[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

I'm actually quite new to Kopernicus and OPM, it sounds like if Kopernicus is not version matched to the current version of KSP, its functionality is disabled, correct? If so, that would explain why the outer planets don't show up in my save. I thought maybe I messed up the install.

Edited by Angel-125

2 hours ago, Sigma88 said:

not even my boss talks like that to me, and he is paying me for doing my job.

posts like this is what makes modders postpone updates on purpose.

I realize I continue derailing the thread, but I agree. Mostly because asking demanding a mod be updated is, in fact, just rude. Regardless of forum rules and whether you say 'not to be rude but...'. I wanna play too, but since I don't know how to fix the stuff, I will wait.

I would like, however, to chime in and say that I once tried my hand a part mod. It was my first ever, the version number I put up was 0.1 and so perhaps I should have put it up in dev forum rather than release. I made an error in one of the config files and while trying to fix it (I'm not amazing when it comes to modding stuff) I got a comment on my thread that apart from talking about me in 3rd person, went like this: "The modder... [made a mistke] ...wow."

So... rather than try and fix it for an update, I just said to myself  "meh. if people gonna be like that, I won't bother."

Anyway. Hope it's not a pain to update Thomas P. and know that most of us wait, patiently, for you to release a working, as unbuggy as possible version, whenever it is that it's ready.

33 minutes ago, Angel-125 said:

I'm actually quite new to Kopernicus and OPM, it sounds like if Kopernicus is not version matched to the current version of KSP, its functionality is disabled, correct? If so, that would explain why the outer planets don't show up in my save. I thought maybe I messed up the install.

Correct. This feature was a response to previous user complaints about Kopernicus's incompatibility with KSP updates. It's a bit aggressive and preemptive, but it doesn't take much time reading this thread (or previous Kopernicus, or sarbian's threads, or ferram's, or...) to understand the motivation for the version lock.

2 hours ago, danfarnsy said:

Correct. This feature was a response to previous user complaints about Kopernicus's incompatibility with KSP updates. It's a bit aggressive and preemptive, but it doesn't take much time reading this thread (or previous Kopernicus, or sarbian's threads, or ferram's, or...) to understand the motivation for the version lock.

Good to know. I look forward to giving it a try once it's caught up to 1.2.1 :)

Oooooookaaaaaaaayyyy....

I'm not hurrying them, mind, I'm instead suggesting they treat us like adults and remove the stupid version lock!

Good joke! Sadly, a large part of the community and especially the planet community doesnt behave like adults, but instead they only search the Download button, and dont even read.

That would be a solution. I play another game where all mods are version locked, but it's a simple process of opening the mod's config file and changing one number. Works almost every time.

If it would be that easy, Users would apply this hack, and "forget" that they applied it when they want support, either from the planet pack authors or from me. Trust me, we already had that with the old x64 hack.
(I remember a story from sarbian, where he spend some hours trying to replicate an issue that was actually caused by x64 instabilities, but the user hasnt told him that he uses x64)

If the users of Kopernicus would behave more mature, I would have no problem with removing the version lock. But sadly this doesn't work. Just look at the last page. Every Single Update, there is a 2-pages spam marathon about why the version lock is silly, and why I have to remove it NAOW. Do you get why I added it in the first place? I added it, when the 1.0.5 update heavily broke my code, and instead of bugging me, the users started to annoy the planet pack makers about why their mod would kill their games. Thats why I am locking Kopernicus to the releases it has been tested on. And by tested I mean tested by me or someone who understands every part of the code, not someone who throws the dll into GameData and starts the game.

Additionally I live in Europe, and it is always night for me when Squad releases updates. And in the morning I have better things to do than to check if there were KSP updates - not that it would actually matter as I have to go to school shortly after getting up. So, if you complain about Kopernicus being version locked, you should realize that I always update it as soon as possible, unless people start to annoy me (For example: I never released a Kopernicus for 1.1.1. Why? Because people annoyed me that much that we missed 1.1.1 and went straight to 1.1.2).

