[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

6 hours ago, Pehvbot said:

So I decided to live life on the bleeding edge and compiled the latest GitHub release against 1.9 and loaded Real Solar System.  And it worked.  And looks great.  I was surprised how well it went.

Well, except all the biomes on all the bodies are upside down.  I wasn't really expecting it to work but this was... not how I thought it would fail.  Oh well, it was a fun experiment.  Now back to 1.8.1!  

Actually, this may a problem with RSS, not a bug in Kopernicus itself. The biome maps were broken in 1.8.1, and something might have gone wrong during texture conversion. Vertically flipped textures are a common sight of someone forgetting to flip a non-DDS one.

If you feel like doing some more testing, try loading JNSQ. It seems to use the most Kopernicus features, and it's up to date for 1.8.1.

Edited by Guest

52 minutes ago, SingABrightSong said:

is it possible for users to define new Breaking Ground surface features (e.g. the Baobab tree) for new or modified planets, or would that be out of scope?

It is possible to put existing Breaking Ground features (e.g. the Baobab tree) into biomes on any(?) body. Edit: now that I read it again, I didn't test it on *new* planets.

Creating new features seems to be a feat no one has accomplished, yet.

Edited by HansAcker

8 hours ago, Pehvbot said:

So I decided to live life on the bleeding edge and compiled the latest GitHub release against 1.9 and loaded Real Solar System.  And it worked.  And looks great.  I was surprised how well it went.

Well, except all the biomes on all the bodies are upside down.  I wasn't really expecting it to work but this was... not how I thought it would fail.  Oh well, it was a fun experiment.  Now back to 1.8.1! 

This is an issue with RSS 18 (it also affects 1.8.1). If you grab the latest textures from github then they are fixed.

8 hours ago, Pehvbot said:

Keep in mind, the required updates for he new atlas shader has not been implemented, so things will still be very broken at the moment if you attempt to use the ultra shader stuff.

Edited by Galileo

1 hour ago, Galileo said:

Keep in mind, the required updates for he new atlas shader has not been implemented, so things will still be very broken at the moment if you attempt to use the ultra shader stuff.

Understood.  I was mostly just curious to see what happens.  And of course a big thanks to all the developers.  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

Actually, this may a problem with RSS, not a bug in Kopernicus itself. The biome maps were broken in 1.8.1, and something might have gone wrong during texture conversion. Vertically flipped textures are a common sight of someone forgetting to flip a non-DDS one.

If you feel like doing some more testing, try loading JNSQ. It seems to use the most Kopernicus features, and it's up to date for 1.8.1.

Thanks!  I'll give it a shot when I get the chance.

Edited by Pehvbot

I'm sticking with 1.8.1 for a bit.  Feel free to take your time and do things however you need guys. lol.  I'm quite happy with your work and effort, and as soon as I have some cash come in I'm going to send a donation.  Kopernicus is a must have.  I would revert all the way back to the beginning if it meant using it still. :P  To all of you visual mod creators and mod authors that work so hard on all of the mods (I use so dang many) you have no idea how much you are appreciated by me.  The game is great without them, but with them it's become by far the best game I've played to date.  Thank you all!  Oh and Galileo, your attention to detail is seriously under appreciated!

21 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

you can also set your steam install so that it won't automatically update ksp

I don’t see that option and I think it was removed last year. My only choices are:

Always keep this game up to date,

‘Only update this game when I launch it, and

High priority - Always auto-update this game before others

1 hour ago, BlueZed said:

I don’t see that option and I think it was removed last year. My only choices are:

I am not sure how it works with steam installation but you can copy the whole normal KSP folder, rename it and get a new completely independent branch of the game. I have all versions I have played from 0.18.0.

2 hours ago, BlueZed said:

If you go into the "Betas" tab, there's a drop-down menu that lets you select any previous version of KSP as your installation, including 1.8.1.

6 hours ago, BlueZed said:

This will give you a warning before updating, so you know that it's time to make your back up

No idea where the best place to report this is, but my heavily-modded RSS-RO install randomly crashes in the KSC scene, and it looks like a Kopernicus error. Hard to tell what exactly is going on in the logs (can't even Pastebin and link the logs because they are exceedingly long), but at the end I always get this spam:

(Filename:  Line: -1)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at AtmosphereFromGround.UpdateAtmosphere (Boolean updateAll) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at AtmosphereFromGround.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at AtmosphereFromGround.UpdateAtmosphere (Boolean updateAll) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at Kopernicus.RuntimeUtility.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Followed by:

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[Kopernicus.UI.IWindow,UnityEngine.Rect].get_Item (IWindow key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.UI.Window`1[T].get_position () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.UI.Window`1[T].BeginScrollView (Int32 viewHeight, Int32 maxHeight, Nullable`1 offset) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.UI.SelectorWindow.Render (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.UI.Window`1[T].Kopernicus.UI.IWindow.Render (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[Kopernicus.UI.IWindow,UnityEngine.Rect].get_Item (IWindow key) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.UI.Window`1[T].BeginScrollView (Int32 viewHeight, Int32 maxHeight, Nullable`1 offset) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.UI.SelectorWindow.Render (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Kopernicus.UI.Window`1[T].Kopernicus.UI.IWindow.Render (Int32 id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Setting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.
  Thread -> id: 3e98 -> priority: 1 
[UIApp] OnDestroy: MessageSystem

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Anyone have any idea what might be happening? (Does Kopernicus even have a UI to throw such errors?)

