Should Mods and Updates be added to KSP for Xbox

They are also being spared from all the breaks and crashes that the new versions are suffering due Add'Ons. :)

You can't have the cake and eat it too. If you want a stable and reliable game (or the most close to that you can get), you need to use only what the Author of the program says he can guarantee to work.

Try to imagine an add'on being updated and corrupting your savegame on the XBox - how you would rollback the add'on and recover the previous savegame?

Edited by Lisias
tasting my own medicine :)

8 hours ago, Rocketbanooza21 said:

the community who plays on this device thinks that they are being treated unevenly

They would be correct.  That's the way of things sometimes.  Squad (Along with Take Two) is business.  They allocate money based on perceived future profits.  They've already dumped quite a bit into fixing their botched job the first time.  Who knows if they still see consoles as a viable investment.

Name one game on Xbox that has official mod support, and you may receive my +1.

There goes the part I cannot properly write with correct words, (English grammar finally defeated me) so I'll try to simplify it:

There is one way for mods on consoles. Official mods maintained by the team. Like Asteroid Day (which was obviously recently implemented in Stock). They would have to act like free DLCs anyway.

There are mods on consoles, it's not an unprecedented ask, however if you're expecting anything like how it's done for KSP on PC you will come away disappointed. It will not be free and open sideloading for any mod any rando on the internet made for you in their spare time, it will be whatever gets approved into a console's walled garden that has been tested to not cause problems like, say, bricking your xbox. That's bad for business. Mods, while they can vastly increase the popularity and lifetime (and therefore sales) of a game, are a huge risk and headache for a dev/publisher/platform owner to support. They're not always feasible, and not always worth if it they are. If they decided mods for PC are doable, but mods for console are not worth the hassle, I would not call them hypocritical for it, though I can understand the disappointment.

3 hours ago, Rocketbanooza21 said:

Minecraft

Aren't they paid addons, approved by team holding the marketplace? Because that still fits within my definition.

This not going to work like, let's say, steam workshop, because everything that gets through into the store was verified before public release. Well, at least that's how it works on psstore, can't tell much about M$ except what I know about minecraft.

I think it would be possible. To achieve it, squad should follow the example of many steam games with steamwork support. Mods would have to obey a specific structure and have the ability to specify  dependencies like CKAN. The main problem of KSP are the many version of KSP with mod breaking changes, therefore the steamworkshop should be limited to a single KSP version.

To my knowledge, what few console games support mods generally only support item-based mods, with no additional code. For KSP, that would basically mean parts packs and nothing else.... not even Module Manager.

Those games that do have mods on consoles are generally also big-name titles like Skyrim, with huge audiences, for which the pain of validating mods for a console is worth it. KSP is not exactly a big fish. The console makers like their very secure sandbox, with no risk of Little Jimmy downloading a seedy mod containing a keylogger, the credit card info getting stolen, and Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo getting sued for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.