away.

1 minute ago, Jacke said:

This is the way it is every KSP version update.  Even with work done prior to the release, it takes 1 to 2 months for all the mods under active development to upgrade.  In fact, I'd say things are happened a bit faster that usual this time round.  For those who can't wait, as you've done, there's always KSP 1.3.1 until the mods needed do upgrade.

And there are always mods going out of support.  Some of them get picked up when the licencing allows or the mod author can be convinced to transfer the mod.  If that can't happen, then the mod fades away.  If the need is there and someone feels it enough, something new will eventually be made.

That's why it's important for the critical mods (or any mod you want to not just disappear) to be licenced so that they can be forked if it comes to needing that.

Kopernicus is licenced with the Lesser GPL.  It's critical infrastructure for several features of KSP modding so it will always get supported eventually until it's no longer needed or KSP itself fades away.

Or do other things while you wait. It is just the cycle of things. Think this might be the last cycle for me, new version runs much smoother for my computer that 1.3.1

At least I now have time to plan project names. Can't do anything significant until I can get 3.2x back.

Edited by demibear

6 hours ago, Red Thought said:

So much of the modded greatness of KSP revolves completely around this mod.   What would happen if this mod was never updated?

Umm it is being updated though. Look on GitHub and you can see work is being done to bring this over to 1.4.1 and also to improve on the mod. These things take time! :)

On 3/23/2018 at 4:40 AM, Red Thought said:

So much of the modded greatness of KSP revolves completely around this mod.   What would happen if this mod was never updated?

I agree, I would have tired of KSP's stock sized system long ago were it not for Kopernicu

On 3/23/2018 at 8:46 AM, demibear said:

Or do other things while you wait. It is just the cycle of things. Think this might be the last cycle for me, new version runs much smoother for my computer that 1.3.1

At least I now have time to plan project names. Can't do anything significant until I can get 3.2x back.

I also do other things in the meantime, although I'm just waiting to get my 3x back... maybe I'll change it to 3.2x, but I don't think it will make much difference (~3.3% difference in dV requirements)

I did a quick search since i see most mods didnt get effected too-too badly. Found this YouTube clip regarding 1.4.1 and visual mods. Obviously this should be taken with a grain of salt and a per user basis if it works or not,..and of course considered completly UNOFFICIAL since theres no actual 1.4 release yet for Kopernicus. Also I havnt tested it myself. Just thought Id share. Cheers and I hope everything is going well with the update!

also theres this which i found interesting since some mods need a texture replacer plugin to work

Edited by Jesusthebird

On 23/03/2018 at 11:27 AM, Pleb said:

If you look in the commits on Github: https://github.com/Kopernicus/Kopernicus/commits/master

Nothing has been released yet but you can see that work is being done.

So work is in progress?  I was just so afraid that new EULA conditions and developer would shut down these mods for good. I don't mind not having any ETA if it is not dead anyway.

On 3/19/2018 at 6:15 AM, Dankgum said:

I believe alternate launch sites are part of the main game, not the DLC. Just saying.

I just fired up 1.4 and tested, it doesn't seem to be the case... so how will kopernicus handle configs for alternate launch sites? I'm really hoping that we won't have to have a mod and non mod version of not just kopernicus, but modded planet configs.

1 hour ago, KerikBalm said:

I just fired up 1.4 and tested, it doesn't seem to be the case... so how will kopernicus handle configs for alternate launch sites? I'm really hoping that we won't have to have a mod and non mod version of not just kopernicus, but modded planet configs.

Oh well. I guess Kopernicus will just add no support for multiple launch sites, or maybe they might make their own way (e.g. another plugin)

20 hours ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

So work is in progress?  I was just so afraid that new EULA conditions and developer would shut down these mods for good. I don't mind not having any ETA if it is not dead anyway.

As I have said before, live life for a few months and then come back to look. Been just messing around with craft files, but not running a career mode right now.

7 hours ago, Dankgum said:

Oh well. I guess Kopernicus will just add no support for multiple launch sites, or maybe they might make their own way (e.g. another plugin)

Or just use Kerbal Konstructs?

Edited by Pleb

45 minutes ago, njbrown09 said:

Recompiled it for 1.4.1 if anyone really wants it. It has some bugs (rings dont work). I only tested it a little, so its just for those of you that are impatient. Download. If im not allowed to distribute this, someone please tell me.

I would prefer if you would not distribute this. If you do, please change the version number in CompatibilityChecker.cs to something that clearly marks this as unofficial so people can choose to not support this build.

Edited by Thomas P.

10 minutes ago, njbrown09 said:

What happened?

One of the asset packs that Kopernicus called on was broken into two separate ones, making it much more difficult (if not impossible) to do some of the things Kopernicus did. Or, so I've heard.

8 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

One of the asset packs that Kopernicus called on was broken into two separate ones, making it much more difficult (if not impossible) to do some of the things Kopernicus did. Or, so I've heard.

Moduleflightintegrator?

22 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

In fact I just didn't have enough time and motivation to work on Kopernicus until my holidays started.

The changes that were needed for Kopernicus were actually pretty minor ones.

Edited by Thomas P.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.