Around Kerbin in 80 days - Triop's adventure, a live blog.

Triop

UPDATE

So a lot happened, Edberry drove over one of the retrectable solar panels which exploded leaving the Bugger upside down.

Kh0a2mK.png

We then placed a winch on the Bugger to attach to the jet to get it on it wheels again.

That resulted in freezing up the game. It might have something to do with us being on a mod runway, I don't know.

So we decided to fly in a new Bugger.

R&D came up with a great concept, but the new transport is just not efficient enough for a long trip.

Zzzzqph.png

So we stuck to our old but reliable design.

yseDfJk.png

Next up we found the pyramid, but low fuel forced us to push on to Edberry.

qxpEnpr.png

Then I ran out of fuel.

Yf0Azcd.png

There was still fuel left in the Bugger, but I didn't wanted to use that.

I figured we glide down and then drive the Bugger to Edberry.

Then this happened:

v0zUKJn.png

But we survived, once again.

8kgj7gG.png

After that I switched to Val's MiG-29 and we took off to explore the pyramid.

Then this happened:

So now Val is stuck by the pyramid and the Bugger needs to be driven to Edberry.

TBC, phew . . .

Edited by Triop

So let's bring the Bugger over.

ZuluyG6.png

Sure, why not . . . <_<

IYUWhbY.png

O yeah, do a flip aswell . . . <_<

rFHjTfc.png

Bye bye butt. :cool:

CsBwh26.png

I don't mind having no butt, but the wheels are shaken up, it keeps turning left now, we will try to fix that when we get to Edberry.

zQ4MNPt.png

TBC

Things gets worse . . .

Ok, so I was tuning and testing my new transport and kept on flying, after flying 35 minutes and sucking up 4000 LF I arrived . . .

WxYeyDZ.png

By now the jet is so light that it's very hard to control . .

hXLc5Jn.png

The craft survided, but computer says no . . .

kOcTK2S.png

GlT0DpK.png

So I restarted the whole game only to find that the jet is gone, killing 3 more Kerbals (Bob was one of them).

There is literally nobody left on the base except our students . . . :wacko:

Next up, trying to save the old buggy:

I used the winch and hook, but that seems to freeze my Kerbal and my inventory to disappear . . . :blink:

gJLgqgc.png

Then I tried pushing the bugger with my new bugger, something I knew was a stupid idea but felt worth trying....

Off course I was impatient again and didn't clean up the items that where still on the ground.

MXuIVU8.png

g8w8SdN.png

CpY037q.png

Yep, that just happened.

Now I have a runway full of debries and a empty KSC. . .

Happy times !

giphy.gif

TBC

23 minutes ago, NBDesigns said:

Looks like the Kraken Took up residence on your runway. 

6 minutes ago, Jacke said:

I think the Kraken has taken to following Triop, just looking for the least excuse...

Nah, it's just Triop being stupid that summons the Kraken :lol:

Glad to say the jet I'm flying now is very fast, very stable and lovely to fly/land.

4sMQkPN.png

LvDo82T.png

The plan now is to fly back with parts to build a motor and fix on of the Buggers.

I installed a crew cabin for more inventory space and for picking up crashed Kerbals.

vXKjgQi.png

I like the window in the intake. :cool:

TBC

We where back in no time, this jet is FAST !

d1UFaHf.png

NXd8hQc.png

Ok, let's build an engine. :cool:

TRwpSkG.png

PEFIxaa.png

1st fueltank is on, I need 2 more, 4 fuelcells and 2 solarpanels + KAS fuelcap.

So I tried getting the 2nd fueltank from the crew cabin, but it seems it's inventory can only be used when you bring Kerbals from the start . . . (Other Kerbals also can't access the cc inventory)

Looks like I have to go back, I might as well take Eribles home.

4BsZ8Gu.png

EDIT: I did dump the parts I had with me before I return to KSC

nvBIsvQ.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

We are back once again with the renegade master.

GkRsfzy.png

Let's do some mechanical stuff. :cool:

dy1M6la.png

LYcgQcw.png

eaAOs0t.png

S4I2QKo.png

6HdV5Kp.png

Next up, testing all the systems, will we be able to start driving again before day 9 ?

Edit: Oops ! Almost forgot the solar panels . . .

WxirjBb.png

24Nc3Vd.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

WE ARE DRIVING AGAIN !

Did some driving on the runway, started our fuelcells and everything works perfect.

I still can't believe me made a whole new engine on the spot. :cool:

I'm glad we can continue with our original Bugger, I'm kinda attached to it now (no pun) :lol:

uCqCMm8.png

I see on the map that there is another Kerbalkonstruct base.

x9r4NCH.png

It will take some time before we get there . . .

It's dark....I hate driving in the dark . . . -_-

TBC

4 hours ago, Triop said:

Nah, it's just Triop being stupid that summons the Kraken

4 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

I think the Kraken follows all such unusual endeavors, just to see how badly they can mess things up for us enterprising individuals.

I think Triop pokes the Kraken very insistently...

1 hour ago, Triop said:

I'm glad we can continue with our original Bugger, I'm kinda attached to it now (no pun)

So I went and checked the meaning of "bugger" in a dictionary (English is not my mother tongue, I sometimes miss subtleties), I am very impressed by how versatile it is...

1 hour ago, Triop said:

It's dark....I hate driving in the dark

Your screenshots taken during the night are not always the most comfortable to look at either. You might want to leave Edberry some time to rest and sleep before he literally falls asleep at the wheel. Besides, you probably won't struggle to reach your goal in less than 80 days, even if you cut the night time driving by a bit (you can use that time to send resupplies missions, for example).

Edited by PunkyFickle

1 hour ago, PunkyFickle said:

So I went and checked the meaning of "bugger" in a dictionary (English is not my mother tongue, I sometimes miss subtleties), I am very impressed by how versatile it is...

I had to check it myself:

Bugger or "buggar" is a swear word. In the United Kingdom, the term is a general-purpose expletive, used to imply dissatisfaction, or to refer to someone or something whose behaviour is in some way displeasing or perhaps surprising. In the US, particularly in the Midwest and South, it is a slang but not offensive noun meaning "small critter."

I don't think it is really swearing, maybe if I named it **** or ****** or even ***** **** ******* *****, now that would be a problem... :lol:

The name fits though. :cool:

1 hour ago, PunkyFickle said:

Your screenshots taken during the night are not always the most comfortable to look at either. You might want to leave Edberry some time to rest and sleep before he literally falls asleep at the wheel. Besides, you probably won't struggle to reach your goal in less than 80 days, even if you cut the night time driving by a bit (you can use that time to send resupplies missions, for example).

Yeah, when I did pole2pole I relied on solar energy only, so I used the nights for side missions.

I'm not so sure I can make it in 80 days driving only in daytime, the further I'm getting away from KSC, the longer it takes to provide service when things go bad.

And we all know things will go bad . . . :sticktongue:

But for now things are looking good, It seems I'm driving ahead before sundown since we have daylight here ?

I don't know what I'm talking about, but it looks good for now. ^_^

TBC

Edited by Triop

@Triop, you should read this post by @taniwha and the following one by @Espatie about an interaction between KSP and KIS parts, stakes especially, but also seen with flags, perhaps other parts.  This could be the source of at least your disappearing flags and perhaps other issues.

Edited by Jacke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.