Revamping the Mk2 Lander Can in KSP 1.6

SQUAD

42 minutes ago, Moostic said:

Memes aside, the model used in said meme seems to have some pretty remarkable detail compared to the one used in game.
Any chance the model could be made public for other potential content creators?

It's the same model used in the game.

That was absolutely fascinating.... as a guy that's coded for 30 years, but can't make a recognizable stick figure, it's neat to see what goes into the artistic side of making games.

Watching all the Blender or Unity or whatever design app that was... had me spellbound.

i have a feel there is more to come... surprise, surprise :rolleyes:

The lander can conversion is fantastic, i really hope that Squad continues to release more content and new game mechanics, KIS/KAS and NFT like... additional locations like asteroid or kuiperbelt objects would be awesome, and new ressources, mining mechanics, oh, lifesupport...      :0.0::0.0:

I hate this revamp. But I hate it EVEN MORE THAN the First version. (of the revamp)

But! The Upper-Right Quick Window Mockup looks Very GOOD! It is better than what we have now! It's NARROW!

Edited by Gapone

3 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I'm curious as to what they were using as the base for that rover...

Structural panels, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Gapone said:

I hate this revamp. But I hate it EVEN MORE THAN the First version. (of the revamp)

But! The Upper-Right Quick Window Mockup looks Very GOOD! It is better than what we have now! It's NARROW!

You again... All you seem to do is complain about how things are wrong and/or bad. Do you ever have anything NICE to say?

6 minutes ago, MaverickSawyer said:

You again... All you seem to do is complain about how things are wrong and/or bad. Do you ever have anything NICE to say?

NO

Edited by Gapone

6 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

6 hours ago, Gapone said:

NO

Seriously?

[snip]

Back on topic for the thread... I love the insight into the design and development process of the lander can. The overhaul was much needed, and I appreciate the fact that SQUAD took community feedback into consideration on the windows.

57 minutes ago, Gapone said:

But really, variants with those windows would be cool.

The only thing tripping that up would be that the IVA would probably have to significantly change, so SQUAD would have to come up with some kind of IVA switcher. Otherwise it’s a decent idea.

EDIT: Oops, didn’t realise you were talking about something different. Disregard this :P

Edited by RealKerbal3x

44 minutes ago, Gapone said:

But really, variants with those windows would be cool.

Do you mean the one with the thin window frames? It was community feedback that got that changed. Nice big windows with very thin window frames didn't look strong enough to be space worthy, so they changed it. 

11 hours ago, Deddly said:

Do you mean the one with the thin window frames? It was community feedback that got that changed. Nice big windows with very thin window frames didn't look strong enough to be space worthy, so they changed it. 

This is spot on. The newer version with the more substantial surround bracing looks better from a visual weighting standpoint and also from a structural design ilk. That said, its a shame that you can tell, and its visually very obvious, that the overall aesthetic of the revamped lander can is VERY driven by the 3D Modelling software and not driven by creative thought.

Unless you are extremely fluent in organic surface modelling you really shouldn't be designing/conceptualizing bespoke artwork inside the modelling software environment from the get-go and instead iterate upon sketch after sketch until you're happy with your new design... then implement that design in the modelling software. Otherwise, as I think can be argued with the revamped lander can, you end up designing a piece of artwork that takes on the primitive shapes and limitations of polygonal modelling resulting in something that is just a combination of primitives, essentially (a flat sided cylinder with a collection of rectangular holes in the front).

12 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

Unless you are extremely fluent in organic surface modelling you really shouldn't be designing/conceptualizing bespoke artwork inside the modelling software environment from the get-go and instead iterate upon sketch after sketch until you're happy with your new design... then implement that design in the modelling software. Otherwise, as I think can be argued with the revamped lander can, you end up designing a piece of artwork that takes on the primitive shapes and limitations of polygonal modelling resulting in something that is just a combination of primitives, essentially (a flat sided cylinder with a collection of rectangular holes in the front).

This. Whatever other faults the old design may have had, what it did have over the new design was some visual interest. I was building some landers with the new design the other night, and they all just wind up looking like slab-sided 2.5m-diameter cylinders. Kinda bland.

On 1/24/2019 at 10:41 AM, Deddly said:

So why don't you @SQUAD give us nice small windows with thin frames?

4 hours ago, Gapone said:

So why don't you @SQUAD give us nice small windows with thin frames?

I can't speak for Squad, but it was the thin frames that were the problem.

Here is an example of real windows on the International Space Station. Look how thick and strong the frames are.

1.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.