Jump to content

Around Kerbin in 80 days - Triop's adventure, a live blog.


Triop
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

I have a cunning plan....

Fly around Kerbin.

Even at 100m/s, it'll take under 11 hours.  You just need an aircraft with a range of 3800km.

An amazing aircraft. :)

At 1500m/s, it's easy to do multiple circumnavs in one flight. If I were do do it slower, I'd run a Wheesley at Mach 1.8 (~600m/s). You'd just have to optimize for the most efficient altitude to get that done at. I'd guess around 10 - 13km.

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/J-33_"Wheesley"_Turbofan_Engine

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Kerbin#Atmosphere

So, you'd be running at about a 0.2 thrust multiplier. Wheesleys use 0.23 LF/s at 0 elevation and 0 speed.

0.23 LF/s * 0.2 = 0.046 LF/s.

3800 km / 0.6 km/s = 6333 s

6333 s * 0.046 LF = 291 LF.

Totally doable if you can make a plane slippery enough to maintain that speed at that altitude and thrust level. Realistically, you should be able to circumnav a Wheesley on a couple of Mk1 LF tanks at most.

I redid the math for 100 m/s, and I'm conservatively guessing 5200 units (26T) of fuel. It might be doable on one Wheesely with enough wing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jacke said:

I have a cunning plan....

Fly around Kerbin.

Even at 100m/s, it'll take under 11 hours.  You just need an aircraft with a range of 3800km.

An amazing aircraft. :)

A light aircraft can fly around Kerbin in one hour using only 400 LF.

I don't know much about electric engines, but a solar flying circumnavigate would be a great challenge (if possible).

I might look into that.

 

For now I'm busy with my career mode without leaving Kerbin.

SjcrYsP.png

:ph34r:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

At 1500m/s, it's easy to do multiple circumnavs in one flight. If I were do do it slower, I'd run a Wheesley at Mach 1.8 (~600m/s). You'd just have to optimize for the most efficient altitude to get that done at. I'd guess around 10 - 13km.

I said 100m/s just to get a low-speed estimate of maximum flight time.  At 600m/s, the circumnavigation could be done in 2 hours.  One session.

 

3 hours ago, Triop said:

A light aircraft can fly around Kerbin in one hour using only 400 LF.

I don't know much about electric engines, but a solar flying circumnavigate would be a great challenge (if possible).

I might look into that.

Do it!  It's what the late Jebediah Kerman would want.

 

3 hours ago, Triop said:

For now I'm busy with my career mode without leaving Kerbin

Cool!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you guys are interested I can start a new thread in the mission reports section showing my adventures.

Anybody up for that ?

I'm doing lot's of different KSP stuff daily and I won't mind reporting on that.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Triop said:

If you guys are interested I can start a new thread in the mission reports section showing my adventures.

Anybody up for that ?

I'm doing lot's of different KSP stuff daily and I won't mind reporting on that.

 

 

Why not, you get more creative seeing other people's work.

@NBDesignsI do have a heavy expedition vehicle in mind, but I'll launch a small scale one first to test out equipment and driving. It's up in mission report now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...