[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

6 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

I've never experienced your first issue, so I have no answer for that.

Regarding your second question, as far as I know, they are in slow orbits.  As I understand it, everything orbits around one central body, typically the Sun.  However, not long ago Kopernicus introduced the ability to use custom orbital periods, so perhaps they can be put into a fixed position by setting the orbital period to 0.  I don't know if any mods that actually do that, however.

Do you mean that for you the trajectory lines for hyperbolic solar orbits stretch out to infinity?

I have just spotted that the star Cercani which is my destination has an orbital velocity so presumably it is in a very slow orbit.

Edited by tomf

7 minutes ago, tomf said:

Do you mean that for you the trajectory lines for hyperbolic solar orbits stretch out to infinity?

Theoretically, yes.  But I don't know how KSP handles "infinity".  Perhaps there's a hard limit at some point?

On 8/29/2019 at 3:33 PM, Gordon Fecyk said:

I had to add a placeholder ocean to Minmus in Alien Space Programs to deal with home world frame rate issues. The solution involved enlarging Minmus ever so slightly to cover all of the water.

@PQS
	{
		Mods
		{
			VertexHeightOffset
			{
				offset = 10
				enabled = True
				order = 1000000
			}
		}
	}

…or something like this. +10 metre radius.

I can't seem to get this fix working correctly. I tried adding it to the same CFG file as the previously posted fix as well as creating a new CFG file for it. Both times it doesn't raise the surface above the ocean, both the flats and the ocean surface are at the same level.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:53 AM, Jognt said:

Link in my sig ;) 

afaik that bug is fixed in the current master branch, you could compile it yourself, try the bandaid patch in my sig, or wait for an official update. :) 

FYI on that patch ( which adds oceans to all bodies ).

It causes some weird visual dopplering effects on Minmus flats.  ( I can live with that though, as it fixes the severe lag issue ).

Another problem it causes is with deployed science on the flats ( which are now "splashed" ).  That's an invalid state for them, so they don't run and generate science.  "Experiment Situation Invalid".

2 hours ago, ddavis425 said:

I can't seem to get this fix (raising Minmus surface above placeholder ocean) working correctly

Let me get home from work and I can take a shot at it at my own PC. There were other things changed alongside this, and it was done on a fully defined Minmus configuration and not the Minmus stock template. So I'd need to adapt this some.

2 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

Let me get home from work and I can take a shot at it at my own PC. There were other things changed alongside this, and it was done on a fully defined Minmus configuration and not the Minmus stock template. So I'd need to adapt this some.

Could you let me know if you find a fix for the planet-flooding from the fix for the FPS? I don't know much about Kopernicus, so I can't be of much help, but I'd like to update my post for that FPS fix if it can be improved.

@ddavis425 and @Jognt This is the full Minmus config that seems to work:

Spoiler

@Kopernicus
{
	@Body[Minmus]
	{
		%identifier = FixFrameRateIssues/Minmus
		%cacheFile = FixFrameRateIssues/Cache/FFRIMimnus.bin
		Debug
		{
			update = true
		}
		@Properties
		{
			@ScienceValues
			{
			}
		}
		@Orbit
		{
		}
		@ScaledVersion
		{
		}
		@PQS
		{
			Mods
			{
				//Added thanks to Thomas
				//Raises Minmus' surface above placeholder ocean
				VertexHeightOffset
				{
					offset = 10
					enabled = True
					order = 1000000
				}
			}
		}
		%Ocean // Placeholder taken from Oceanus, example ocean world
		{
			maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
			minLevel = -4
			maxLevel = -2
			minDetailDistance = 16
			oceanColor = 0.15,0.25,0.35,0
			Material
			{
				colorFromSpace = 0.15,0.25,0.35,0
				color = 0.15,0.25,0.35,0
			}
			FallbackMaterial
			{
				color = 0.15,0.25,0.35,0
			}
			Mods
			{
				AerialPerspectiveMaterial
				{
					globalDensity = -0.00001
					heightFalloff = 6.75
					atmosphereDepth = 150000
					DEBUG_SetEveryFrame = true
					cameraAlt = 0
					cameraAtmosAlt = 0
					heightDensAtViewer = 0
					enabled = true
					order = 200
				}
				OceanFX
				{
					Watermain
					{
						waterTex-0 = BUILTIN/sea-water1
						waterTex-1 = BUILTIN/sea-water2
						waterTex-2 = BUILTIN/sea-water3
						waterTex-3 = BUILTIN/sea-water4
						waterTex-4 = BUILTIN/sea-water5
						waterTex-5 = BUILTIN/sea-water6
						waterTex-6 = BUILTIN/sea-water7
						waterTex-7 = BUILTIN/sea-water8
					}
					framesPerSecond = 1
					spaceAltitude = 150000
					blendA = 0
					blendB = 0
					texBlend = 0
					angle = 0
					specColor = 0.0,0.0,-1,0
					oceanOpacity = 0
					spaceSurfaceBlend = 0
					enabled = true
					order = 200
				}
			}
			Fog
			{
				fogColorEnd = 0.15,0.25,0.35,0
				fogColorStart = 0.15,0.25,0.35,0
				skyColorOpacityBase = 0.7
			}
		}
	}
}