Also: People say "1.2.1 broke Kopernicus, there are no planets". Does NOBODY read the dammn popup that is shown when you start the game?

TL;DR: I will update it when I want to update it, and when I have the time to do so. In the meantime, stop complaining, or I will ask the moderators to close the thread, which would be quite unfair for those who actually need help.

P.S. If there would be codevelopers for Kopernicus, I would have no problem if they would update and release versions when I am away. Sadly, I am almost the only person working on it

Edited by Thomas P.

@Thomas P. hope you'll successfully be able to get a stable version on 1.2.1 working. Wish you luck!

In the meantime, I need to cope with the fact that they had to make that damn silent patch just an hour after I released a major update of my mod and now only a small franction of people who didn't actually update to 1.2.1 can use it...

Due to problems with SigmaDimensions, I've spent the last few weeks cobbling together a fun-sized kerbin system via kopernicus (think 64k+OPM planets but with more randomized distances).  I'm still waiting on FAR but find that the stock atmo requires just about the same DeltaV as a 6.4x atmo would with FAR.  Last night I actually started a 'fun' save.  So I am not touching 1.2.1 until Kopernicus and a dozen other mods update.

3 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

P.S. If there would be codevelopers for Kopernicus, I would have no problem if they would update and release versions when I am away. Sadly, I am almost the only person working on it

I'd like to help out with Kopernicus development but I've got too much on my plate already for the amount of free time I have available...

I was digging through some very old configs and realized that the bug I am seeing now, the lack of a Kerbin.bin file in the cache, is a replication of something I ran into long ago.  A long time ago I shared a fix for the 64k mod (now Kscale64) that included *.bin files for all the bodies.  That was a fix then as it is a fix today.

Hi folks,

Well, it's that time again.  The traditional Kopernicus-thread-has-a-meltdown event that happens every time there's a KSP update, and requires the moderator team to step in.  Again.

Several posts have been tidied up, here, due to being off-topic and/or unproductive.  By which I mean, falling into one or more of the following categories:

• Insulting fellow forum members, which is never okay, regardless of how one may feel about their behavior.  If you think someone is out of line, don't call them names; just report the post and let moderators deal with anything that needs dealing with.  It's what we're for.
  • Carrying on an irrelevant, off-topic argument about KSP stability in various versions.  That has nothing to do with Kopernicus.  It's a fine conversation to have, but not here in this thread.  If you want to argue about KSP stability, please take it over to General Discussion.
  • Trying to continue an argument about the merits of Kopernicus' hard version lock.  Such arguing 1. is counterproductive, 2. doesn't help anybody, and 3. is pointless, because that argument has already been settled and explained over the last page or so of posts.

If anyone has any trouble grasping the concept that "there are good reasons for the lock" and "complaining about it accomplishes nothing and is a bad idea", please read @Thomas P.'s informative post above:

...in which he displays, yet again, an admirable degree of patience and restraint, given all the abuse he has to put up with, time and time again, for the dubious privilege of endless thankless hours of unpaid work, keeping Kopernicus up and running and thereby singlehandedly carrying the weight of the entire planet-modding community on his shoulders.

For continuing to do all that, he's a hero of the KSP community.  If anyone still thinks it's a good idea to dump on such a person because you have to wait a few days for your free shiny toys, please go back and read that post again, and keep re-reading it as needed until the concept sinks in.  Either it will bring enlightenment, or it will keep you occupied until there's a Kopernicus update.  Either way, everyone wins! :)

To all the innocent bystanders here, thank you for your patience.  And especially thank you, Thomas, for all that you do for us.  Again.  I'm sorry the services of the mod team were required here in your thread, yet again.

Okay folks, opening up the thread.  I understand that people can get carried away by enthusiasm for this excellent mod, so this cleanup has been with a fairly light touch.  Please try to color inside the lines, and be aware that further derailments will be dealt with more firmly.  Thank you for your understanding.