Edited by Ithirahad

2 hours ago, Ithirahad said:

No idea where the best place to report this is, but my heavily-modded RSS-RO install randomly crashes in the KSC scene, and it looks like a Kopernicus error. Hard to tell what exactly is going on in the logs (can't even Pastebin and link the logs because they are exceedingly long), but at the end I always get this spam:

Followed by:

Setting up 1 worker threads for Enlighten.
  Thread -> id: 3e98 -> priority: 1 
[UIApp] OnDestroy: MessageSystem

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Anyone have any idea what might be happening? (Does Kopernicus even have a UI to throw such errors?)

Any and all planet packs use Kopernicus by default, but that doesn’t mean it’s a Kopernicus error. 

this is an issue within a cfg in RSS. I would bring this up with the RSS team.

So right now, my planet "Rald" has the scaled space view working correctly, but the terrain is all black when I get close.

It was working before the 1.8 update, so I'd like to know what I need to do to change it.

My scaled space text looks like:

Spoiler

ScaledVersion
        {
            sphericalModel = False
            deferMesh = False
            Material
            {    
            texture = MIP/Rald/PluginData/RaldScaledSpace.png
            normals = MIP/Rald/PluginData/Rald_Normal.png
            rimColorRamp = BUILTIN/desert_atmogradient
            rimPower = 2.06
            rimBlend = 0.3
            }
        }

And my PQS section looks like:

Spoiler

PQS 

{
            minLevel = 2
            maxLevel = 8
            minDetailDistance = 6
            maxQuadLengthsPerFrame = 0.03
            fadeStart = 60000
            fadeEnd = 75000
            deactivateAltitude = 110000
            materialType = AtmosphericOptimized
            Material
            {
                saturation = 1
                contrast = 1
                tintColor = 1,1,1,0
                powerNear = 0.58
                powerFar = 0.2
                groundTexStart = 0
                groundTexEnd = 1000
                steepPower = 2
            }

Mods
          {

LandControl
                {......}

VertexHeightMap
                    {
                        map = MIP/Rald/PluginData/RaldHeight.png
                        offset = -1450 // default is 1400
                        deformity = 10500.0
                        order = 20
                        enabled = true
                    }
            VertexSimplexHeightAbsolute
               {
                seed = 23893455
                octaves = 5
                persistence = 0.75
                deformity = 100
                frequency = 400
                order = 12
                enabled = true
                }            
                       VertexColorMap
                    {
                           map = MIP/Rald/PluginData/RaldUpClose.png
                      order = 500
                           enabled = true
                    }
            VertexHeightNoise
               {
                enabled = False
                }
            VertexHeightNoiseVertHeight
                {
                enabled = False
                }                
       }
}        

In what way do I need to change PQS mods to have a ground texture show up again?

On 2/15/2020 at 1:09 AM, KerikBalm said:

Is there any resource explaining how to make use of the new shaders for planets made via mods? I'd love to update Rald to make use of the new shaders

You're best off asking the Discord.

I have several old planet packs that i really like. Mod authors mostly abandoned them, but I still like that packs. They work in 1.8.1 fine, but my modpack is pretty big, and I'm trying to optimize it somehow.
Is it good idea to convert all .png textures to .dds for old mods? AFAIKR, it will boost performance a little. If so - which NVidia plugin export settings are good for normal maps and for height maps? Which compression metod will be good - DXT1 or DXT5?

Second question is some ksp.log minor errors. This one pops up all the time:
[WRN 11:32:44.527] Cannot find preset 'Default' for pqs 'planet_name'
I can't see it for planets from OPM so i don't think it's ok.  So, is it ok to leave it be? Or can i fix it somehow? 

25 minutes ago, SuppaTenko said:

Which compression metod will be good - DXT1 or DXT5?

the difference between DXT5 and DXT1 is that the latter lacks an alpha channel

you can use DXT5 for everything and the only issue will be that they will take up a bit more space in your hard drive

RAM usage will not change because unity will just add an alpha channel to DXT1 textures when loading them

for normal maps, you want to use DXT5nm which is better than DXT5 iirc

1 hour ago, SuppaTenko said:

Which compression metod will be good - DXT1 or DXT5?

I use DDS4KSP as my first go-to to convert mbm, tga and png textures to DXT.
It automatically detects whether the original texture:

• has an included alpha channel. If it does NOT, its saves as DXT1. If it DOES, it saves as DXT5
  • is a normal map or not. If SO, it saves as DXT5nm.

It automatically does the vertical flip, too. It has several other user adjustable settings, as well.
Its also VERY simple to use: just point it at a folder (for batch converting) or a specific file, tell it convert, and... VOILA!... Instant .dds conversion in seconds, or a couple minutes (for batch converting), and in the proper DDS format.

*NOTE: with the recent deprecation of being able to use DXT3 in KSP, I havent tested, and dont know if it will convert existing DXT3 to 1 or 5... vOv
When istalling, you can ignore the part about needing DDSLoader... KSP natively uses DDS now, so you dont need it.

https://github.com/Telanor/DDS4KSP

Edited by Stone Blue

Good. Thank you for answers regarding textures. I'll try DDS4KSP this weekend. 
What about PQS presets?

---

Well, DDS4KSP worked just fine. But for some wired reason I got NyanCats. I didn't touch Kopernicus. Just converted textures for two planet packs and edited configs. Everything works just perfect, all planets are here and I don't mind 'em flying around. But why? =)

Edited by SuppaTenko
tested software

Playing a version 1.8.1 from a separate drive with latest AVP & Kopernicus. ‘‘Twas fine four hours ago but now got the Nyan Cats also. No warning about saved games but KSC is underwater. 

Restarted and Nyan Cats still there. KSC & gameplay is okay. 

Edited by BlueZed

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.