Making points for a tread wheel?

I'm around halfway through making my first real model for KSP, a tiny-ISH continuous track model. I'm waiting to have some of these answered before I actually finish it and start figuring out what I need to do for the part's CFG, though:

• How do I set the radial attachment point for it? Do I do it in a CFG, Unity, or Blender?
  • How do I set up the animation and have it transfer over to Unity/KSP?

Thanks! Sorry if it's in the wrong place, I'm just super inexperienced with 3d modelling.

4 hours ago, somepersondunno said:

I'm around halfway through making my first real model for KSP, a tiny-ISH continuous track model. I'm waiting to have some of these answered before I actually finish it and start figuring out what I need to do for the part's CFG, though:

• How do I set the radial attachment point for it? Do I do it in a CFG, Unity, or Blender?
  • How do I set up the animation and have it transfer over to Unity/KSP?

Thanks! Sorry if it's in the wrong place, I'm just super inexperienced with 3d modelling.

HI not the wrong place, but this is right into KSP dark arts,  so first off there's no native support for tracks within KSP  this is due to the unity wheel collider which is essential  for anything that rolls in KSP ,   SO you need to use the marvellous KSPWheel plugin created by @Shadowmage created for the Kerbal foundries mod , and you should investigate that mod as it has  all the cfg info you'll need . Then you need to watch repeatedly  this video

and carry out all the steps in it to perfection, you'll be dealing with skinned mesh renders and probably for the first time so it's not going to be a ten minute task.  If you follow the video,  you have some understanding of how to set up unity models and rigging you be rewarded with being only the 3rd person I know of to have ever made working tracks from scratch .
I would not advise anyone who hasnt made a ksp wheel to try this as a first project, but if you have some experience with 3d modelling unity and ksp modding it's definitely doable .
Following the video, which i'd promised myself to do for many years I created several working sets of tracks and with a little guidance on setup from ShadowMage they all work perfectly

Sometime in the modelling process if it looks like this you're heading the right way
eniQ0el.png

which ends up being able to drive this around
1IX36VP.pngEycUJlO.png

Edit
sorry to say  that if you are lucky you'll be able to salvage the road wheels from your already made model,  but i doubt any other part will be of any use , parts HAVE to be set up exactly the right way for everything to function correctly

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)
imp info

1 minute ago, somepersondunno said:

Thank you so much! I've decided to kind of put the treads on the backburner and try to develop more modelling skill, but I'll for sure check this out when I'm confident in both my code and skills.

Good for you probably the best modding decision you've made , apart from getting into KSP modding obviously :)   Once you worked out how to do a wheel  try the tracks , one wheel is a  real pain  7-14 can be a nightmare all at once.   Good luck and take your time and most of all enjoy it

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.