This adds an ocean and raises Minmus' flats 10 m above the new 'sea level.' Be warned that craft placed on the surface prior to this patch could jump on load; use World Stabilizer to counter this effect.

11 hours ago, Gordon Fecyk said:

@ddavis425 and @Jognt This is the full Minmus config that seems to work:

Reveal hidden contents

@Kopernicus
{
	@Body[Minmus]
	{
		%identifier = FixFrameRateIssues/Minmus
		%cacheFile = FixFrameRateIssues/Cache/FFRIMimnus.bin
		Debug
		{
			update = true
		}
		@Properties
		{
			@ScienceValues
			{
			}
		}
		@Orbit
		{
		}
		@ScaledVersion
		{
		}
		@PQS
		{
			Mods
			{
				//Added thanks to Thomas
				//Raises Minmus' surface above placeholder ocean
				VertexHeightOffset
				{
					offset = 10
					enabled = True
					order = 1000000
				}
			}
		}
		%Ocean // Placeholder taken from Oceanus, example ocean world
		{
			maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
			minLevel = -4
			maxLevel = -2
			minDetailDistance = 16
			oceanColor = 0.15,0.25,0.35,0
			Material
			{
				color = 0.15,0.25,0.35,0
			}
			FallbackMaterial
			{
				color = 0.15,0.25,0.35,0
			}
			Mods
			{
				AerialPerspectiveMaterial
				{
					globalDensity = -0.00001
					heightFalloff = 6.75
					atmosphereDepth = 150000
					DEBUG_SetEveryFrame = true
					cameraAlt = 0
					cameraAtmosAlt = 0
					heightDensAtViewer = 0
					enabled = true
					order = 200
				}
				OceanFX
				{
					Watermain
					{
						waterTex-0 = BUILTIN/sea-water1
						waterTex-1 = BUILTIN/sea-water2
						waterTex-2 = BUILTIN/sea-water3
						waterTex-3 = BUILTIN/sea-water4
						waterTex-4 = BUILTIN/sea-water5
						waterTex-5 = BUILTIN/sea-water6
						waterTex-6 = BUILTIN/sea-water7
						waterTex-7 = BUILTIN/sea-water8
					}
					framesPerSecond = 1
					spaceAltitude = 150000
					blendA = 0
					blendB = 0
					texBlend = 0
					angle = 0
					specColor = 0.0,0.0,-1,0
					oceanOpacity = 0
					spaceSurfaceBlend = 0
					enabled = true
					order = 200
				}
			}
			Fog
			{
				fogColorEnd = 0.15,0.25,0.35,0
				fogColorStart = 0.15,0.25,0.35,0
				skyColorOpacityBase = 0.7
			}
		}
	}
}

This adds an ocean and raises Minmus' flats 10 m above the new 'sea level.' Be warned that craft placed on the surface prior to this patch could jump on load; use World Stabilizer to counter this effect.

Thank you. Since I’m guessing Minmus isn’t the only planet with this problem (MoHole anyone?); do you know how to do this in a similar blanket statement like the first ‘fix’? Or does it have to be done ‘custom’ for each planet?

It seems like this issue was fixed in the github repo but no work has been done in months. Can someone fork it and release a binary? I'd really rather not use hacky ocean patches to fix this problem when the at fault code was removed in the repo.

Edit: Hours after I posted this, the mod officially had an update released.

