Is it ok to update mods yourself? if so how?

EeshSinGer

Hello, and welcome to the forums! :)

Moving this discussion about add-ons to Add-on Discussions.

3 hours ago, EeshSinGer said:

Hi im a guy who is a bit impatient for waiting for updates so can i update mods like mechjeb cuz its crucial to my ksp ships And i have it on all my ships that ive made so pls help or else i can access them :(

Legally speaking, you're generally allowed to do whatever you want to them, on your local machine-- as long as you keep it private and don't share the results with anyone.

Some mods may have permissive licenses that allow sharing modified versions, but if you're new to modding I would strongly advise against doing so, even if the license permits, as you'd be highly likely to to do a lot more harm than good.

As for "how"... completely depends on the individual mod. About the only general advice I could offer would be "learn to mod" and then "learn all the technical details of the mod you want to fix, until you understand it as well as the author does." It's not as though you can just push an "update" button or something. After all, if it were easy, it would already have been done. ;)

The best advice I could offer is to just be patient and wait for the mod author to update. It's probably your only realistic option. (And PLEASE don't go pester the mod author for an update, it's unhelpful. It'll be ready when it's ready).

If you have trouble being patient, then I would advise you either not to use mods, or else don't update your KSP until you know that the relevant mods you use have been updated, too.

@EeshSinGer For MechJeb are you using the Dev builds of MechJeb? There have been at least 10 updates since 1.6 came out with the latest only about 15 hours ago. Also most mods made for 1.4 or later will run on the latest 1.6. For the most part you can ignore AVC warnings about old mods. I'm finding them to be more of nuisance than useful. Unless you see people complaining about a mod being broke, it's probably fine. I know I have several mods that the "update" is just the mod maker changing the version file with no code changes so people will quit asking "Does this mod work in KSP version X.XX?".

Like Snark said you can do anything you want on your local machine. The simplest way to start is to google a tutorial on modding KSP

I don't want to sound dismissive, or discourage you, but... if you cannot find tutorials on how to make mods for KSP, you probably won't have much success making mods either. Finding how to get started is probably the single easiest step in the journey.

Computer programming is an art of solving problems. Nobody ever just makes a mod. They make an attempt, which doesn't work, and then they go and find out why it doesn't work and how they can fix it. Repeat this one hundred times, and they might have something close to an alpha version. If operating Google gives you trouble... well, there's no gentle way to say it, really. You will fail unless you learn how to find stuff.

So go back, and this time, really think about how to word your search query. Think about how a computer might interpretate what you wrote. Examine the results you get, determine the difference between what the computer actually understood and what you thought it would understand, and modify your search accordingly.

Edited by Streetwind

It must be a generational thing, but I hate how-to videos on technical topics since it means I have to pay attention listening and always rewinding rather than just look at a document when I'm ready for more. If you'r limiting yourself just to videos, you're going to be disappointed.

I wanted to do the same (maybe for a different reason) and actually created a lot of python scripts to compile all the mods I want/need by myself:

https://github.com/untoldwind/kerbal-env

So far this only works for the Linux version and I have not included MechJeb, 'cause I wanted to do everything with KOS. Still it might give you some hints.

You need to describe what you did and what the actual problem is. No one can work with a description like "I did something and now it doesn't do something." Right now the only advice people can give you is to remember really hard what you did and then undo that.

On 1/31/2019 at 3:34 PM, Harry Rhodan said:

You need to describe what you did and what the actual problem is. No one can work with a description like "I did something and now it doesn't do something." Right now the only advice people can give you is to remember really hard what you did and then undo that.

well i changed the version in the file that says version

5 hours ago, EeshSinGer said:

well i changed the version in the file that says version

That file only exists to add a warning to the launch screen. Changing it will not change anything in the mod or make it compatible. It is the equivalent of taking the menu of a fancy restaurant and adding "cheeseburger" on a random page and expecting them to serve cheeseburgers all of a sudden.

But Mechjeb has been updated on sunday so this whole topic is pretty much done.

4 hours ago, Harry Rhodan said:

That file only exists to add a warning to the launch screen. Changing it will not change anything in the mod or make it compatible. It is the equivalent of taking the menu of a fancy restaurant and adding "cheeseburger" on a random page and expecting them to serve cheeseburgers all of a sudden.

But Mechjeb has been updated on sunday so this whole topic is pretty much done.

well its not mechjeb is this space shuttle mod called space shuttle system the revival

Edited by EeshSinGer

That mod is for 1.4.5 which if you'd read the 3rd post in this thread I explained most mods written for 1.4 or later work just fine in the latest release no updates needed even if you get warnings that it's out of date. If you have a problem where it's not working the appropriate place to ask is in the thread for the mod and not in a new thread with highly ambiguous questions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.