[1.8.1-1] [PLEASE FORK ME] Kopernicus & KittopiaTech

Thomas P.

1 minute ago, Astrofox said:

Okay, the hyperedit bugs' been solved. The stars, however, need some work on.

I have the star stuff uninstalled for now, so it doesn't bug me to the end of the universe...

You never explained what was wrong with the stars, and that screenshot doesn't really show anything a miss. What is the problem?

28 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I don't expect anyone to have 150+ textures (color, normal, height) so I'm afraid your request for donations will continue to fall on deaf ears.

as for PQS tutorials, I'm sure you  and find a tutorial around the forum by @The White Guardian 

Just gotta do your research

No nor do I but it is always worth asking.

Got TWG's already just haven't had a chance to go through them yet.

And had a horrible thought I'd get this type of answer, sorry if I'm bugging everyone. But I was hoping for a nudge in the right direction.

Okay then, let me try to explain:

In older versions, the stars that I've created did not show up unless you got close enough to them.

Now, they are showing up, even in flight. This means that the stars are adding unwanted brightness to what should be a rather dark sky.

Instead of being point-lights, or rather they didn't show up until I got close enough, they stick out like sore thumbs and tend to lag the game badly.

35 minutes ago, Astrofox said:

Okay then, let me try to explain:

In older versions, the stars that I've created did not show up unless you got close enough to them.

Now, they are showing up, even in flight. This means that the stars are adding unwanted brightness to what should be a rather dark sky.

Instead of being point-lights, or rather they didn't show up until I got close enough, they stick out like sore thumbs and tend to lag the game badly.

Sounds like you need to use brightness curves for your stars, but causing lag? I have never heard of a star or multiple causing lag. There are multiple mods that add a ton of stars. KSS and Galactic Neighborhood add a ton of stars and I have seen complete potatos run this mods (sans visual mods). Maybe double check your cfgs and your logs for errors

12 minutes ago, Galileo said:

Sounds like you need to use brightness curves for your stars, but causing lag? I have never heard of a star or multiple causing lag. There are multiple mods that add a ton of stars. KSS and Galactic Neighborhood add a ton of stars and I have seen complete potatos run this mods (sans visual mods). Maybe double check your cfgs and your logs for errors

@Astrofox

Please don't copy stars from GN, they rely on custom stuff I do with my plugin so parts of the code might not be compatible with standard kopernicus

16 minutes ago, Sigma88 said:

@Astrofox

Please don't copy stars from GN, they rely on custom stuff I do with my plugin so parts of the code might not be compatible with standard kopernicus

I wasn't suggesting that, I was just using GN as a reference as a mod with a lot of stars that don't cause lag, just so he knows stars don't typically cause a hit to performance. 

16 minutes ago, Astrofox said:

How do you generate a brightness curve?

KittopiaTech is the best way to do it.

4 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I wasn't suggesting that, I was just using GN as a reference as a mod with a lot of stars that don't cause lag, just so he knows stars don't typically cause a hit to performance. 

I know, but I thought it was a worthy addition... it wouldn't be the first time I see people using wrong syntax because they copied it from GN

Just now, Sigma88 said:

I know, but I thought it was a worthy addition... it wouldn't be the first time I see people using wrong syntax because they copied it from GN

Oh I know. I always try to provide a cautionary slap on the wrist when I see it :wink: 

1 hour ago, EnriqueBNew said:

The orbits mess up! I played in 1.2.2 and when I launch a spacecraft, the orbits of the planets from mods misalign between node and orbit gradient. @Thomas P. can you make a version of Kopernicus for 1.2.2 with the orbits bugfix?

I have no idea what you are talking about, but you can use 1.2.2-7 which has all bug fixes and updates that 1.3.0-2 has. And I doubt seriously Thomas will be willing to work any further backwards than he already has for 1.2.2

Edited by Galileo

5 minutes ago, KerbolExplorer said:

are there tutorials on how to use it?

Not really. There are a lot of tutorials for how to make planets all over the forum though without using KittopiaTech initially. A quick search will wield some results.

13 hours ago, Astrofox said:

How do you generate a brightness curve?

This is the brightness curve for the stock sun:

ScaledVersion
		{
			Light
			{
				sunAU = 13599840256
				brightnessCurve
				{
					key = -0.01573471 0.217353 1.706627 1.706627
					key = 5.084181 3.997075 -0.001802375 -0.001802375
					key = 38.56295 1.82142 0.0001713 0.0001713
				}
			}
		}

I'd start with this by adding it to all your stars.  You can then adjust the numbers until you get what you want.  I'm assuming you understand floatCurves.  If not, then I recommend you start here.  

What the brightness curve does is it determines how big the star's sunflare appears from a distance.  The first number is the reciprocal of the distance in AU, and the second number is the diameter of the sunflare.

For example the first number in the second key is 5.084181.  This is a distance of 1/5.084181 = 0.196688513 AU, or 0.196688513*13599840256 = 2674932357 meters.  At that distance the sunflare will have a diameter of 3.997075 (units?).

This is the code for one of the stars: https://pastebin.com/6BNXbw66

Where do I place the light-curve stuff, and what do I need to delete (if anything)?

EDIT: I should mention that I basically copied from one of the kopernicus examples from about a year ago (I didn't pick this project up for a while).

Edited by Astrofox

A quick look at your cfg,

Solar power curve is depreciation and not used anymore. 

I probably would put an apostrophe in my directory.

If it's that much text, host it on a separate site like pastebin.com. Having huge blocks of text can cause issues on the forum, and send anyone following this thread phantom notifications. So I would remove it and post it again using a link 

21 minutes ago, Astrofox said:

This is the code for one of the stars: https://pastebin.com/6BNXbw66

Where do I place the light-curve stuff, and what do I need to delete (if anything)?

EDIT: I should mention that I basically copied from one of the kopernicus examples from about a year ago (I didn't pick this project up for a while).

I've never seen a node called "SolarLightColor".  I've always seen it named simply "Light".  Maybe both work, but I don't know.  The brightness curve goes under the light node, something like this:

ScaledVersion
		{
			Light
			{
				sunlightColor = 1.0,0.1,0.2,1.0
				sunlightIntensity = 0.82
				scaledSunlightColor = .0,0.15,0.2,1.0
				scaledSunlightIntensity = 0.55
				IVASunColor = 1.0,0.1,0.2,1.0
				IVASunIntensity = 0.55
				sunLensFlareColor = 1.0,0.1,0.2,1.0
				sunAU = 13599840256
				luminosity = 1360
				brightnessCurve
				{
					key = -0.01573471 0.217353 1.706627 1.706627
					key = 5.084181 3.997075 -0.001802375 -0.001802375
					key = 38.56295 1.82142 0.0001713 0.0001713
				}
			}
		}

You should also give the star a luminosity.  The luminosity as defined in KSP is the solar flux (measured in W/m2) at a distance from the star equal to the distance of the home world from its star (which may or may not be the same star).

25 minutes ago, Semtex said:

Any news on the solar panels problem?

there isn't a solar panel issue. If you are using mods that change solar panels at all, like Kerbalism or amp year, things will not work. Or, you can try going into the kopernicus config folder and adjust the solar panel cfg to not use kopernicus solar panels.

Edited by Galileo

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.