Edited by viveleroi

Released 1.7.3-2 and all the other backports:

• Removed Kopernicus Buoyancy modifications to fix ocean lag, they never worked anyways
  • Fixed texture loading with on-demand loading disabled
  • Unload normal maps from RAM and only keep them in VRAM when loaded on demand

Sorry for the really long delay, I just didn't really have time (or motivation) to do the release work.

Note: This doesn't fix the lags that are caused by the DLC scatters! Those lags are not something that Kopernicus can fix, they are a design flaw in the DLC scatter system that is noticeable in rescaled systems (JNSQ for example). If a part of the terrain has reached it's highest subdivision level, the DLC scatters will be enabled in that area. In a rescaled system, the planets have to subdivide way earlier than in stock scale, to keep the same level of detail, meaning the area that gets filled with scatters is higher. I actually did the math, and in JNSQ you have 11x more DLC scatter than in stock.

The stock scatters (i.e. the ones that exist for literally years without ever being enabled :P) solve this by not checking for subdivision level, but checking for the distance to the active vessel AFAIK.

Of course I could probably hijack them somehow, but I would really prefer if Squad would fix their code to work better with rescaled systems.

For a quick and dirty solution you have to disable the DLC scatters in your savegame (set ROCSeed to -1). Alternatively planet makers would have to finetune their subdivision settings for the DLC, but that might have other performance implications (because you need *more* subdivision)

Edited by Thomas P.

4 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

Released 1.7.3-2 and all the other backports:

• Removed Kopernicus Buoyancy modifications to fix ocean lag, they never worked anyways
  • Fixed texture loading with on-demand loading disabled
  • Unload normal maps from RAM and only keep them in VRAM when loaded on demand

Sorry for the really long delay, I just didn't really have time (or motivation) to do the release work.

Note: This doesn't fix the lags that are caused by the DLC scatters! Those lags are not something that Kopernicus can fix, they are a design flaw in the DLC scatter system that is noticeable in rescaled systems (JNSQ for example). If a part of the terrain has reached it's highest subdivision level, the DLC scatters will be enabled in that area. In a rescaled system, the planets have to subdivide way earlier than in stock scale, to keep the same level of detail, meaning the area that gets filled with scatters is higher. I actually did the math, and in JNSQ you have 11x more DLC scatter than in stock.

The stock scatters (i.e. the ones that exist for literally years without ever being enabled :P) solve this by not checking for subdivision level, but checking for the distance to the active vessel AFAIK.

Of course I could probably hijack them somehow, but I would really prefer if Squad would fix their code to work better with rescaled systems.

For a quick and dirty solution you have to disable the DLC scatters in your savegame (set ROCSeed to -1). Alternatively planet makers would have to finetune their subdivision settings for the DLC, but that might have other performance implications (because you need *more* subdivision)

Thank you for your efforts Thomas.  Unfortunately, the FPS loss issue persists as I reported on git here.  No rescale or DLC scatters, just plain 1.7.3 stock with Kopernicus and MFI.  When you say DLC scatters, does this by chance include stock Terrain Scatters even with no rescale?  Sorry, I'm just seeking clarification.

56 minutes ago, Joker58th said:

Thank you for your efforts Thomas.  Unfortunately, the FPS loss issue persists as I reported on git here.  No rescale or DLC scatters, just plain 1.7.3 stock with Kopernicus and MFI.  When you say DLC scatters, does this by chance include stock Terrain Scatters even with no rescale?  Sorry, I'm just seeking clarification.

'DLC scatter" does not include the stock scatter.

21 minutes ago, KerbMav said:

@Thomas P. @Joker58th @Galileo

At some point I added this to my personal configs:

And I imagine it had a positive effect on performance (in my x10 sized stock system).

With the latest update of kopernicus, I removed that little bit from JNSQ and the performance is still well over 100fps for me. I'll keep it in as a precaution, but I don't think it's necessary anymore.

@Purplefin Neptuna

Yep, similar issue here, although not really lag. When in flight, I press M to load map and the game completely freezes for like 3-4 seconds before loading the map, after which it works perfectly normally though. It's a much more minor issue than the surface lag on planets in the previous version but still slightly annoying.

1 hour ago, nwillard said:

Apologies but I need some clarification: is the horrific FPS issue that necessitated the ocean collider fix not a problem with this new update? Can I remove Minmus' seas?

Yes, the latest update fixes the fps issues. Feel free to remove the temporary fix cfg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.