Around Kerbin in 80 days - Triop's adventure, a live blog.

Triop

DAY 13, Checkpoint 42

Not much to show you, flipped 3 times though, but nothing happened.

JAAEuls.png

n3RXKa0.png

9fAjRiE.png

Upcoming km's will be boring too, but hey, that's part of the game I guess . . .

TBC

Edited by Triop

DAY 13, what can go wrong....

WELL, EVERYTHING !

QMvTO6E.png

BxMcCw3.png

Maybe I should take a few days off and do some other things.

We have 67 days left, We will fly in a new buggy to Edberry's grave later and continue this monsterous adventure.

RIP Eddy . . .

giphy.gif

TBC

Been out of likes the whole day.  But....

1 hour ago, Triop said:

DAY 13, what can go wrong....

WELL, EVERYTHING !

Maybe I should take a few days off and do some other things.

We have 67 days left, We will fly in a new buggy to Edberry's grave later and continue this monsterous adventure.

RIP Eddy . . .

Whoa.  Pole to pole, 2 rovers (I think) and no Kerbals lost.  Around the world, at first glance only twice as far, but how many rovers in whole and in part; and it's almost vacated the Astronaut Complex.

Who's the next victim driver ?

13 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Been out of likes the whole day.  But....

Whoa.  Pole to pole, 2 rovers (I think) and no Kerbals lost.  Around the world, at first glance only twice as far, but how many rovers in whole and in part; and it's almost vacated the Astronaut Complex.

Who's the next victim driver ?

Yeah, it's a disaster compared to P2P, look at the fragile buggy I used there...

o82KipN.png

I need some time off here and come back fresh with a new design.

1 hour ago, Triop said:

Yeah, it's a disaster compared to P2P, look at the fragile buggy I used there...

I need some time off here and come back fresh with a new design.

I've barely used the TR-2L wheels used on your current Bugger.  Mostly I've used the M1 wheels that you had on the P2P rover.  Do the M1's have more play in their suspension?  The TR-2L's are potentially faster, though.

4 hours ago, Jacke said:

Do the M1's have more play in their suspension?  The TR-2L's are potentially faster, though.

I have no idea, I used to just slap wheels on and drive until @NBDesigns started tuning my Bugger wheels (learned a lot from that, thanks, clearly not enough since I've killed so many Kerbals).

They are faster indeed, and even more rugged then the M1's.

To be honest I pushed that little trike to the limit, it seemed indestructable on it's 3 wheels bouncing all over without more damage.

Not saying it was OP, after all the Tumbler is made of stock parts, but it was like I was driving without risk draining all the fun out of it.

I want chaos, rescue missions, new design roadsters, but not killing Kerbals . . .

E1TWBSG.png

TBC, not giving up.

4plyWn5.png

Edited by Triop

ya new design could be cool, I feel that moving to an Open Command Seat in a cage would keep a kerbal alive much longer. If you were to want to still use the inline mk1 command pod adding a bit of caging using Cubic_Octagonal_Strut to "shield" the command pod. 

If its not too "cheaty" ,"not stock" then you can go into your mk1 command pod .cfg file and change its m/s tolerance from 40m/s before it crashes to 80 or 1000 and its G's tolerance from 50g's to something higher... This may be too far on the OverPowered of keeping a kerbal alive.

Edited by NBDesigns

34 minutes ago, NBDesigns said:

ya new design could be cool, I feel that moving to an Open Command Seat in a cage would keep a kerbal alive much longer. If you were to want to still use the inline mk1 command pod adding a bit of caging using Cubic_Octagonal_Strut to "shield" the command pod.

One problem with using just the Command Seat is with it alone, I think you only get a single flag to place.  The Kerbal doesn't get another until back in a pod and EVA again.

On 2/28/2019 at 6:28 AM, NBDesigns said:

Hey Triop when you come back I hope to have a couple of designs for ya

I'm back.

Alltough I'm not going to continue this adventure for now, it drove me mad...

I'm very interested in your designs though.

You tuned my Bugger's wheels into perfection on this trip, your wheel configuration and my three wheeler made it impossible to fail.

I failed on boredom, knowing I had to drive this "Mary Sue" for miles and miles more, or kilometers to come...

TBC ? :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Triop said:

I'm back.

Alltough I'm not going to continue this adventure for now, it drove me mad...

Well, that makes me sad.  But understandable.

What's the distance, over 3 times as far as Pole2Pole?  And I suspect less interesting with the slower change of latitude.

And the problem is when you push the speed to get it done faster, you risk Kerbal-killing krashes.

How about trying a session once a week?  Maybe find a way to spice it up?

9 hours ago, Triop said:

No, it has failed, it takes too much for a human to do this...

I’d say the next best thing is a rescue mission to get Edberry from his spot, bring edberry home. 

Or leave him in eternal bliss of the great out doors

Maybe use mechjeb or rover autopilot to drive in the background sorta thing. 

I was thinking of trying to develop rocket booster that you strap on like a seportron that would boost and run out of fuel but like an arcade game regenerate fuel to boost again. Fun for rover speed or hill climb mountain climbing 

Such perilous trails and a tragic journey, sad to hear that you're not continuing it anytime soon.
Many thanks for the entertainment you have provided for the last one-and-a-half months, it has been quite amusing to read.
Now, I shall take a break from all the R&D and test flights, and embark on my own elcano journey.:wink:

On 3/8/2019 at 12:52 AM, Triop said:

No, it has failed, it takes too much for a human to do this...

I have a cunning plan....

Fly around Kerbin.

Even at 100m/s, it'll take under 11 hours.  You just need an aircraft with a range of 3800km.

An amazing aircraft. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.