@Snark thank you for cleaning up. I swear, this thread reminds me of Viscera Cleanup Detail after every KSP update.

@Thomas P. I, for one, understand the value of the version-lock, thus I shall wait patiently for Kopernicus to update as well. I wish you the best of luck with getting an update ready.

I wish I could code mods myself, in that case, I'd definitely be willing to lend a hand here, but alas, I can only code Kopernicus configs...

4 hours ago, Snark said:

..in which he displays, yet again, an admirable degree of patience and restraint, given all the abuse he has to put up with, time and time again, for the dubious privilege of endless thankless hours of unpaid work, keeping Kopernicus up and running and thereby singlehandedly carrying the weight of the entire planet-modding community on his shoulders.

For continuing to do all that, he's a hero of the KSP community.  If anyone still thinks it's a good idea to dump on such a person because you have to wait a few days for your free shiny toys, please go back and read that post again, and keep re-reading it as needed until the concept sinks in.  Either it will bring enlightenment, or it will keep you occupied until there's a Kopernicus update.  Either way, everyone wins! :)

I feel like anything I could say would just take away from the awesomeness that just happened.  So here is a gif

qfnAMPt5ncQRG.gif

So I didn't notice that there was an update to KSP until I loaded my game and realized that my Tekto base was not showing up in the tracking station. Would it be correct to assume that it is gone for good? Or is there a possibility that it will reappear when the new version of kopernicus comes out? I'm very new to OPM (like, started using it about a week ago) so it's not a huge deal either way.

10 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

TL;DR: I will update it when I want to update it, and when I have the time to do so. In the meantime, stop complaining, or I will ask the moderators to close the thread, which would be quite unfair for those who actually need help.

Take your time. Not your fault a new sub-version of the game released so quickly.  Lots of us appreciate the creative energies you're putting into the game. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Justinjah91 said:

So I didn't notice that there was an update to KSP until I loaded my game and realized that my Tekto base was not showing up in the tracking station. Would it be correct to assume that it is gone for good? Or is there a possibility that it will reappear when the new version of kopernicus comes out? I'm very new to OPM (like, started using it about a week ago) so it's not a huge deal either way.

I do not know if it is there or not.  But I do know how you can check yourself if you dont want to wait for an expert.  Open your savefile "persistent.sfs" using a text editor and do a search for your ship's name like this "name = your ships name here".  This line will appear many times so keep searching until you find it in context of something that looks like this:

vessel{

pid =885798709879

name = your ships name here

type = blah

sit = LANDED (probably since you said it was a base)

landed = True 

there are alot of lines after this that look like coordinates.  If you see something like this then it is the information that describes your base, its location, and what parts it is made of.  In other words, it means your base is still a part of the save file and there is a good chance that it will reappear once Kopernicus is working again.  If you do not find something like this (and your sure you spelled your base name correctly) then you now know the base is gone.

55 minutes ago, Uberns said:

I do not know if it is there or not.  But I do know how you can check yourself if you dont want to wait for an expert.  Open your savefile "persistent.sfs" using a text editor and do a search for your ship's name like this "name = your ships name here".  This line will appear many times so keep searching until you find it in context of something that looks like this:

vessel{

pid =885798709879

name = your ships name here

type = blah

sit = LANDED (probably since you said it was a base)

landed = True 

there are alot of lines after this that look like coordinates.  If you see something like this then it is the information that describes your base, its location, and what parts it is made of.  In other words, it means your base is still a part of the save file and there is a good chance that it will reappear once Kopernicus is working again.  If you do not find something like this (and your sure you spelled your base name correctly) then you now know the base is gone.

Ah, that's a shame. It appears to be gone. That's alright, there were some design flaws anyways.

1 hour ago, Justinjah91 said:

Ah, that's a shame. It appears to be gone. That's alright, there were some design flaws anyways.

