Around Kerbin in 80 days - Triop's adventure, a live blog.

Triop

Gee, I can't type: "the problem likes in" :blush:

I am 99% confident that is the cause of disappearing flags (there may be some other factors at different locations).

Oh, I should add: watch your flag count. I'm not sure what the threshold is, but with about 185 flags (and about 60 vessels), quickloads (especially after visiting the tracking station) take forever. I did some testing (merged the ~185 from my current save and ~60 flags from my KSP 0.21 save when I did a long Kerbin trek into a fresh, unmodded save) I found the following (applies to KSP 1.5.1 and 1.6.1, but not 1.4.5 or earlier)

1. Menu to Space Center: about 8 seconds
  2. Space Center to Tracking station: about 8 seconds
  3. Tracking Station to Space Center: about 8 seconds
  4. Space Center to Tracking station: about 50 seconds :o

I tested on KSP versions 1.2.2, 1.3.1, 1.4.5, 1.5.1 and 1.6.1. Only the last two demonstrated the slug.

And if you're wondering why 185 flags: I dropped over 172 flags on my Duna trek, 1 every 10km (minus one or two where I forgot to stop), plus some for points of interest (face, rover, pyramid, floating wrong, invisible collider step)

Hmm... I've found in my own time-intensive adventures that long periods of time at "real time" is a significant source of issues. After over an hour, it's a matter of when, not if, the Kraken comes to visit and/or my game locks up. I'm not sure why, but it's definitely a thing... And I'm suspicious that may be part of the issues you're facing, Triop.

6 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Hmm... I've found in my own time-intensive adventures that long periods of time at "real time" is a significant source of issues. After over an hour, it's a matter of when, not if, the Kraken comes to visit and/or my game locks up. I'm not sure why, but it's definitely a thing... And I'm suspicious that may be part of the issues you're facing, Triop.

Will you please stop scaring me ?

This is the reason I stopped playing subnautica . . .

:lol:

2 minutes ago, NBDesigns said:

Triop what do you use for your throttle control? Keyboard or joystick 

Hey all congrats on the 13th page of this adventure 

Old keyboard full of dirt causing all sorts of trouble.

Today page 13, tomorrow Februari 13th, we are all doomed . . .

17 minutes ago, Triop said:

Old keyboard full of dirt causing all sorts of trouble.

Today page 13, tomorrow Februari 13th, we are all doomed . . .

8 minutes ago, NBDesigns said:

13, 13’s May the kraken visit us all

Feb 13th merry krankmas 

... blink.gif

Nope nope nope. Not doing ANYTHING in my main KSP save tomorrow.

25 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

Considering I have played non-stop for 12h sometimes (yes, without reloading KSP), I have to disagree. Mind you, I was executing multi-hour burns ant 4x physwarp, so it wasn't that agressive on KSP. Also, I use Linux, so that might make a difference, but at the same time, my game is heavily modded. YMMV.

Anyway, rovers in KSP are HARD. I would say they make space planes look easy (and space planes make rockets look easy). They even make low TWR landings look easy. Why? The terrain. While natural terrain is bumpy (and often deadly), we at least have physical feedback telling us when we're going too fast for the terrain. Also, KSP's terrain is very unnatural because it is made up of flat planes rather than large scale (0.5m+)  smooth curves.

Really, the only reason playing for long periods of time invites the kraken is fatigue. It is recommended that one stop every two hours or so for a half-hour break when driving on a nice smooth road, yet when it comes to KSP,, there are no smooth roads and who takes a break every two hours? On my Duna Trek, I wound up taking a break every ten minutes or so (but only to plant a flag, or less to load my last quicksave), but even that was not enough. By the end of that 1720+km (done over a week), I was pretty shattered, and the last 300km were a mess. The terrain was nasty, but nothing compared to my fatigue (yeah, I should not have pushed myself so hard).

