Around Kerbin in 80 days - Triop's adventure, a live blog.

Triop

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

I have a cunning plan....

Fly around Kerbin.

Even at 100m/s, it'll take under 11 hours.  You just need an aircraft with a range of 3800km.

An amazing aircraft. :)

At 1500m/s, it's easy to do multiple circumnavs in one flight. If I were do do it slower, I'd run a Wheesley at Mach 1.8 (~600m/s). You'd just have to optimize for the most efficient altitude to get that done at. I'd guess around 10 - 13km.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/J-33_"Wheesley"_Turbofan_Engine

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbin#Atmosphere

So, you'd be running at about a 0.2 thrust multiplier. Wheesleys use 0.23 LF/s at 0 elevation and 0 speed.

0.23 LF/s * 0.2 = 0.046 LF/s.

3800 km / 0.6 km/s = 6333 s

6333 s * 0.046 LF = 291 LF.

Totally doable if you can make a plane slippery enough to maintain that speed at that altitude and thrust level. Realistically, you should be able to circumnav a Wheesley on a couple of Mk1 LF tanks at most.

I redid the math for 100 m/s, and I'm conservatively guessing 5200 units (26T) of fuel. It might be doable on one Wheesely with enough wing.

2 hours ago, Jacke said:

I have a cunning plan....

Fly around Kerbin.

Even at 100m/s, it'll take under 11 hours.  You just need an aircraft with a range of 3800km.

An amazing aircraft. :)

A light aircraft can fly around Kerbin in one hour using only 400 LF.

I don't know much about electric engines, but a solar flying circumnavigate would be a great challenge (if possible).

I might look into that.

For now I'm busy with my career mode without leaving Kerbin.

SjcrYsP.png

:ph34r:

4 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

At 1500m/s, it's easy to do multiple circumnavs in one flight. If I were do do it slower, I'd run a Wheesley at Mach 1.8 (~600m/s). You'd just have to optimize for the most efficient altitude to get that done at. I'd guess around 10 - 13km.

I said 100m/s just to get a low-speed estimate of maximum flight time.  At 600m/s, the circumnavigation could be done in 2 hours.  One session.

3 hours ago, Triop said:

A light aircraft can fly around Kerbin in one hour using only 400 LF.

I don't know much about electric engines, but a solar flying circumnavigate would be a great challenge (if possible).

I might look into that.

Do it!  It's what the late Jebediah Kerman would want.

3 hours ago, Triop said:

For now I'm busy with my career mode without leaving Kerbin

Cool!

If you guys are interested I can start a new thread in the mission reports section showing my adventures.

Anybody up for that ?

I'm doing lot's of different KSP stuff daily and I won't mind reporting on that.

7 hours ago, Triop said:

If you guys are interested I can start a new thread in the mission reports section showing my adventures.

Anybody up for that ?

I'm doing lot's of different KSP stuff daily and I won't mind reporting on that.

Why not, you get more creative seeing other people's work.

@NBDesignsI do have a heavy expedition vehicle in mind, but I'll launch a small scale one first to test out equipment and driving. It's up in mission report now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.