But your KSC will now have a reason to ask Kongress to lift the hiring freeze!  More sacrifices for the Kraken! Great Kerbal Test Subjects  Explorers for everyone!

5 hours ago, Justinjah91 said:

So I didn't notice that there was an update to KSP until I loaded my game and realized that my Tekto base was not showing up in the tracking station.

But wasn't there a popup warning about (at least) one mod being out of date and/or deactivated when you launched the game?

26 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

But wasn't there a popup warning about (at least) one mod being out of date and/or deactivated when you launched the game?

There's a small popup saying they're out of date and 'may not work properly'. Maybe it could say it's actually being completely disabled, so people don't try play anyway without knowing all the risks?

3 hours ago, Justinjah91 said:

Check inside the folder for your save game, and there's a folder called 'backup'. It should have like 5 of the latest saves in there. If you're lucky one might be old enough to be pre-1.2.1 (they have datestamps so you can check)

15 hours ago, Thomas P. said:

Please do take your time Thomas and work on mods when you want, it is meant to be fun and us users get the joy of your work for free so we dont have the right to complain in my mind.

So I for one can wait, also I completely understand the Europe time "problem" always at night squad release things.

Really I just want to say thank you very much for all the great work!

Well, I agree on the idea of adding config to remove version lock by your own. Add capitalized words/disclaimer description/warning next to that config line that you should take the risk by yourself as you enable it.  We can crowd bug reporting by whoever dare to take the risk reporting the bugs. You can speed up the debugging slightly if you can find bugs faster. I think people who know how to and dare to enable it mostly will not complain incompatibility only but also describing how it doesn't work. with  It's killing two birds with one stone.   

No need to hurry since rushing often makes low-quality products.  

Anyway I never made to other planets yet haha :)

Edited by ssd21345

12 minutes ago, ssd21345 said:

Well, I agree on the idea of adding config to remove version lock by your own. Add capitalized words/disclaimer description/warning next to that config line that you should take the risk by yourself as you enable it.

I know you mean well by suggesting that.  Except that this sort of thing has been proposed a zillion times already, and Thomas has really, really good reasons for doing things the way he's been doing them.

For example, the specific reason why your proposed idea would fail explosively is that bitter experience has proven, many many times, that people would ignore the warning, do it anyway, run into problems, and then come and make Thomas' life a living hell.

But really, you don't need to know the specific reason.  All you need to know is that "this is how Thomas does it, because he's been doing this for a long time and is neither stupid nor malicious, so he has excellent reasons for doing what he does."  Look, Thomas is the one with the experience here.  Given the tremendous service he does for us all, he really, really shouldn't have to fight this battle every blessed time KSP updates.  So, for anyone who may be having similar thoughts to the above, please go back and read this, just a few posts above:

Next:

21 minutes ago, ssd21345 said:

We can crowd bug reporting by whoever dare to take the risk reporting the bugs. You can speed up the debugging slightly if you can find bugs faster. I think people who know how to and dare to enable it mostly will not complain incompatibility only but also describing how it doesn't work. with  It's killing two birds with one stone.   

...again, nice idea, but experience has shown that it doesn't work this way, given the collective behavior of teh internets.  It wouldn't be killing two birds with one stone.  It would just be killing one Thomas with many, many stones, all the time.

Please, let's just drop the question of "what should Kopernicus do", even if it's a well-meant "helpful suggestion".  It is the way it is, Thomas has good reasons for that, he will change it if and when he is so inclined (not that I see any reason why he would, ever), so there's no point in even discussing it.  So, let's get back to Kopernicus itself, shall we?

24 minutes ago, ssd21345 said:

No need to hurry since rushing often makes low-quality products.

^ Absolutely!  :)  But mostly because rushing is something that nobody has any right to expect, since Thomas is doing lots of unpaid work to give us all shiny toys for free, again and again.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.