Yes, but CPU speed differences won't invite the kraken, since KSP's time step is fixed at 20ms game-time (which means everybody gets the same physics regardless of CPU). It could conceivably be you running out of memory as I have had some really weird things occur when I ran out of memory using 32-bit KSP (on LInux (I had problems with 64-bit that turned out to be PEBCAK)), but that was KSP 0.21. I suggest that when a time-based kraken next attacks you, you should look in KSP.log: I suspect it will be rife with exceptions+stack traces.

9 minutes ago, Triop said:

Here you can see the location of the temple, we won't go there.

That's either a very good idea (don't offend the Elder Gods who may not have noticed you) or a very bad idea (the Elder Gods are offended you are not sufficiently obsequious).  I'm sure we'll soon find out which it was. :)

8 minutes ago, Jacke said:

That's either a very good idea (don't offend the Elder Gods who may not have noticed you) or a very bad idea (the Elder Gods are offended you are not sufficiently obsequious).  I'm sure we'll soon find out which it was. :)

Either way, we, the outside observers, win. :D

7 minutes ago, Jacke said:

That's either a very good idea (don't offend the Elder Gods who may not have noticed you) or a very bad idea (the Elder Gods are offended you are not sufficiently obsequious).  I'm sure we'll soon find out which it was.

You know what would be scarry ?

If I start up my game tomorrow and find the temple statue if front of my Bugger, looking straight at me . . .

cprELep.jpg

NEW SPEED RECORD: 55.5 m/s !

nBV2tvA.png

Checkpoint 17

xQ4pZHS.png

TBC

9 minutes ago, roboslacker said:

Well, you're almost through the 13th day on the 13 page. Nothing bad can happen at this point. Nothing at all. Nothing can go wrong in the few hours left today, Everything will go just fine.

Don't jinx me :lol:

Anyway, it's valentine's day here now, I hope the gods love me... :cool:

EDIT:

I DON'T LIKE YOU !

OLMMc0V.png

li0pLEi.png

giphy.gif

Edited by Triop

OMG, this is ridiculous . . .

So, I thought, we had this before, just take a wheel of, push it back on the remaing wheels and place the wheel back using the KIS mod . . .

3Y0g5oL.png

6CIdHdi.png

ALO6rla.png

Done, now let's place the wheel back....

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE

Because I've taken of 1 wheel, the handbreak was reset and the Bugger started rolling downhill on it's 3 remaining wheels. :confused:

qXgvoLS.png

So Edberry started running towards the Bugger, but after minutes of running we discovered the Bugger hasn't stopped.

No matter how hard he ran, the Bugger kept going further and further.

MASgFjZ.png

I'm over 1000 meters away from my wheel now and the Bugger keeps going further away from me.

I had to do something....FAST.

Cause we couldn't let the Bugger do the Elcano on it's own without a driver. :lol:

So hastly I switched over to the Bugger and it was driving stationary. :o

No way I can control the Bugger, there is no driver after all.

The only thing I could think of was warping speed, hoping the Bugger would stop eventually.

So I warped . . .

0nK3INd.png

The Bugger started jumping in all directions so I stopped warp immediatly.

dfcPJZP.png

The Bugger is now back on it's back and I need to walk a kilometer to get there, then somehow put it back on it's wheels without it taking of again and drive 2,2 kilometers to pick up the wheel....

G2Hlc1U.png

giphy.gif

TBC

Edited by Triop

After running for minutes, we got to the Bugger.

lybJPUY.png

We are not going to make the same mistake again, Edberry got in the Bugger and shut down all the motors before pushing it back on it's remaining wheels.

QUuPP1V.png

Then Edberry started driving back to the wheel.

We turned on steering for our back wheel so we are not dragging the Bugger all the time.

zLSKNhI.png

We arrived at the wheel and Edberry got out to collect it, as soon as he tried to place it near the Bugger this happened:

MXivRIs.png

The wheel exploded, so now we are stranded in the desert with our 3 wheeler.....Wait.

giphy.gif

z4NmcgH.png

6XHMv5W.png

NWV71Qm.png

giphy.gif

TBC :cool:

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.